Justin Taylor transferring to JMU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Justin Taylor transferring to JMU

Hearing how upset he was about getting booed by our own fans really upset me. Felt terrible for him. He loved Syracuse. Worst thing our fans have done in recent memory IMO. Hope he lands well.
I did not realize that until yesterday. Shame on the fans who booed him. That should not happen in college sports. JT was asked to play PF as a SF and was totally outmatched in many games but always played hard. Unfortunately he was a shooter who lost all confidence in his shot from long range. He is a good kid and I hope he does will wherever he ends up.

I know there are some here that think this is a unique phenomenon in Syracuse only, but it’s a big country full of booing college sports fans out there.

And with fans now footing the bill of player payments, it’s just going to get worse. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying it will happen.

Sounds like Taylor needs to go somewhere smaller, with much less pressure, so he can get his mojo back. He was a mess offensively in so many games this year.
It’s true for any athlete on the team you support. In my mind I may be internally booing but it doesn’t help the athlete perform better assuming they are trying. It’s not “motivational”. It won’t serve any useful purpose. It’s basically a form of self aggrandizement. Now if someone is clearly mailing it in all bets are off. Go get em. In that case the jeers are not a misguided motivational tactic but simply a comment on effort.

Shooters gotta shoot. Can’t get out of a slump by not shooting. Can’t shoot without the ball. And yeah Mintz certainly avoided distributing to JT at times even when wide open.
Jt passed on plenty of shots. This isn't on anyone but himself.

Shooters gotta shoot. Can’t get out of a slump by not shooting. Can’t shoot without the ball. And yeah Mintz certainly avoided distributing to JT at times even when wide open.
Yeah, the lack of attempts spoke to a confidence issue. Not hammering the kid but hard to view it otherwise. Mintz going in a different direction with the ball might anger some folks but passing to guy who doesn’t really want the ball isn’t a winning formula. Taylor didn’t really want the ball out there.

Hope he does well somewhere and regains some confidence. He has some talent and works hard. Same goes for any kids that portal by the way, no need for any of us to take this personally, particularly at this point.

Taylor put up plenty of shots. He took 162 shots in 740 minutes.

In comparison, Brown put up 182 shots in 948 minutes.
I think you looked at the wrong #’s accidentally.

This year Chris played 865 minutes and attempted 309 FG or 14.3 fga per 40 minutes.

Justin played 742 minutes and attempted 162 FG or 8.7 per 40 minutes. Pretty big difference.

Chris Bell College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I think you looked at the wrong #’s accidentally.

This year Chris played 865 minutes and attempted 309 FG or 14.3 fga per 40 minutes.

Justin played 742 minutes and attempted 162 FG or 8.7 per 40 minutes. Pretty big difference.

Chris Bell College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
No, I compared Taylor and Brown, not Taylor and Bell.

Sorry, too bad we didn’t feed MaliQ more.
Yeah, unfortunately even with Red taking over it continues a program trend where we have less efficient perimeter players taking shots at a high rate compared to more efficient interior players.

I would have liked to have seen Maliq look for his own buckets a bit more.

Yeah, unfortunately even with Red taking over it continues a program trend where we have less efficient perimeter players taking shots at a high rate compared to more efficient interior players.

They eventually did get Jesse his shots. It’s a problem getting any good passers to even look for them. Actually Joe G gave many of Jesse’s look on offense so I wasn’t that shocked that he may have worried about getting looks on this young team.

I can't even count how many times he had wide open looks and refused to shoot. Why pass a teammate the ball if he refuses to even look at the basket?
Good point, that did happen some. No shade thrown to JT - sorry it didn’t work out

Hearing how upset he was about getting booed by our own fans really upset me. Felt terrible for him. He loved Syracuse. Worst thing our fans have done in recent memory IMO. Hope he lands well.
I think with NIL and us fans having to finance a roster, you are going to see fans boo college players just like they do the pros.

Red had to deal with a lot of players missing for one reason or another after losing Jesse late in the process.

What we saw this year was more forced than architected.

His shot seemed weird to me all the way back when he committed. The numbers were better but the shot was unusual to say the least
Thanks. I don’t do recruiting so i never saw it prior.

I think with NIL and us fans having to finance a roster, you are going to see fans boo college players just like they do the pros.
ok the coaches ,refs and now the even players are paid. fair game for boos . but let's just spare ourselves the jeers for the cheerleaders and tubas. these kids are all working comp .

Red had to deal with a lot of players missing for one reason or another after losing Jesse late in the process.

What we saw this year was more forced than architected.
Jesse wasn’t late in the process, was a couple of weeks after the championship game when he signed with them.

They eventually did get Jesse his shots. It’s a problem getting any good passers to even look for them. Actually Joe G gave many of Jesse’s look on offense so I wasn’t that shocked that he may have worried about getting looks on this young team.
From day one Joe did a nice job of looking for the bigs. Could actually throw it in to the post and did a really nice job feeding the ball ahead to a big on the break.

I’m curious to Justin’s list.
That list may be very interesting. I think the caliber of program on the list will be very telling on why he is transferring. If it’s a top program to be a role player, I think it was probably the fan criticism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom