Class of 2017 - JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. Ron Thompson left but in my opinion, he stays if Shafer stays. Justin Pugh left early, 1st round pick. Just thought due to our lack of success we hadn't had many but I stand corrected.
Durell Eskeridge also chose not to use his 5th year.

Fair enough. But I think people are viewing this through the lens of recruits that we usually land, instead of what this kid might be able to do. This isn't a situation like Morton [the DE from Detroit who came in this fall weighing 220], this kid is physically ready.

Black and Coleman started and played a substantial amount of snaps as true frosh. Doesn't seem that crazy at all, even if he is getting a late start. ESPECIALLY given our issues at DE.
Yup, he dominated his first year of juco. A kid with his offer list coming out of HS. If Black and Coleman played as true freshman's this kid can play as a sophomore.

It is interesting that he posted that. It could be for many reasons. They could be hearing things from other schools behind the scenes I don't know, but there is a message and they wanted it to be seen publicly.
I can respect that. I certainly don't think it's disingenuous, just obvious that it was posted as a direct response to the Robinson signing. Like I said, damage control but maybe smart & even necessary in this day & age.

Really? I'd be shocked if he isn't playing a ton of snaps by the 3rd or 4th game, if not starting outright once he gets acclimated.

Didn't say he wouldn't play but I'm also tempering expectations. This kid isn't super man. He wasn't a 5 star kid who picked us over Bama. He isn't the second coming of Clowney. He looks pretty much like a lot SEC recruits.

I hope he starts and has 20 sacks but let's the get through the first practice.

Didn't say he wouldn't play but I'm also tempering expectations. This kid isn't super man. He wasn't a 5 star kid who picked us over Bama. He isn't the second coming of Clowney. He looks pretty much like a lot SEC recruits.

I hope he starts and has 20 sacks but let's the get through the first practice.

Just for perspective, he had an Alabama offer, though. His offer list is tremendous. Review his performance from last year and check out some film -- you might get a different impression of his level of readiness.

Fair enough. But I think people are viewing this through the lens of recruits that we usually land, instead of what this kid might be able to do. This isn't a situation like Morton [the DE from Detroit who came in this fall weighing 220], this kid is physically ready.

Black and Coleman started and played a substantial amount of snaps as true frosh. Doesn't seem that crazy at all, even if he is getting a late start. ESPECIALLY given our issues at DE.
Black and Coleman played in part because there was nobody else. Circumstances played a huge part in how much they saw the field. That's an exceptional situation, not the one I want to benchmark against.

I'll just lay it out - this player is going to be waaaaaay behind on S&C. I'm guessing his lungs aren't great right now, let alone up to the standard Babers sets. He's also competing against guys that have suffered some pain and learned the system. Maybe his talent is just that overwhelming, but he's got to prove it and that doesn't happen on his first practice.

If he sees the field this year and contributes at all, it's a success. More than that is incredible.

We need the body and if he is good he isn't staying 3 years.

I would prefer to use him now and if it's only on 3rd down fine.

We are better off Redshirting a true freshman over this kid. He is a legit talent thus use him while the staff can.
Totally agree!

Welcome aboard young man. Make the most of the opportunity you have been given. Any chance SU admins gave in a little after the whole dq debacle medically with other players. This was their way of a getting quality player and throwing dino a bone?

Can't wait too see you sept 1st

In my book he has already played his 1 time pass with me - any more off the field shite and he needs to go. Hope Dino puts the fear of god in him so he doesn't screw this up.

That said he is awesome football recruit and has the makings of a great player! Welcome aboard Mr. Robinson!

Now if we could find a JUCO DT just like Mr. Robinson and I would feel so much better about the defense this year!

I'm impressed at how Babers has the staff to go out and get a high 3 to 4 star DE while all the coaches are focused on day to day practice. That's fantastic multi-tasking skills because this had to be cleared at the highest levels in the athletic department. That had to have taken Babers personal time too.

A big part of going to college is about becoming more mature. If the athletic department believes he has matured then I'm satisfied.

Black and Coleman played in part because there was nobody else. Circumstances played a huge part in how much they saw the field. That's an exceptional situation, not the one I want to benchmark against.

I'll just lay it out - this player is going to be waaaaaay behind on S&C. I'm guessing his lungs aren't great right now, let alone up to the standard Babers sets. He's also competing against guys that have suffered some pain and learned the system. Maybe his talent is just that overwhelming, but he's got to prove it and that doesn't happen on his first practice.

If he sees the field this year and contributes at all, it's a success. More than that is incredible.
My point is based on their production last year as true freshman's. On film, this kid looks better than those two coming out of HS. When he catches up with S&C and learn the schemes, he will be just as productive or better than those two were last season. Im not saying he will be all ACC this year. He has time to catch up before the first big game vs LSU.

Last edited:
This is a big boy move.

More often than not we are not going to get this type of talent without some type of baggage unless it's a special circumstance. Especially this late in the year.

As an up-and-coming, recently struggling program you are going to have to take flyers like this occasionally in order to compete at the level you need to.

We had a hole and we filled it with talent.

If the kid doesn't pan out then the kid doesn't pan out but at least our staff is doing everything possible solidify the roster.

Just for perspective, he had an Alabama offer, though. His offer list is tremendous. Review his performance from last year and check out some film -- you might get a different impression of his level of readiness.

Bama recruits a lot of kids every year, they don't all hit the field as freshman and star. I didn't see a Bama offer.

Rvls rated him a 3 star 5.7 kid with offers from
Texas A&M
Baylor
Cal
Houston
Michigan
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

I'm impressed at how Babers has the staff to go out and get a high 3 to 4 star DE while all the coaches are focused on day to day practice. That's fantastic multi-tasking skills because this had to be cleared at the highest levels in the athletic department. That had to have taken Babers personal time too.

A big part of going to college is about becoming more mature. If the athletic department believes he has matured then I'm satisfied.

This is the direct benefit of having their own private jet service Wheels Up to get somewhere and back again quickly!

This is:
image.jpeg

Everything else has been said.

This is the direct benefit of having their own private jet service Wheels Up to get somewhere and back again quickly!

Not with this one. He would have had to come to SU sometime during the quiet period for a visit looking at the recruiting calendar. Could be he knew Boller from when he was at Louisville.

June 1 through July 31, 2017 Quiet Period

June 26 through July 9, 2017 Dead Period

August is a Dead period.

Bama recruits a lot of kids every year, they don't all hit the field as freshman and star. I didn't see a Bama offer.

Rvls rated him a 3 star 5.7 kid with offers from
Texas A&M
Baylor
Cal
Houston
Michigan
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

New Mexico State gives defensive lineman Alton Robinson a second chance

"The 6-3, 245 pound recruit, Alton Robinson, was a highly recruited defensive end out of the San Antonio area in 2016. Ranked as the 72nd best player in Texas by 2.4.7. Sports, Robinson had offers from Texas, Alabama, California, Michigan, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech but chose to sign with Texas A&M."​

This kid is a much better prospect than you are giving him credit for.

Incredible.

Talk about creative recruiting.

Hope the kid has his head on straight now, because he has a huge opportunity here. And despite him coming in toward the end of camp, you'd have to think that with our first game being semi-easy, they can get him ramped up quickly without having to throw him out there the first game.

Babers and staff are killing it on the recruiting trail. Wow.
Has he had his physical with Tucket yet?

I wonder if they have more time during the day now that practices are limited to once per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom