Class of 2017 - JUCO/Grad Transfer Recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO/Grad Transfer Recruits

I for one would love to see M. Blair come in next year.
Are there rumors he could be coming next year? Also wouldn't mind seeing James Pierre joining him next year, imagine those two big safeties together.

Are there rumors he could be coming next year? Also wouldn't mind seeing James Pierre joining him next year, imagine those two big safeties together.

With Pierre, it's basically been radio silence on him since he didn't qualify. I don't even remember hearing that he was enrolled at a Prep.

He would be a great addition though if we could get him here.

With Pierre, it's basically been radio silence on him since he didn't qualify. I don't even remember hearing that he was enrolled at a Prep.

He would be a great addition though if we could get him here.

It is odd as he has mentioned no where in his twitter being at a prep or playing football.
But his twitter bio still says Syracuse and there is still a freshman named James Pierre enrolled in Sports and Human Dynamics. Really Odd.

It is odd as he has mentioned no where in his twitter being at a prep or playing football.
But his twitter bio still says Syracuse and there is still a freshman named James Pierre enrolled in Sports and Human Dynamics. Really Odd.

Do we do "academic" redshirts?

I've seen that mentioned at some others schools. He got accepted into SU but he didn't qualify per the NCAA so I wonder if there's a loophole.

Do we do "academic" redshirts?

I've seen that mentioned at some others schools. He got accepted into SU but he didn't qualify per the NCAA so I wonder if there's a loophole.
That's what I have been wondering.

I'm stupid. Can someone break down the academic redshirt? Does it count against the 85? If all goes well, how soon could one practice/play? Does player get a full ride during this status? Why might some go this route but others not?

I'm stupid. Can someone break down the academic redshirt? Does it count against the 85? If all goes well, how soon could one practice/play? Does player get a full ride during this status? Why might some go this route but others not?

Yes, it does count.

Academic redshirts may practice in the initial term and receive athletics aid during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment but may not compete in their first year of full-time collegiate enrollment. In order to meet the academic redshirt standard, a college-bound student-athlete must:

1. Complete 16 core courses;
  2. Meet the academic redshirt sliding scale (GPA and ACT/SAT sum score); and
  3. Graduate from high school.

This is a pretty good explanation from a 1/2016 article

What to know about the new 'academic redshirt'

It's hard enough for college athletes to play as true freshmen, but starting in 2016, some will not even have the option. The reason? Academics.

In 2012, the NCAA enacted a so-called "academic redshirt," starting with this upcoming recruiting class. Athletes who don't meet certain entry requirements are required to sit out a year of competition, though they are still permitted to practice.

High school students still need to have at least a 2.0 GPA and complete 16 core classes to participate in Division I sports, but now, they'll need to have a 2.3 GPA and 10 of their core courses locked in by the start of their senior year to play in their first year without redshirting.

Why did the NCAA enact this rule?
The NCAA says its goal is to make sure athletes are more prepared in the classroom when it comes time to compete. According to the association, the new rules will likely affect eight percent of men's basketball players, five percent of football players and two percent of athletes overall.

"The big thing they're trying to stop is these miracle qualifiers who re-take six core classes their senior year," Arkansas director of compliance Will Landreth said.

No longer can athletes make up all the classes they missed in the last year of high school, nor can they slack off early on.

"A lot of times, why are these standards put in place?" Todd Leyden, the director of the NCAA Eligibility Center asked. "It’s because of abuse in the system."

Indeed, that happens at times in recruiting, according to SB Nation recruiting analyst Bud Elliott.

"It's common for players to screw around for their first five semesters and then start caring in the classroom once they start getting college interest," Elliott said. "This new rule will bring an end to that in some respects."

The implication from the NCAA seems to be that the completing a year or two of core classes in a few short months before enrolling was being accomplished by less than legitimate means. Rather than investigating the legitimacy of all those makeup courses, a difficult task, this rule just strikes any attempt to do so.

The rule is ostensibly about increasing graduation rates, but it's really about easing the burden on NCAA enforcement.
For recruits who don't have leverage, this could hurt their ability to get to college. That's particularly true of players who are late bloomers in high school and don't know that they'll be going Division I until late in the process.

For some, the impetus to work in the classroom comes once they turn into top players, which may be too late.

The NCAA's stated goal with the new rules is improving graduation rates, but some coaching leaders, including Georgetown basketball coach John Thompson III, Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith and former Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt — part of the National Association for Coaching Equity and Development —€” are worried the rules will adversely affect athletes from low-resource schools.

"If you want to exclude kids from playing college sports, then come out and say it, but don't say you're trying to help kids graduate from college," Hewitt said. "I've had people in the NCAA tell me, we know it's going to have a disproportionate impact on kids in certain communities. And then you're going to go through it anyway?"

Another major criticism is whether banning athletes from competition for a year will actually help them graduate.

Athletes who must take a so-called academic redshirt year are only banned from playing in games — they are still allowed to practice, even though game time is nominal compared to practice time. Leyden said their research shows that these rules are the best predictors of helping athletes graduate, though he did not present the specific reasoning behind the research. From his experience, Hewitt disagrees.

"We're putting in a rule that does nothing to identify who can graduate from college," he said.

What it will do, however, is drastically reduce the NCAA's burden of figuring the legitimacy of high school courses.

I hope this is James Pierre's case. But from my understanding of the rule, you're allowed to practice with the team. Wouldn't the media have seen him out there then?

If this is what's going on with Pierre, it's huge. Add to that, if they can land Blair this cycle and get him on campus by the summer, it would transform our secondary.

I don't think Pierre is on campus at this point from what I remember reading

There is a James Pierre in the school of Sport and Human Dynamics in the student directory. Listed as a Freshman. Have to be a big coincidence...

Also Michael Moore is not listed. So if he's listed, could mean he's still at SU. Let's hope

I wouldn't mind this kid.

Isn't he the one who body slammed a HS security guard during a fight?

That said I am all for 2nd chances for young kids. If he has changed his life around then I am all for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom