just heard a few minutes ago | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

just heard a few minutes ago

I doubt any new stadium plans will be made until the Route 81 rebuild/replacement is finalized

i didn't say i was for a downtown arena, just that there had been talk led mostly by dolgen. but if and when the football team moves, it does beg the question of what about basketball.
If a new football stadium is ever built...it would have to be a domed stadium and so the basketball team would play there... would be crazy to build a smaller, separate arena for hoops given the success of the dome for basketball to date.

i didn't say i was for a downtown arena, just that there had been talk led mostly by dolgen. but if and when the football team moves, it does beg the question of what about basketball.
you are looking at a situation where the Dome will still be standing and there will be a new football stadium, until hoop gets a spot.

or

hoop gets its arena 1st and then football gets it due. which would mean another 25years of the Dome at least.

It's the old lesson: street grids handle traffic better than a single-point expressway entrance. As you note, when 40,000 people leave a place in a short window, there's going to be waiting involved.

No one said we would get rid of all the other streets ...they will still be there.

If a new football stadium is ever built...it would have to be a domed stadium and so the basketball team would play there... would be crazy to build a smaller, separate arena for hoops given the success of the dome for basketball to date.

i agree with this.

I doubt any new stadium plans will be made until the Route 81 rebuild/replacement is finalized
Yeah, it would make too much sense to factor potential stadium traffic in ahead of time.

Speaking of 81 - I haven't heard anything about that since the flurry of conceptual drawings floated around a while back. Are they any closer to picking an option to go with?

At what age does the Dome go from being considered outdated and drab to being historic and nostalgic? It's kind of like when something goes from being considered old and worthless to being an antique and priceless.

Keep the Dome, make tasteful modern improvements and let the place age like a fine wine ;)

Also, make a tunnel leading from a concentrated parking area to the Dome/Quad. Call it the Orange Brick Road. Boom, done.

Or better yet, how about a MONORAIL?!? We could call it the OTTORAIL!

At what age does the Dome go from being considered outdated and drab to being historic and nostalgic? It's kind of like when something goes from being considered old and worthless to being an antique and priceless.

Keep the Dome, make tasteful modern improvements and let the place age like a fine wine ;)

Also, make a tunnel leading from a concentrated parking area to the Dome/Quad. Call it the Orange Brick Road. Boom, done.

Or better yet, how about a MONORAIL?!? We could call it the OTTORAIL!

Is there a chance the track could bend?

I'm not sure what they consider West Campus, but it was spelled out when they got permission from the Planning Commission early last year. Probably something like Irving/Van Buren/I-81/Oakland?

I think the idea is that they're actually increasing the number of spots in the neighborhood (due to the increased demand - they're allowed to build 1.7 million square feet) over the next decade while getting some graduate students to stop using the lots for car storage. It's not going to happen immediately, though. But they're definitely contractually bound to end up with more spaces than they had in 2011 (I'm not sure if it's actually 2,100 - might've been 1,900 or something like that - but it's a large number).

It's my understanding that the law building is the only project to get underway in the short term, resulting in the technical loss of 102 spaces (but, as we all know, most of those 102 spaces were unavailable for football and basketball games - Raynor was usually more than half empty). ESF is building a large academic building on the north half of the Standart lot (http://www.esf.edu/efb/newhome.asp), but I think that doesn't break ground until summer 2013. And SU has acquired the block directly across from that (the one with the ten rental houses on it), which will likely be used to replace that lost parking.

So I think Standart and Fine should remain as-is for a few more years. The next big capital project on the Hill will likely be the renovation of the old law buildings into new quarters for the Falk School, and that won't have any effect on the tailgate situation.

I'm still not seeing it, but then again I am a visual guy and looking at the SU parking map. I don't know how may cars were held at Raynor (or what I think used to be called Raynor( but it always seemed pretty full with tailgaters to me. I know there were no spots avialable for purchae by a season ticket holder so I don't know why they would hold spots empty.

The housing they just built took what used to be buses. Where did they move them to? The only place they could raze and build a lot is bordered by Raynor, Stadium, Standart and Fine View. Visually it looks smaller than what they have already lost and will lose. Maybe the are going to go south of Oakland and tear down those places too?

You are absolutely correct on this. I have made posts in the past on this, run the numbers. It makes no sense to spend $200-300 million for an open air football stadium (UM built a 50K stadium for $288.5 million that opened in 2009; SU plays there this September) that will be used maybe 10 times a year, and another $200-250 million for a basketball arena when you can build a dome that would handle both for the same amount of money, provide basketball fans almost unlimited seating capacity, serve as another indoor practice facility for SU's many sports programs, and allow the facility to host a lot of events an open air stadium or a 24K arena could not. Conventions, Final Fours, major concerts 365 days a year, etc. The new dome will be retractable too, giving SU fans the best of both worlds.

You are absolutely correct on this. I have made posts in the past on this, run the numbers. It makes no sense to spend $200-300 million for an open air football stadium (UM built a 50K stadium for $288.5 million that opened in 2009; SU plays there this September) that will be used maybe 10 times a year, and another $200-250 million for a basketball arena when you can build a dome that would handle both for the same amount of money, provide basketball fans almost unlimited seating capacity, serve as another indoor practice facility for SU's many sports programs, and allow the facility to host a lot of events an open air stadium or a 24K arena could not. Conventions, Final Fours, major concerts 365 days a year, etc. The new dome will be retractable too, giving SU fans the best of both worlds.

You sir get it.

I'm still not seeing it, but then again I am a visual guy and looking at the SU parking map. I don't know how may cars were held at Raynor (or what I think used to be called Raynor( but it always seemed pretty full with tailgaters to me. I know there were no spots avialable for purchae by a season ticket holder so I don't know why they would hold spots empty.

The housing they just built took what used to be buses. Where did they move them to? The only place they could raze and build a lot is bordered by Raynor, Stadium, Standart and Fine View. Visually it looks smaller than what they have already lost and will lose. Maybe the are going to go south of Oakland and tear down those places too?

Good point I forgot to mention it in my post but Raynor did seem to be pretty much full/at capacity for football games unless I am getting Raynor confused with another lot, I dont believe it was ever empty or that they had spots available for purchase. That being said 102 spots can probably be absorbed but only if Fine and Standart are kept open. I hope the administration doesnt try to put everyone at Manley or Skytop because thats not going to go over well at all. Based on OttoMets post I am hopeful the admin understands they need to keep some lots available no matter how much Cantor hates them. One thing that wont work though is more on street parking, those can handle only a group of 2-4 tailgaters at most. At this point most tailgate group are large at least a dozen or so and for those like the Fine group your talking 30-40 people at least.

Good point I forgot to mention it in my post but Raynor did seem to be pretty much full/at capacity for football games unless I am getting Raynor confused with another lot, I dont believe it was ever empty or that they had spots available for purchase. That being said 102 spots can probably be absorbed but only if Fine and Standart are kept open. I hope the administration doesnt try to put everyone at Manley or Skytop because thats not going to go over well at all. Based on OttoMets post I am hopeful the admin understands they need to keep some lots available no matter how much Cantor hates them. One thing that wont work though is more on street parking, those can handle only a group of 2-4 tailgaters at most. At this point most tailgate group are large at least a dozen or so and for those like the Fine group your talking 30-40 people at least.

Agree, Otto's post makes me think they are at least giving some thought to everything. Looking at the property available, at best I can only see a push. Too bad they can't enlarge the parking footprint to an amount that would make an impact.

the handwriting has been on the wall. look towards south campus. but then i've been called an idiot for suggesting such. the dome will not live forever.

Again, the issue isn't having a football stadium at another location, it's what will a replacement stadium look like? You need to find a place(s) for your programs to play.

The university might have a preference to use the dome footprint for other things, but replacing it with another enclosed stadium might be cost prohibitive, and if not enclosed, you will need to build a facility for basketball, and what is the impact on lax programs as well.

Not a highway engineer so I don't have a clue, but it seems to me that a couple of the pluses about a Skytop site would be, they own the land and have plenty of it, and it would be a lot easier to get to, with some upgrading of the access streets.

Not to mention parking.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating for Skytop, just wondering.

Again, the cost of the land is the least of the issues.

im down with that, but i dont see retractable. id imagine it would end up like lucas oil, but with 50k. still dont think we will see it for 25 years or so.

this is a very sad thread.

Very sad indeed, but it makes me very happy that I moved out of there when I did.

I saw Mexicans! Real ones!

im down with that, but i dont see retractable. id imagine it would end up like lucas oil, but with 50k. still dont think we will see it for 25 years or so.

Lucas Oil, $720M for 70k in 2008. Ford Field, 65K, was $430M ten years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom