Just curious | Syracusefan.com

Just curious

Cooper05

Walk On
Would anyone have a problem with Gonzaga winning the NC? It seems to me they have a good program who does it the right way, who has been trying hard to get to that next step. I really like Mark Few and obviously Boeheim is great friends with him. I honestly don’t want to meet them in the second round this year. I think they are really good, experienced, have a lottery pick, they are just good! I personally think if my orange colored glasses are off and we can’t win it, then I root for Gonzaga. They have put in the time and work to progress over time and I think it would be a great story. But honestly I would like if SU doesn’t win it, Virginia wins it and we do everything in our power to get get Tony Bennett as our next coach. He is the perfect JB replacement

I would find it great that Gonzaga won the title. For the last 5 years or so, they have either met or exceeded their seed in the tournament, after years of failures.

I think it's possible they win. The limitation they always have is trying to turn up the "gears" again after other schools have not had to worry about that. That being said, if you consider final four teams in the past decade like Butler, VCU, George Mason, Wichita St, Gonzaga (2017), Loyola... there are teams that have been able to raise their play after playing a weaker conference for the past 2 months.

It’d be well deserved. It’s now been 20 years of sustained success out there in Spokane. After being so close to 2017 NC, I’m really impressed that just two years later they may take the final step. Seems like they have as good a shot as anyone

Would anyone have a problem with Gonzaga winning the NC? It seems to me they have a good program who does it the right way, who has been trying hard to get to that next step. I really like Mark Few and obviously Boeheim is great friends with him. I honestly don’t want to meet them in the second round this year. I think they are really good, experienced, have a lottery pick, they are just good! I personally think if my orange colored glasses are off and we can’t win it, then I root for Gonzaga. They have put in the time and work to progress over time and I think it would be a great story. But honestly I would like if SU doesn’t win it, Virginia wins it and we do everything in our power to get get Tony Bennett as our next coach. He is the perfect JB replacement
Yeah, I'd have a problem with it.

I'd particularly like it if they took out Carolina on the way.

I'm rooting for Duke or UNC to win it because it will help with our recruiting.

We beat them both times I can remember that we met in the tournament - in 2010 SU beat them in the 2nd round then in 2016 we beat them in the sweet 16 on the road to the final 4.

We beat them both times I can remember that we met in the tournament - in 2010 SU beat them in the 2nd round then in 2016 we beat them in the sweet 16 on the road to the final 4.

But it wasn't exactly their best versions...they were a 9 seed (and we were a #1 seed) and an #11 seed.

I don't think we have much of a chance against them this year

We are more apt to get Lady Gaga as our coach

Yes. I hate the idea that a good team that is so superior to its mediocre mid major conference brethren just waltzes into a number 1 seed. Number 1 seeds have huge advantages in getting deep into the tournament. Basically they don't have tough games until the Elite 8. While the Zags did well in scheduling a few tough nonconference games, I just hate the idea of how easily they get a number 1 seed and all its advantages. They went 1-2 against ranked teams and they barely beat a very green Duke team in Maui after blowing an 11 point lead with 6 minutes left. Being almost winless against the only ranked teams they faced while blowing out Illinois, Texas A&M and every team west of the Rockies just doesn't scream National Champion deserving to me. I hope they get beat. That's not to say they're not good. I just don't think they'll have really earned it the way I like a team to earn it.

But it wasn't exactly their best versions...they were a 9 seed (and we were a #1 seed) and an #11 seed.

I don't think we have much of a chance against them this year

In 2016 when Gonzaga was an 11 seed after being ranked in the top 10 preseason (with Sabonis, Wiltjer etc) , we were unranked in the top 25 preseason but ended up a 10 seed in the tournament. What’s amazing is that our great 2009-2010 team like the 2003 team was unranked preseason (like Gonzaga) yet rose to a #1 seed at the end of the season but then Arinze :(. No problem if they won it though.

I love watching them play. If they won it all, it could be a celebration of fun basketball.

I honestly don’t think their guard play is good enough to win a title. Their bigs/forwards are great tho

Its wide open this year. Going to be a fun March.

There’s about 9 really good teams and then a tremendous drop off after that and that is the reason so many teams with mediocre records will get in this year.

Gonzaga is probably the best team at full strength and proved that in the OOC, but it always scares me tourney time when they haven’t played anyone in 2 and a half months.

I'm rooting for Duke or UNC to win it because it will help with our recruiting.
No it won't. What would help our recruiting is a baseball style draft eligibility rule. Otherwise, the blue bloods syphon off the top talent each year to replace the talent that just left. It used to be that there wasn't enough room at those schools year after year, so kids needed another place to go. SU was one of those places.

Yes

give it to a traditional power. NO MORE MOUTHS AT THE DINNER TABLE. Ill say it over and over

Yes. I hate the idea that a good team that is so superior to its mediocre mid major conference brethren just waltzes into a number 1 seed. Number 1 seeds have huge advantages in getting deep into the tournament. Basically they don't have tough games until the Elite 8. While the Zags did well in scheduling a few tough nonconference games, I just hate the idea of how easily they get a number 1 seed and all its advantages.
I’ve been saying this for a few years about VU, but ya know Jay’s a great guy and wears expensive suits so I must be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom