Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBA Combine notebook: Kentucky stars speak out; latest on top uncommitted transfers, stay-or-go decisions
Judah: "Really just want to hear that I belong, just positive feedback. Teams willing to take a shot on me. I've gotten some pretty good feedback, I would say. I talk to my Syracuse teammates every day. I talk to my coaches weekly, really. I see everything that's going on. I've talked to the recruits, they've contacted me asking what's going on."
Sounds like he’s rationalizing any reason to stay in the draft, so I think once we pull off our orange colored undies, his decision is pretty clear.

Excellent job of research by you. First, I don’t know if you got the sarcasm that I had in the second sentence. Second, as far as Oshae goes the path he took is by far the hardest. Undrafted guys don’t usually stick around the league. One could easily make the argument that had he returned, and gotten better, he might have gotten drafted, made significantly more guaranteed money and had the skills to stick around in the league longer, and possibly get the much sought after huge second contract. I mean Toronto let him go and unfortunately it’s not like he is a centerpiece in Indiana.

Bringing this back to Judah, if I were him, and I had a choice of being undrafted and trying out for my supper, or returning to Syracuse and trying to improve my draft stock, I would choose the latter. Now, if the feedback was I would be going in the second round but I got a guarantee that I would get picked or I could go back to Syracuse, I would pick the latter. If I got a first round guarantee, I would go to the nba because the guarantees would be significant as would the investment by the general manager, who would be more likely to give him time to develop.
I mean look I do agree but at the same time. I mean you're saying thit's very easy for you to say that. I mean of course I would love to see Judah back because the way and I. I thought that this very well could happen because I'm sorry. I'll say it again and again but Jim bayheim was a freaking enigma. It was miserable. I can't believe we got the players we got to be quite honest. But anyway this sky is charismatic and the jury is out. But if he can coach oh my gosh blue blood status is not out of the questfor Syracuse basketball. I mean look we have all the resources we have the biggest stadium that is getting renovated. In the country good culture good coach is good school good facilithe only thing I really question. Could I don't really know anything about it and surroundings is NIL?

Even if he is undrafted or 2nd round whatever I think he could? Make it because he has hes not like the others like some of them all the others that went 1st round when they shouldn't have his name the. Guy they have to have course shot against Pittsburgh or lyles. I mean these guys all had flaws that's all. We're exposed at that level juliments is a very extensive very quick very explosive type of point guard and I think that would be a hot commodity in
I mean look I do agree but at the same time. I mean you're saying thit's very easy for you to say that. I mean of course I would love to see Judah back because the way and I. I thought that this very well could happen because I'm sorry. I'll say it again and again but Jim bayheim was a freaking enigma. It was miserable. I can't believe we got the players we got to be quite honest. But anyway this sky is charismatic and the jury is out. But if he can coach oh my gosh blue blood status is not out of the questfor Syracuse basketball. I mean look we have all the resources we have the biggest stadium that is getting renovated. In the country good culture good coach is good school good facilithe only thing I really question. Could I don't really know anything about it and surroundings is

Sounds like he’s rationalizing any reason to stay in the draft, so I think once we pull off our orange colored undies, his decision is pretty clear.
Think about it this way. What can he say if he is coming back to Syracuse? Hey, I tried out for the NBA and they told me I wasn't good enough? No kid or man is ever going to say something like that. They are going to make it sound like it is the toughest decision of their young life. And maybe it is. I don 't know what he is going to do and I talk to numerous people who are connected almost daily. The sense I get, is that it is more likely he will come back to Syracuse but I wouldn't put one dollar of your money on it. Let alone mine.

The easy out is “I’ve talked with coach and my teammates. We are going to play in a way that really shows my skills and allows me to operate in a faster paced offense. I can’t wait to work on some things that were pointed out to me. I grew up dreaming about the NCAA tournament and I am going to help Syracuse get back there. The ACC isn’t going to know what hit them when we are pressuring the ball for a full 40 minutes. “

I will be surprised if he doesn't come back at this point. His NIL will be more than he makes as a pro next year. He has the ability to play himself into a 1st rounder. Staying a 2nd year doesn't hurt draft stock like it did even 5 years ago now that guys are getting NIL money and staying longer.

I know this much and I know what I’ve stated before he can be an excellent NBA player I really really believe that he’s got all the intangibles for it. He’s got a lot of moxy

I think he can be a good NBA player. I think, though, that he needs maturation—physically and mentally/game-wise. He looks very small on the court in those combines. And with the amount that he found himself hitting the floor in college, i'm imagining that x2 playing against bigger/more physical players than in college, then x2 again for the greater number of g-league games.

Then, i'm also remembering the two or three end-game scenarios last year when he just melted-down. Those were not NBA-level moments of composure. He's smart enough to overcome that, and i would like to see that development happen for us rather than for the Maine Celtics or Grand Rapids Gold.

Against us: He'd come back to a team where he would have less control and fewer minutes as i assume the playmaking would be divided between himself, JJ, and Chance. Would his numbers go down? Or, would we just run so much that our overall numbers would blow up and he could just be a more effective, efficient player for a better team? Maybe with better backcourt balance and the continued improvement of his jumper, he'd get knocked down/fall down a lot less.

I'm gonna say i'll be happily surprised if he comes back to us. I get the feeling that with his dream within reach, he'll grab it, even if that comes with a compromise of a lower draft slot that he wanted or expected. Kids don't want to wait. Pro status now. No more classes.

I will be surprised if he doesn't come back at this point. His NIL will be more than he makes as a pro next year. He has the ability to play himself into a 1st rounder. Staying a 2nd year doesn't hurt draft stock like it did even 5 years ago now that guys are getting NIL money and staying longer.
This is really what has changed with NIL. Coming back to Syracuse is more than likely the best way to maximize his earning ability.

That dynamic has flipped.

I will share that as of right now the coaching staff does not know what he’s doing. Judah has been honest with them and he is not totally set on staying in draft. The coaches knew a lot about where he stood going into draft and it’s played out exactly the way they thought. Now Judah has to decide. But I know he has not made a decision or the staff would know. If I had to go one way or another it’s trending that he will be back like I’ve felt the entire time

avg'd 33 minutes per last year as a frosh .we got 2 transfer guards already coming in who will want to eat minutes. if he plans on auditioning next year he's likely looking at less court time.

I think he can be a good NBA player. I think, though, that he needs maturation—physically and mentally/game-wise. He looks very small on the court in those combines. And with the amount that he found himself hitting the floor in college, i'm imagining that x2 playing against bigger/more physical players than in college, then x2 again for the greater number of g-league games.

Then, i'm also remembering the two or three end-game scenarios last year when he just melted-down. Those were not NBA-level moments of composure. He's smart enough to overcome that, and i would like to see that development happen for us rather than for the Maine Celtics or Grand Rapids Gold.

Against us: He'd come back to a team where he would have less control and fewer minutes as i assume the playmaking would be divided between himself, JJ, and Chance. Would his numbers go down? Or, would we just run so much that our overall numbers would blow up and he could just be a more effective, efficient player for a better team? Maybe with better backcourt balance and the continued improvement of his jumper, he'd get knocked down/fall down a lot less.

I'm gonna say i'll be happily surprised if he comes back to us. I get the feeling that with his dream within reach, he'll grab it, even if that comes with a compromise of a lower draft slot that he wanted or expected. Kids don't want to wait. Pro status now. No more classes.
I strongly suspect that Mintz will be the only player getting 30+ minutes a game if he comes back. He also will have the ball in his hands to start every possession.

He's The Man if he comes back, no doubt about it. There's no way Red is going to sabotage a kid who gave up being drafted to come back to the team by cutting his playing time or role.

If Judah loses any minutes, it is because he's getting pulled when he's tired from pressing or garbage time at the end of blow outs.

avg'd 33 minutes per last year as a frosh .we got 2 transfer guards already coming in who will want to eat minutes. if he plans on auditioning next year he's likely looking at less court time.
Judah doesn’t really need more minutes to audition. If he plays great for 29 minutes per game then people will see how good he is. Fresh legs, fresh mind, less fatigue and an offensive style (hopefully) that will give him chance to shine.

I will share that as of right now the coaching staff does not know what he’s doing. Judah has been honest with them and he is not totally set on staying in draft. The coaches knew a lot about where he stood going into draft and it’s played out exactly the way they thought. Now Judah has to decide. But I know he has not made a decision or the staff would know. If I had to go one way or another it’s trending that he will be back like I’ve felt the entire time

Appreciate you and the updates.

This is just a thought but one thing in his case- there is zero doubt he can score. He will get stronger and then those drives will translate at the next level.

Thus the two elements of his game - as a PG/facilitator, which has continued to evolve and his outside shot- his biggest weakness that is within his control- both present needs that can be addressed coming back, while also not needing to play 35 mins a game or scoring 20 a game. He can prove he can run a team and control a game. That would blend well with the talent and usage that would join him in the backcourt this year vs coming back to score 20 plus a game. He comes back to the tune of say 14.5/15 and 5.5 or more assists a game with 35 plus from 3 on a good team and he would be in a great spot.

Not to mention if at least one of his backcourt mates really breaks out and their plans for going pro look good- even more attention in being the top dog in a backcourt with more than just 1 NBA kind of talent.

So it's a possible win for both player and team.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect that Mintz will be on the only player getting 30+ minutes a game if he comes back. He also will have the ball in his hands to start every possession.

He's The Man if he comes back, no doubt about it. There's no way Red is going to sabotage a kid who gave up being drafted to come back to the team by cutting his playing time or role.

If Judah loses any minutes, it is because he's getting pulled when he's tired from pressing or garbage time at the end of blow outs.
Almost completely agree, but I think he’d be on the ball 75% of the time. The other 25% would be him off ball in catch and shoot situations. But, Red’s offense will showcase his skills for the NBA. Judah is too much of a team player to make it all about him, but he will be the star.

Last edited:
To your point Orangezoo, you are absolutely right. The upgrade in talent around him is going to make him that much better and that’s what the coaching staff is selling to him. He will be a first round pick next year just bc he will be playing and practicing with better players in a much better system that will showcase his talents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom