JT III Out at Georgetown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JT III Out at Georgetown

I'm curious to hear what Townie's take is on this one. If I recall correctly, he was quite emphatic on his view as to why JT III wouldn't be getting the axe anytime soon. Along the same lines to his emphatic position as to why Maryland would never leave the ACC for the B1G.

I'm curious to hear what Townie's take is on this one. If I recall correctly, he was quite emphatic on his view as to why JT III wouldn't be getting the axe anytime soon. Along the same lines to his emphatic position as to why Maryland would never leave the ACC for the B1G.

I didn't think they had the guts.

Let's see what happens. There are other feet that might fall.

I didn't think they had the guts.

Let's see what happens. There are other feet that might fall.

I'm sure the new coach will be within the Thompson (coaching) family

I've been posting here for years and I have been wrong on a few things. I had very good inside info on the Maryland deal, but even an officer in the Terrapin Club didn't think that would happen.

The only way to never be wrong is to never state an opinion ... like others here who are like those birds that eat the bugs off the backs of the rhinos as they graze.

I would cut him a break on the Maryland one. Debbie Yow killed their AD and left them so much in the red that the school basically sold its soul to the Big Ten to keep their AD from having to cut sports.

Alums like Tom McMullen with actual juice couldn't stop the Maryland President.

On Georgetown he was wrong. I think he will own that. We all get stuff wrong.

I've been posting here for years and I have been wrong on a few things. I had very good inside info on the Maryland deal, but even an officer in the Terrapin Club didn't think that would happen.

The only way to never be wrong is to never state an opinion ... like others here who are like those birds that eat the bugs off the backs of the rhinos as they graze.
We disagree a lot but I agree with your second sentence. Nothing wrong being wrong as long as the person owns it.

Be interesting to see who they interview and who they hire.

I'm reminded of those on here who seeming speak with supreme confidence that after Boeheim SU will be hire an up and coming, hot coach or a top coach from another P-5 school that will do as least a good a job as JB and that will probably be an upgrade.

GU grad here; I previously posted re Pearl's illness and subsequent passing.

JT3 lost the support of the alumni fan base as the last two seasons progressed (or tanked, depending on your perspective), and the undergrads largely stopped caring about Hoya basketball. A student protest was scheduled for Friday (not that they have anything better to do).

Most damning was the failure of his teams to show any improvement as the last two seasons went on. This was not the Hoya team you hated, and certainly not the one I loved. There was no ability shown to play defense or rebound, and the offensive scheme (if I can call it that) was sheer disorganization. It was largely unwatchable.

It was time for JT3 to go. Irrespective of his father's shadow, which still looms over the program, the basketball program was cratering. The question was whether Georgetown could fund a buyout on the contract, which (it was speculated) had another three years to run at approximately $3M per year.

Reports are that Jack DeGioia (the university president) and Lee Reed (the athletic director) did not want to fire JT3. The GU Board of Trustees did, and forced the issue.

Who's next in line? I don't think it's going to be Amaker or Ewing. If I were a betting person, I'd put my money on Danny Hurley or King Rice.

Townie definitely wasn't wrong in how much influence John Thompson Jr. still wields in that athletic department, specifically the basketball program. We'll see where it goes from here.

Move over son. If Jim Boeheim can keep going, then so can I. I'm back!

Someone throw a towel over my shoulder please.

A truly funny post.

The differences between the father and the son arre so great, I sometimes wonder of JT III might have been the milkman's son.

The son is mild as milquetoast. He was cerebral and seemed principled. He did not bring in thug after thug and then run them off when they didn't work out on the team or in the classroom or off-campus.

The father was driven and ruthless. He was unprincipled in action and shameless in offering excuses or covering up. He was vicious with anyone who he thought was an enemy. And he thought lots of people were his enemies.

He cowed the weak-kneed GU administration and the writers at the Washington Post and the talking heads on the radio.

He stormed off the court during the game protesting ANY ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER on his players. The spineless TV guys gushed over him and said he was "brave" for doing this.

He played the Jesuits and DeGoia (who thinks he's a Jesuit) like a violin.

Kevin Broadus JT3's lead recruiter becomes available.
Has some recruiting violation baggage from Binghampton. But Gtown has always brought in good talent.

A truly funny post.

The differences between the father and the son arre so great, I sometimes wonder of JT III might have been the milkman's son.

The son is mild as milquetoast. He was cerebral and seemed principled. He did not bring in thug after thug and then run them off when they didn't work out on the team or in the classroom or off-campus.

The father was driven and ruthless. He was unprincipled in action and shameless in offering excuses or covering up. He was vicious with anyone who he thought was an enemy. And he thought lots of people were his enemies.

He cowed the weak-kneed GU administration and the writers at the Washington Post and the talking heads on the radio.

He stormed off the court during the game protesting ANY ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER on his players. The spineless TV guys gushed over him and said he was "brave" for doing this.

He didn't choose his father...but he's stuck with him
I despise father and son.
I LOOOOOAAATHE G-town.

And this is a great birthday present for SU's 100th anniversary tomorrow.

I LOOOOOAAATHE G-town.

*147th

Townie definitely wasn't wrong in how much influence John Thompson Jr. still wields in that athletic department, specifically the basketball program. We'll see where it goes from here.

And in Washington, DC in general.

If he gets behind the next coach visibility, it might not be so bad.

But if he doesn't ...

But I don't think GU would have done this without understanding where JT Jr was on this and what his stance was likely to be.

I am hugely surprised he agreed (It indeed he did).

Part of the reason JT Jr was hired and supported by the GU administration was the idea of building a bridge to the "community". And they weren't talking about the community in Chevy Chase or in American University Village.

I LOOOOOAAATHE G-town.

I think the University would prefer a sweater or six pairs of socks.

The Thompson's are old news. A rival from an almost forgotten age.

And it depends on what the meaning of the word is is.

It's a strange world.

People on one side recognize lies from people on the other side and they are out-raged.

But when their own side lies --- openly and outrageously --- it's like they have gone deaf.

A truly funny post.

I think this is my favorite Townie post of all time.

Perfect example of the Washington Post coverage of the Thompsons.

The headline of this piece says "JTIII "Will Not Return as GU Basketball Coach"

The text of the letter from GU President De Goia makes it clear he was fired.

I'm pretty sure that "Fired" is a shorter, more accurate description for headline than "Will Not Return". But the Post couldn't bring themselves to say it.

And JTIII did not resign. You would think GU would have given him that opportunity. Notice the link continues the subtle subterfuge with "parts ways". He was FIRED, you morons.

John Thompson III will not return as Georgetown basketball coach

JT III never got out of big john's shadow. and granted that was a big shadow . they needed a change.

I know you have. Just a little ribbing on my behalf. :) I'm an old-er fart too...I appreciate the candor and bluntness of your posts.

If this is right, then I wasn't the only one that was wrong.

This is from HoyaTalk. Georgetown leaks information like a sieve, so it's plausible.

It also ties with what I was saying which that was no way the AD or President DeGoia were going to fire JTIII.

"It wasn't the "groundswell of support" that got JT3 fired. Both the President & AD were firmly behind keeping JT3. It was the Board seeing the downfall of "Georgetown basketball". Tremont Waters wanting his release & players possibly transferring was the final straw for the Board. The Board overruled the President & AD and fired JT3."

You are probably right. He has been passed over for an NBA job. Ewing has paid his dues rising up from volunteer to lead assistant coach for Charlotte.

I think Georgetown has to call him if they are going to get the wrath of JT II.

Good. Don't hire a proven coach.

If this is right, then I wasn't the only one that was wrong.

This is from HoyaTalk. Georgetown leaks information like a sieve, so it's plausible.

It also ties with what I was saying which that was no way the AD or President DeGoia were going to fire JTIII.

"It wasn't the "groundswell of support" that got JT3 fired. Both the President & AD were firmly behind keeping JT3. It was the Board seeing the downfall of "Georgetown basketball". Tremont Waters wanting his release & players possibly transferring was the final straw for the Board. The Board overruled the President & AD and fired JT3."

What prospective coach would want in on a situation where neither the President nor the AD wanted a change? Good luck recruiting someone for that scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom