Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645
Yes, we can all clearly see that you were 100% all-in on Hopkins...

You are so full of it that, when you turn 50 in four years, you are going to need a plumber instead of a proctologist for your first colonoscopy.

1B2FD634-913E-4EF1-89B3-F45EA5906D31.gif

This kid loved the relationship he had with Hop...my question is...why didn’t he have a relationship with the head coach that he also loved?

Hop is young and is casting a wide net with his recruiting...kind of like SU back in the day.

please, give me a break, take a look at the history of recruiting while hop was here, we missed on a ton of players, it's not like he was recruiting like duke or kentucky
what is jb supposed to do if a kid wants to leave NY, he is not so close to his father, obviously he left a few years ago to move to Indy for a reason. hop had the same problem with thomas bryant who he recruited and others, the facts are the facts, it's not like hop was lighting it up here

question, which players was hop responsible for recruiting / bringing in when he was here, i know Carter Williams, who else since 2010? not sure his record at cuse was better than Red's during his time here during the same period

who got rak and scoop? scoop got dion.

Autry arrived at SU in April 2011 - since then - Grant, Ennis, Hughes, Gbinije, Andrew White, Carey, Marek, Quincy, Oshae, braswell, frank h, Chris McC, BJ Johnson, CJ Fair , Diagne (did not work out well ) and Taurean Thompson

Gmac - Goodine, JGIII, Moyer

btw - not related - jordan tucker looked like a stud vs st johns

Last edited:
please, give me a break, take a look at the history of recruiting while hop was here, we missed on a ton of players, it's not like he was recruiting like duke or kentucky
what is jb supposed to do if a kid wants to leave NY, he is not so close to his father, obviously he left a few years ago to move to Indy for a reason. hop had the same problem with thomas bryant who he recruited and others, the facts are the facts, it's not like hop was lighting it up here

question, which players was hop responsible for recruiting / bringing in when he was here, i know Carter Williams, who else since 2010? not sure his record at cuse was better than Red's during his time here during the same period

Autry - Grant, Ennis, Hughes, Gbinije, Andrew White, Carey, Marek, Quincy, Oshae, braswell, frank h, Chris McC, BJ Johnson, CJ Fair ,

Lydon and Malachi. Kaleb Joseph(didn’t work well)

I don't think JB's strength is in his personal relationship with players, at least not when said players were in their youth, being recruited, as players, etc. It appears that JB builds a better relationship with many of his guys well after they have played here.

I still recall what Kenny Anderson's mom was quoted saying about JB back in the day: "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold." That still stings to this day.

Something about the Isiah Stewart decision sticks in my craw. Perhaps Im bitter and upset that he isn't the guy here and I don't know who to blame. Its clearly JB and the AD but does any of it matter now? I'm a 46 yo fan that has watched the team since the pearl days in 4th grade when my teacher would put on the games during school! Those were the days where SU hoops we so important to everyone's life around here. I loved the program , the excitement and everything about the program.

Flash forward to recent times. I was one of the fans that was eagerly awaiting the Hopkins take over from JB, as it was told to be, at the start of last season. I was looking forward to a different feel but with a familiar and charismatic face. Our lead guy that was sniffing high level recruits and even pulling in a few lesser rated ones. He brought a passion and display of energy and emotion that the program hasn't seen since 2003, which is now closer to 20 years ago...20. Let that sink in.

Now that guy is gone. Leading his own program , on his own terms on the other side of the country. This guy is even now pulling in top 5 recruits and bringing talent that, quite frankly, i'm jealous of. This program needed Isaiah Stewart. NEEDED. I think this sends a very clear message to me when Stewart talks about trusting the head coach... read the ESPN article..then really read into it.

Maybe Im bitter and Jealous, but I'm growing tired of seeing posts with people waxing poetic about Hopkins. Hes never coming back and he is building something seemingly better where he is at. Yes the Pac 10 blows... yes its west coast... but life is a cycle of ebb and flow. It will rise again in the west and Washington will be at the forefront of programs out there. We have to stop filaciating Hopkins

I honestly look at any other program as the enemy and a potential threat to Cuse. When people were lauding Villanova for winning titles, I thought it was short sighted treason. It was an eastern program that we recruit against adding to their, better than our, legacy. INSANITY. I feel the same way about Hopkins and Washington. I want no other program to do better than Syracuse.

Sadly Im starting to feel like Syracuse best days are in the rear view mirror. Can that fortune turn? It could.. but looking straight ahead I do not see that yet. Middling ACC program is not good enough for me. I don't get up daily and say hmmmm I'm gonna go out there and be mediocre today!

So in being honest about Mike Hopkins... I wish him health for he and his family.. and nothing else. Im sorry I feel this way , but I do. I dont think Im alone, but open to the idea that I am. this is meant for discussion but if you want to flame me.. i get it.
You are right. The best years of SU b-ball are behind them. Way behind. You should stop being a SU fan(atic). The 4-1 ACC start was done with mirrors. Next year's recruits are soooooo bad that there is no hope. For your own health and well being, you should start rooting for some other school. UB is top 20, they obviously are THE school here in NYS.

I don't think JB's strength is in his personal relationship with players, at least not when said players were in their youth, being recruited, as players, etc. It appears that JB builds a better relationship with many of his guys well after they have played here.

I still recall what Kenny Anderson's mom was quoted saying about JB back in the day: "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold."

that's fair point, on the other hand look at the players after the play here, they all come back, they give, they go to the games, so many of them were in Houston and Atlanta for both final fours, look JB is not in his 40's anymore, it is what it is, i have said this many times, the day he retires, the day everyone will look back at how lucky we were

that's fair point, on the other hand look at the players after the play here, they all come back, they give, they go to the games, so many of them were in Houston and Atlanta for both final fours, look JB is not in his 40's anymore, it is what it is, i have said this many times, the day he retires, the day everyone will look back at how lucky we were

I said his relationship seemingly has been better with his players well after they leave here. Yes, JB isn't in his 40's anymore, but even when he was, he didn't come across as warm and fuzzy either...hence the quotes from Kenny Anderson's mom.

I still recall what Kenny Anderson's mom was quoted saying about JB back in the day: "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold." That still stings to this day.

Possible that was a cover for “he doesn’t pay as well as Coach Cremmins”.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645

You are so full of it that, when you turn 50 in four years, you are going to need a plumber instead of a proctologist for your first colonoscopy.

I didnt know it was possible to end someones else’s career on a message board.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645

Wow! Very impressive. Let this be a lesson to everyone - there is a very good search feature on this site and Forza knows how to use it.

I don’t want to over reach here because I don’t know crap about the inner workings of SU recruiting. Is JB only the closer?

I don’t want to over reach here because I don’t know crap about the inner workings of SU recruiting. Is JB only the closer?

I don't know crap about the 'inner workings' myself, but since JB is the captain of the ship, I'd say yes. ;):)

Autry arrived at SU in April 2011 - since then - Grant, Ennis, Hughes, Gbinije, Andrew White, Carey, Marek, Quincy, Oshae, braswell, frank h, Chris McC, BJ Johnson, CJ Fair , Diagne (did not work out well ) and Taurean Thompson

I’m gonna bet those weren’t all Reds recruits. That would leave little for a guy that was recognized nationally as one of the best recruiters. And you left Sidibe off Gmacs list.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645

I assure you more that half the posters here were either completely against Hop being the HC here or at least wanted him to get HC experience someplace else. Now a few people want to act like they were all in on Hop as SU HC.

I assure you more that half the posters here were either completely against Hop being the HC here or at least wanted him to get HC experience someplace else. Now a few people want to act like they were all in on Hop as SU HC.

I have no problem admitting I was one who wanted him to get HC experience.

Something about the Isiah Stewart decision sticks in my craw. Perhaps Im bitter and upset that he isn't the guy here and I don't know who to blame. Its clearly JB and the AD but does any of it matter now? I'm a 46 yo fan that has watched the team since the pearl days in 4th grade when my teacher would put on the games during school! Those were the days where SU hoops we so important to everyone's life around here. I loved the program , the excitement and everything about the program.

Flash forward to recent times. I was one of the fans that was eagerly awaiting the Hopkins take over from JB, as it was told to be, at the start of last season. I was looking forward to a different feel but with a familiar and charismatic face. Our lead guy that was sniffing high level recruits and even pulling in a few lesser rated ones. He brought a passion and display of energy and emotion that the program hasn't seen since 2003, which is now closer to 20 years ago...20. Let that sink in.

Now that guy is gone. Leading his own program , on his own terms on the other side of the country. This guy is even now pulling in top 5 recruits and bringing talent that, quite frankly, i'm jealous of. This program needed Isaiah Stewart. NEEDED. I think this sends a very clear message to me when Stewart talks about trusting the head coach... read the ESPN article..then really read into it.

Maybe Im bitter and Jealous, but I'm growing tired of seeing posts with people waxing poetic about Hopkins. Hes never coming back and he is building something seemingly better where he is at. Yes the Pac 10 blows... yes its west coast... but life is a cycle of ebb and flow. It will rise again in the west and Washington will be at the forefront of programs out there. We have to stop filaciating Hopkins

I honestly look at any other program as the enemy and a potential threat to Cuse. When people were lauding Villanova for winning titles, I thought it was short sighted treason. It was an eastern program that we recruit against adding to their, better than our, legacy. INSANITY. I feel the same way about Hopkins and Washington. I want no other program to do better than Syracuse.

Sadly Im starting to feel like Syracuse best days are in the rear view mirror. Can that fortune turn? It could.. but looking straight ahead I do not see that yet. Middling ACC program is not good enough for me. I don't get up daily and say hmmmm I'm gonna go out there and be mediocre today!

So in being honest about Mike Hopkins... I wish him health for he and his family.. and nothing else. Im sorry I feel this way , but I do. I dont think Im alone, but open to the idea that I am. this is meant for discussion but if you want to flame me.. i get it.
So to be clear, a coach that went 21-13 in his only full season as a head coach and so far this season is 14-4 signs his first top recruit and that is better than a coach that has averaged about a 25-9 record for 42 seasons and is 13-5 playing in a dramatically better conference? Jim Boeheim doesn't need backers to exhibit how much better than Hopkins he is. Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, King Rice, Earl Kelley, Donyell Marshall, Felipe Lopez, Julius Hodge, Thomas Bryant, Quade Green, Isaiah Whitehead, Cole Swider...all players that Syracuse has survived not having on their roster. They will survive without this guy too.
The most I will say about Hop is that UW has 4 very quality losses this year (Auburn, Minnesota, Gonzaga & Va Tech) but their best win is against either 9-8 Utah or 10-7 Colorado.

Last edited:
I’m gonna bet those weren’t all Reds recruits. That would leave little for a guy that was recognized nationally as one of the best recruiters. And you left Sidibe off Gmacs list.

i can assure you all of them are his recruits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom