JS, Just when will we know? | Syracusefan.com

JS, Just when will we know?

Sunday 2:30 PM.

He'll either be in warm-ups, or street clothes.

May not even know on Sunday. We don't seem to know for sure just what the meeting, or whatever it is on Friday, is really for. Is it an initial review, an appeal of a previous decision, a final action or what. Don't know if there will be a decision on the spot,.the next day or next month.

Which JS are you speaking of, John Syracuse or James Southerland?

Is the hearing to be decided by students or faculty/staff, or some combo thereof?

Probably going to know Friday night early Saturday early...You know this will spread like wild fire.

IIRC from past incidents, there are (at least) three levels: the initial hearing, the appeal, and then a possible final appeal that can overturn the appeal hearing. This is what happened with Devo, who was found guilty, then lost his appeal and was suspended from the university for the spring semester, but got a reprieve when a second review upheld the original finding but reduced the actual penalty. Of course, that was a disciplinary issue and not an academic one.

from the outside, it looks like we are in the middle of a similar process. Clearly, James was found "guilty" (for lack of a better term) of something and declared ineligible. Friday is his appeal of that finding. Whether there is a third board to which he can take Friday's result - if necessary - I don't know (because this is academic and not disciplinary).

I do think it might be telling that apparently he was declared ineligible to play but not suspended. That tells us something about the severity of the incident - I believe that if it was a serious plagiarism or other academic integrity breach, it would have been a suspension and he wouldn't be sitting on the bench. So, given that it appears to be a less serious issue, then I hold out hope that the appeal will be granted or at least the penalty reduced.

of course, this is all conjecture, so who knows?

Listen for boos or cheers when they announce the players on the jumbotron

IIRC from past incidents, there are (at least) three levels: the initial hearing, the appeal, and then a possible final appeal that can overturn the appeal hearing. This is what happened with Devo, who was found guilty, then lost his appeal and was suspended from the university for the spring semester, but got a reprieve when a second review upheld the original finding but reduced the actual penalty. Of course, that was a disciplinary issue and not an academic one.

from the outside, it looks like we are in the middle of a similar process. Clearly, James was found "guilty" (for lack of a better term) of something and declared ineligible. Friday is his appeal of that finding. Whether there is a third board to which he can take Friday's result - if necessary - I don't know (because this is academic and not disciplinary).

I do think it might be telling that apparently he was declared ineligible to play but not suspended. That tells us something about the severity of the incident - I believe that if it was a serious plagiarism or other academic integrity breach, it would have been a suspension and he wouldn't be sitting on the bench. So, given that it appears to be a less serious issue, then I hold out hope that the appeal will be granted or at least the penalty reduced.

This got me thinking, did Devo get to sit on the bench during his suspension? I can't remember.

I can't wait. Anything short of a full reinstatement, apology from the NCAA and University and having the 3 loses removed from our record will leave my disappointed.

This got me thinking, did Devo get to sit on the bench during his suspension? I can't remember.
no, he was banned from all campus activities until he completed his 40 hours of community service, which he was able to do over the holiday break when there were no games scheduled, so he ended up missing only a couple of games

no, he was banned from all campus activities until he completed his 40 hours of community service, which he was able to do over the holiday break when there were no games scheduled, so he ended up missing only a couple of games
I remember community service part. This seems to be a different situation as far as suspension/eligibility go.

I remember community service part. This seems to be a different situation as far as suspension/eligibility go.
yeah, that was a disciplinary case and this is academic, so there might be no correlation at all. but it seems that there is always a final place of appeal (as in the yahoo drug story last year) that can set things right adjust the outcome.

yeah, that was a disciplinary case and this is academic, so there might be no correlation at all. but it seems that there is always a final place of appeal (as in the yahoo drug story last year) that can set things right.
I'm just guessing but I don't even think this has hit the final appeal yet. If there is even one in this case.

crapamundo, think the good earlier rumor I heard was wrong and then some.

Although conjecture as you mention, this line of thinking, at least to me, makes quite a bit of sense. I also think, if he receives 'good news' tomorrow, his time served should be plenty in regards to any additional penalty. Anyone that pays any attention to college sports in general, knows about his elibility issues, etc. & how nationally publicized it has been. The accompanied stigma has beared its 'beast of burden.'

Well that's encouraging couchburn

This is maddening. Dueling sources each saying the opposite thing on JS. What concerns me more is the and then some part. Guess time will tell on all.

I think the bit you all are missing is that this type of suspension can be purely defensive. In other words, there may have been no official ruling of anything at this point. If there is even a hint of something that could turn out to be a problem academically, they would have to hold him out as a preventive measure so games are not vacated.

I posted this last year, but to me this type of issue is a gigantic area where college basketball could be exploited by gamblers, cranks, malicious fans, whatever...

How hard would it be to put together a scheme whereby a team has to proactively sit a star player out for say a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game in order to avoid the possibility of the game being vacated if whatever accusation turned out to be true? Remember the dude from K-State who got suspended literally hours before tipoff against us last year because somebody found a reciept in a trash can? It would be SOOO easy to plant enough "reasonable doubt" about a player's eligibility to force a
conscientious/conservative AD to sit him for a critical game, and to force this action long after most bets have been placed.

you planted that receipt, didn't you? ya crank!!!!

I think the bit you all are missing is that this type of suspension can be purely defensive. In other words, there may have been no official ruling of anything at this point. If there is even a hint of something that could turn out to be a problem academically, they would have to hold him out as a preventive measure so games are not vacated.

I posted this last year, but to me this type of issue is a gigantic area where college basketball could be exploited by gamblers, cranks, malicious fans, whatever...

How hard would it be to put together a scheme whereby a team has to proactively sit a star player out for say a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game in order to avoid the possibility of the game being vacated if whatever accusation turned out to be true? Remember the dude from K-State who got suspended literally hours before tipoff against us last year because somebody found a reciept in a trash can? It would be SOOO easy to plant enough "reasonable doubt" about a player's eligibility to force a
conscientious/conservative AD to sit him for a critical game, and to force this action long after most bets have been placed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom