JT III Out at Georgetown | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JT III Out at Georgetown

My guy says the targets for Georgetown are
1. Shaka Smart 2. Tommy Amaker 3. Ed Cooley.
I might add Becker from UVM to the list, but I think you are right and they go after Smart.

My guy says the targets for Georgetown are
1. Shaka Smart 2. Tommy Amaker 3. Ed Cooley.

Shaka Smart is 31-35 at Texas.

Amaker pretty much failed at Michigan

Cooley, I aways thought. is a good coach. His teams seem to play better than thir talent.

Best available coach might be Crean based on his actual accomplishments.

Does anyone think its realistic to land Smart? I mean why leave Texas. He is getting big dollars, they have good facilities and its a football school so there isn't as much of a rush to succeed right away.

Those of you who were rooting for JB to retire sooner rather than later might want to watch how this plays out and how each of the candidates is flawed in some way.

Georgetown, in many ways, is equivalent to SU.

Does anyone think its realistic to land Smart? I mean why leave Texas. He is getting big dollars, they have good facilities and its a football school so there isn't as much of a rush to succeed right away.

Oh, for sure.

We aren't at the "Realistic" stage of this.

We are at the stage where all things are possible.

We are at the stage where the GU fans believe that their job is the best in the world and they can get anyone they want.

Reality comes later when the ideal coaches the fans would like say they aren't interested. Then they have to choose among the candidates for whom GU is a definite step up.

Getting someone to move laterally is tough. Why is the GU job so much better than the Texas job? Money? UT could buy and sell GU and not notice the impact on their balance sheet.

Questions I would ask if I were a coach interviewing for the GU job:

1. What will be John Thompson's role and relationship to the program if I get the job?

2. Will I be working for the AD only (and the President and the Board) or do I also have to satisfy John Thompson, Jr. Is he part of the interview process? Will he have input to who is interviewed and what the selection criteria are?

3. Will John Thompson, Jr. ever be undermining me with past players, the press, the President or anyone if I don't do what he thinks I ought to do?

4. Will he be sitting in the stands and sending his minions down to threaten fans with getting their asses kicked if he doesn't like what is being said?

5. Will he be talking to players with advice before games or during half times?

6. Will John Thompson, Jr be fully supportive and keep his mouth completely shut when he disagrees?

I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole.

You'll get no argument from me -- The General is my all time favorite player from SU.

Owens was the #1 recruit in the country, one of the most multi-talented versatile players we've ever had, cover of sports illustrated before he ever played a game, etc. I think some discount how good he was, because injuries derailed his NBA career. Kid was awesome.

But those three along with Pearl were the top talents from the golden era, IMO.

Alonzo Mourning was the consensus #1 rated recruit in the country that year, Owens was #2. :)

You'll get no argument from me -- The General is my all time favorite player from SU.

Owens was the #1 recruit in the country, one of the most multi-talented versatile players we've ever had, cover of sports illustrated before he ever played a game, etc. I think some discount how good he was, because injuries derailed his NBA career. Kid was awesome.

But those three along with Pearl were the top talents from the golden era, IMO.
Oh yeah. I wasn't looking at it from a pure talent perspective. More a college accomplishment perspective.

Really, I just look for any reason to talk about that era.

Questions I would ask if I were a coach interviewing for the GU job:

1. What will be John Thompson's role and relationship to the program if I get the job?

2. Will I be working for the AD only (and the President and the Board) or do I also have to satisfy John Thompson, Jr. Is he part of the interview process? Will he have input to who is interviewed and what the selection criteria are?

3. Will John Thompson, Jr. ever be undermining me with past players, the press, the President or anyone if I don't do what he thinks I ought to do?

4. Will he be sitting in the stands and sending his minions down to threaten fans with getting their asses kicked if he doesn't like what is being said?

5. Will he be talking to players with advice before games or during half times?

6. Will John Thompson, Jr be fully supportive and keep his mouth completely shut when he disagrees?

I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole.

So...you acknowledge that there are times when a Division 1 University shouldn't be afraid to offend tradition and make radical changes in direction now and then? :)

So...you acknowledge that there are times when a Division 1 University shouldn't be afraid to offend tradition and make radical changes in direction now and then? :)

Radical changes in direction are fraught with danger and are as likely as not to prove disastrous. It's easy to see a University like SU destroy it's basketball program with the wrong move. Look what's happened with the once very good football program. That could easily happen with basketball.

Georgetown's situation is completely different. They chose to make a change because things had pretty well fallen apart in the last two years.'

A truly funny post.

The differences between the father and the son arre so great, I sometimes wonder of JT III might have been the milkman's son.

The son is mild as milquetoast. He was cerebral and seemed principled. He did not bring in thug after thug and then run them off when they didn't work out on the team or in the classroom or off-campus.

The father was driven and ruthless. He was unprincipled in action and shameless in offering excuses or covering up. He was vicious with anyone who he thought was an enemy. And he thought lots of people were his enemies.

He cowed the weak-kneed GU administration and the writers at the Washington Post and the talking heads on the radio.

He stormed off the court during the game protesting ANY ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER on his players. The spineless TV guys gushed over him and said he was "brave" for doing this.

He played the Jesuits and DeGoia (who thinks he's a Jesuit) like a violin.
I could not agree more Townie. I've said that myself, jokingly, about JTIII. At least that he must take after momma.

Alonzo Mourning was the consensus #1 rated recruit in the country that year, Owens was #2. :)
More like 1A and 1B. The fact that they were both heading to the BE to become cogs in the SU-GU rivalry, was what made that year so special.
I believe they were co-MVP's of the McDonald's AA game. I remember watching them and thinking how great the next 4 years would be!

Radical changes in direction are fraught with danger and are as likely as not to prove disastrous. It's easy to see a University like SU destroy it's basketball program with the wrong move. Look what's happened with the once very good football program. That could easily happen with basketball.

Georgetown's situation is completely different. They chose to make a change because things had pretty well fallen apart in the last two years.'

Regarding SU Football, some might say that the last few coaching changes were overly conservative and somehow too reverent of the Schwartzwalder/Brown/Davis era. And that is when the program sank. Babers could still wind up being a monumental flop, but I was glad to see SU at least be willing to think outside the box over him.

Regarding SU Football, some might say that the last few coaching changes were overly conservative and somehow too reverent of the Schwartzwalder/Brown/Davis era. And that is when the program sank. Babers could still wind up being a monumental flop, but I was glad to see SU at least be willing to think outside the box over him.

You are probably the kind of person who wants us to go for it on every fourth and short.

"Be bold" and "Think Big" are easy to say when you are insulated from the consequences of failure. Look at these schools who are looking to hire new coaches right now. They have far few good choices than their fans expected when they were clamoring for change and lots of competition for those that APPEAR to be upgrades.

More like 1A and 1B. The fact that they were both heading to the BE to become cogs in the SU-GU rivalry, was what made that year so special.
I believe they were co-MVP's of the McDonald's AA game. I remember watching them and thinking how great the next 4 years would be!

Yeah, I recall my excitement as well. I was at school at the time and remember reading about it in my USA Today daily newspaper I got. Back in those days, that's how I kept abreast on the recruiting, along with my Big East Briefs and Hoops Scoop subscriptions. :)

Yeah, I recall my excitement as well. I was at school at the time and remember reading about it in my USA Today daily newspaper I got. Back in those days, that's how I kept abreast on the recruiting, along with my Big East Briefs and Hoops Scoop subscriptions. :)
IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

This wasn't "stammering". This was a person having a great deal of trouble putting English sentences together.

I have watched hundreds of these post game interviews. This was way outside the range of the most nervous player.
I remember that interview.

it was painful.

my favorite thing to needle a gtown alum with who I meet out, as they are all carbon copy, straight out of central casting...white boy & girl preps is...you went to Georgetown?? I thought that was an all black school??

always gets em goin...

I remember that interview.

it was painful.

my favorite thing to needle a gtown alum with who I meet out, as they are all carbon copy, straight out of central casting...white boy & girl preps is...you went to Georgetown?? I thought that was an all black school??

always gets em goin...

In asked a GU student if the basketball team was visible on campus.

He told me, "No. They hang out at Howard U on Georgia Ave. They are rarely on campus."

And I know people from California who were convinced Georgetown was a Historically Black College.

That's funny. I can't imagine the players hanging out at Georgetown. It's all boutiques and expensive shopping/restaurants on Wisconsin and M Street. Howard U and/or U Street Corridor (the former 'Black Broadway') is a party zone.

These are the coaching candidates the media and the fans have identified. Their #1 Fan site "Casual Hoya" doesn't list the Mt. St. Mary's or Bucknell coaches. They assume, I guess, that the GU job is highly attractive. Attractive enough to get Brey to leave Notre Dame?

Shaka Smart – Texas

Mike Brey – Notre Dame

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

Tommy Amaker – Harvard

Patrick Ewing – Charlotte Hornets Assistant

Richard Pitino – Minnesota

Jamion Christian, Mount St. Mary’s

Nathan Davis, Bucknell

Of course, Brey, Pitino and Hurley aren't going to pass JT Jr's first test.

These are the coaching candidates the media and the fans have identified. Their #1 Fan site "Casual Hoya" doesn't list the Mt. St. Mary's or Bucknell coaches. They assume, I guess, that the GU job is highly attractive. Attractive enough to get Brey to leave Notre Dame?

Shaka Smart – Texas

Mike Brey – Notre Dame

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

Tommy Amaker – Harvard

Patrick Ewing – Charlotte Hornets Assistant

Richard Pitino – Minnesota

Jamion Christian, Mount St. Mary’s

Nathan Davis, Bucknell

Of course, Brey, Pitino and Hurley aren't going to pass JT Jr's first test.

As funny as this is its going to be worse on our board when we are doing a coaching search after JB retires. Posters will think established coaches at other top 10 programs will be willing to leave and come to SU.

Last edited:
As funny as this is its going to worse on our board when we are doing a coaching search after JB retires. Posters will think established coaches at other top 10 programs will be willing to leave and come to SU.

Oh, I know.

Money will be no obstacle (In the minds of those not actually paying the bill)

Anybody we could actually get will be deemed unacceptable.

It's all so predictable.

Oh, I know.

Money will be no obstacle (In the minds of those not actually paying the bill)

Anybody we could actually get will be deemed unacceptable.

It's all so predictable.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think he was trying to say that it might be tough to pull potential candidates away from their existing Top 10 jobs. Let's say, for chits and giggles, Mike White keeps doing well. Would he leave Florida for SU? I don't know. 50/50 best case, imo. Maybe a Chris Mack type would be more realistic and I'd be happy with him too.

I just want more of a lunch pail mentality with the next coach. Better fundamentals or at least more emphasis on them. More creative and diverse offensive sets and personnel to go with that. I don't care what defense we play as long as we mix it up some and aren't married to ONE D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom