Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic | Syracusefan.com

Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic

Zepharus

Starter
Something about the Isiah Stewart decision sticks in my craw. Perhaps Im bitter and upset that he isn't the guy here and I don't know who to blame. Its clearly JB and the AD but does any of it matter now? I'm a 46 yo fan that has watched the team since the pearl days in 4th grade when my teacher would put on the games during school! Those were the days where SU hoops we so important to everyone's life around here. I loved the program , the excitement and everything about the program.

Flash forward to recent times. I was one of the fans that was eagerly awaiting the Hopkins take over from JB, as it was told to be, at the start of last season. I was looking forward to a different feel but with a familiar and charismatic face. Our lead guy that was sniffing high level recruits and even pulling in a few lesser rated ones. He brought a passion and display of energy and emotion that the program hasn't seen since 2003, which is now closer to 20 years ago...20. Let that sink in.

Now that guy is gone. Leading his own program , on his own terms on the other side of the country. This guy is even now pulling in top 5 recruits and bringing talent that, quite frankly, i'm jealous of. This program needed Isaiah Stewart. NEEDED. I think this sends a very clear message to me when Stewart talks about trusting the head coach... read the ESPN article..then really read into it.

Maybe Im bitter and Jealous, but I'm growing tired of seeing posts with people waxing poetic about Hopkins. Hes never coming back and he is building something seemingly better where he is at. Yes the Pac 10 blows... yes its west coast... but life is a cycle of ebb and flow. It will rise again in the west and Washington will be at the forefront of programs out there. We have to stop falaciating Hopkins

I honestly look at any other program as the enemy and a potential threat to Cuse. When people were lauding Villanova for winning titles, I thought it was short sighted treason. It was an eastern program that we recruit against adding to their, better than our, legacy. INSANITY. I feel the same way about Hopkins and Washington. I want no other program to do better than Syracuse.

Sadly Im starting to feel like Syracuse best days are in the rear view mirror. Can that fortune turn? It could.. but looking straight ahead I do not see that yet. Middling ACC program is not good enough for me. I don't get up daily and say hmmmm I'm gonna go out there and be mediocre today!

So in being honest about Mike Hopkins... I wish him health for he and his family.. and nothing else. Im sorry I feel this way , but I do. I dont think Im alone, but open to the idea that I am. this is meant for discussion but if you want to flame me.. i get it.

Last edited:
You should only feel bitter about the STEWART decision if u believe we were his second choice. I doubt that was the case. I wish we still had mike, we do not. They are not a direct rival such as duke is, I wish mike every success in the world, in fact, it gives Cuse fans a second team to follow, but of course, no way will the emotional attachment ever be close. If it can’t be us, I would much rather Washington wins a nc than does duke, nc, or Kentucky.

You should only feel bitter about the STEWART decision if u believe we were his second choice. I doubt that was the case. I wish we still had mike, we do not. They are not a direct rival such as duke is, I wish mike every success in the world, in fact, it gives Cuse fans a second team to follow, but of course, no way will the emotional attachment ever be close. If it can’t be us, I would much rather Washington wins a nc than does duke, nc, or Kentucky.
The fact that were may not have even been his second choice is even more sobering.

Man. The Duke win provided a nice little break from the sky is always falling BS. Guess that’s over.

You threw in the towel every time we lost last year, so I guess this is just what you do.
As a fan I'm certainly prone to emotion. Ill own that. I'm also a realist. This is what I see. We have a lot of JBs in here and to me that comes off as acceptance of the status quo. Im simply challenging the status quo. Do you feel all is well?

Other recruits we missed on had regrets. Best we can do is recruit another center and put our heads done and keep going. Isaiah may find that the program and picture mike painted turns out differently.
I contend that Cuse is more probable to be in contention for nc than Wash.

My best to Hop and let’s get it on

As a fan I'm certainly prone to emotion. Ill own that. I'm also a realist. This is what I see. We have a lot of JBs in here and to me that comes off as acceptance of the status quo. Im simply challenging the status quo. Do you feel all is well?
If you can't see the speed bumps in the road over the past five years and still expect us to win 80 percent of our games, I don't know what to tell you.

I "feel" like we have a legitimate chance to win the national championship with this team, this year. It has depth at all positions and has a certain flair for the spotlight, as well being made up of 6 guys who went to the sweet 16 last year. That's not enough for you?

Man. The Duke win provided a nice little break from the sky is always falling BS. Guess that’s over.

You threw in the towel every time we lost last year, so I guess this is just what you do.

7B8381A0-674C-4BA6-B521-50901FBE414D.gif
7B8381A0-674C-4BA6-B521-50901FBE414D.gif

I figured the this would turn into an indictment of this team. Its not. I guess I should have anticipated that the Pollyannas would flock

Don’t have an issue with Hopkins “poaching” Stewart. It happens. Hopkins got screwed over multiple times at SU due to JB’s on-again, off-again retirement “plan”, and if him getting an elite recruit restores the balance of the universe, it’s cool.

And we haven't seen the guy produce out there. How many times have we been amped over a recruit and it is not what we expect? Just think to how we got H Warrick over the douchenozzle that went to NC State. Hop has earned our respect so I like that this kid is going there. If this kid goes to UW so be it. JB wins with who he has - always has.

Work with two guys who went to UW. Mentioned to them about Stewart a couple weeks ago when it looked like he would go to UW. Neither of them cared or had a clue and they’re both big into their football team.

I was wrong about Hop and wish him the best, but I think we’re going to be just fine.

Good for Mike. He deserves his success and works very hard for it. He will always be "our guy" and I will always root for him to be phenomenal and not forgotten. He's always been a great recruiter and Washington has always been a place where coaches were able to land talent. There was never any reason to believe Hop wouldn't be able to successfully recruit high end players to UW. If you can build high impact relationships in Syracuse, New York... you can build them on Mars.

As much as I love Hop, we also have the right guy leading us. He's always been the right guy. He was the right guy when we lost out on Hodge to State. He was the right guy when Tobias Harris chose Tennessee. etc. etc.

We lost one recruit to an ex assistant. So what? Big Deal? Who cares?

Momentum is shifting on our season. Our class for next year is terrific. The sky is not falling. In fact the sun is out so enjoy it a little.

I was one of the fans that was eagerly awaiting the Hopkins take over from JB, as it was told to be, at the start of last season.

1548080531728.png

1548080701650.png

Yes, we can all clearly see that you were 100% all-in on Hopkins...

You are so full of it that, when you turn 50 in four years, you are going to need a plumber instead of a proctologist for your first colonoscopy.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645

You are so full of it that, when you turn 50 in four years, you are going to need a plumber instead of a proctologist for your first colonoscopy.

LOL!

I started cracking up when he said “I’m not one to overreact”...hilarious.

View attachment 150644

View attachment 150645

Lol the OP has a history of this. Let’s see if he’s as nice to you as he was to me on the football board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom