Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Projected 55th in this Yahoo mock draft, as well [FWIW]:

At a quick glance, there are only a few international players listed in the selections. Hasn't the trend been a lot more international players getting selected? If so, maybe that changes the probablity that Mintz gets selected?

said by western conference scout..."He kept his eligibility, which I think is smart on his part. If he went back to Syracuse, he could go higher next year because next year’s draft class is not as strong as this one.
Yup exactly, I also think if he returns we will have a much better team than we did last year. And from everything I’m hearing, Red’s style of play is going to fit Judah’s style of play to a T. Uptempo, fast breaks, more man to man defense to allow Judah to show off his strength in defense. Not to mention I think we have a better roster and will be back in the tourney if Judah comes back which leads to more exposure. On top of the fact that next years draft class is a lot weaker than this years. It just makes sense to come back from a basketball and financial sense. Even if Judah has the SAME EXACT season as last year but improves his strength and 3 point shot, he’s going to be a first rounder next year. If our record improves and we make a sweet 16 run or deeper, he’ll be in the lottery. Book it…not to mention if he comes back he’ll be getting paid well from NIL so not like he’s coming back and playing for free, and like I said before the gap between late second round/undrafted to first round/lottery is substantial. I’m all for kids chasing their dreams and doing what’s best for their family and I’d be happy for him if he does declare. He’ll just have a big uphill battle and it just makes wayyyyyy more sense from a basketball and financial standpoint to come back. He’ll improve as a player and literally make more money if he holds off on declaring one more year. It’s really a no brainer lol

And with that being said, Judah should not stay at Cuse past his sophomore season. Autry needs to kick him out after next year if he comes back because next year will be the highest his draft stock will be and when he can maximize his financial opportunity. He’d be smart to come back this year, but he 100% needs to leave after next season and declare as soon as the season is over and hire an agent.

great to see Red and the staff supporting Judah. If Red is half as good at in game coaching as he is at recruiting and player relations we are going to be in great shape.

That's the million dollar question.

Hopkins got off to a great start recruiting at UW, too. We need Red to be a substantially better game coach that Hop ultimately proved to be.

That's the million dollar question.

Hopkins got off to a great start recruiting at UW, too. We need Red to be a substantially better game coach that Hop ultimately proved to be.

Hops teams are very representative of how he played the game. The carryover of the zone was curious to me and for the most part hasn't served him well. That said the scrappy, make the game ugly player he was is exactly who UW is. Without the right amount of offensive talent that paired with the zone just hasn't produced results.

You could argue seeing how Hop approached things is a help to Red as well in terms of things not to do. If the team is in the mold of how Red, Gerry and Griff played the game, given what I expect will be more of a group effort that would trend much more positively the way I see it.

Back to the comment made by an nba scout... it's all about how he shoots it. Haven't they seen how Judah shoots it? He has a lot of "tape" out there from last year.

I understand the combine looks at a LOT of things not factored in necessarily how well a player performed the previous year in college. However, could Judah really come into the combine and shoot at a high percentage and what he did all last year in college is forgotten? Seems strange to me if that's the case.

I completely get needing to see how well he performs against other players at his caliber - that makes sense. However, the shooting seems known (at this point), even though obviously that can improve and hopefully it will.

Back to the comment made by an nba scout... it's all about how he shoots it. Haven't they seen how Judah shoots it? He has a lot of "tape" out there from last year.

I understand the combine looks at a LOT of things not factored in necessarily how well a player performed the previous year in college. However, could Judah really come into the combine and shoot at a high percentage and what he did all last year in college is forgotten? Seems strange to me if that's the case.

I completely get needing to see how well he performs against other players at his caliber - that makes sense. However, the shooting seems known (at this point), even though obviously that can improve and hopefully it will.
But isn't there late season Mintz vs early season Mintz... early season Mintz focused more on driving to get his shot. Only in the last few games did Mintz start looking for his three.

I'm not a basketball scout (but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night)... I see two concerns with his three point shooting - to me he takes too long to get three off and it's a set shot that he can't get too off the bounce. However I do think he has a potentially nasty mid range jumper that he can get when ever he wants. Outside of his shooting, I'm curious if he can run an offense or not... it seemed very much like the offense last year was Joe and Judah taking turns to get theirs with an occasional dumping to Jesse or Benny.

Will be fascinating to see how he develops either at Syracuse or in the pros.

I don't think it's really an "all will be forgotten" thing. Moreso a "Okay, he looks like he has pretty good touch" or "looks like he has mechanics that we can work with" kinda thing to give them hope that he'll become a serviceable shooter.

It's also entirely possible if not probable that in a workout environment, they'll see him get more threes up than he took the entire season in college.

A Syracuse alumnus made Crocs cool to wear FWIW.

Re: How well Judah shoots the ball. Hasn't this board said that all year? If he could consistently shoot it well, he'd be a late first/early second lock instead of a late second/undrafted type.
False...no one ever in this world has been able to accomplish that feat...

Judging by the roster, Mintz is going to be asked to facilitate. Bates on that team is going to be the thing to watch for everyone else not SU affiliated. He needs this showing more than anyone else.

False...no one ever in this world has been able to accomplish that feat...
I don't wear them because they're ugly and remind me a house slipper and a geriatric shoe, but his specific design has helped change the perception of the brand.

I don't think it's really an "all will be forgotten" thing. Moreso a "Okay, he looks like he has pretty good touch" or "looks like he has mechanics that we can work with" kinda thing to give them hope that he'll become a serviceable shooter.

It's also entirely possible if not probable that in a workout environment, they'll see him get more threes up than he took the entire season in college.

There are also some indicators that Judah has upside as a shooter, that are often used to project shooting skill. Stuff like his high free throw percentage, consistently shooting a high percentage on his mid-range jump shots, good looking form on shooting mechanics, etc.

That doesn't mean "all will be forgotten," because performance matters, too -- just that teams aren't ONLY going to look at the stats and determine that he can't shoot, or won't improve.

A team might factor those things into determining whether he has developmental potential as a shooter.

Judging by the roster, Mintz is going to be asked to facilitate. Bates on that team is going to be the thing to watch for everyone else not SU affiliated. He needs this showing more than anyone else.

Maybe. Flagler is a PG as well

His father Cameron is far from stupid. He also is a successful man of means. That’s why I have been confused that it seems like Judah is so dead set on going pro. I can’t fathom that he will stay in the draft without a promise. And I can’t understand why they would be satisfied with him going late second round or maybe going undrafted when he could come back and have a significant chance of being a first round pick.

I do wonder if academics could be a problem.

In the big picture, nobody has really talked about this but the worst case scenario has been avoided. I was significantly concerned that Judah would pull a Duce Chestnut and transfer for Nil or for a bigger name program. Obviously, the portal has closed so the good news is either he will be in the NBA and we will have sent him there, which we desperately need or even better he will be back.
So the way it stands now, he probably wont risk staying in the draft since he is currently late 2nd at best. The risk of not getting drafted is way to high. The G league does not make sense financially. If not returning to college, he still has the option of playing overseas. Unless his draft status changes, I think he comes back to school!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom