Justin Taylor transferring to JMU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Justin Taylor transferring to JMU

As Al McGuire always preached...you never boo college athletes. Boo the coaches, the refs or the team as a group but never single out players.
I’ve always been that school of thought and am too old to now boo kids a decade younger than me.

But to play devils advocate with some of the $$$ being thrown around to these kids it’s a very blurred line as they’re essentially professionals.

JT definitely didn’t deserve it. Kid clearly gave it his all and you could see it in his face how much it was weighing on him.

I think with NIL and us fans having to finance a roster, you are going to see fans boo college players just like they do the pros.
Was he booed or just a response to a bad play?

I think this is being exaggerated. Every awful turnover comes with groans. If that NC State game was at home the team would have been mercilessly booed off the court. All of them.

Taylor is an odd player to discuss because he clearly doesn't have the interest sheet of Copeland. None of us know how far he has to drop to start the first game of his new teams season next year. Best of luck regardless we'll see. He also has 8 months to work on his game and get his shot back which he absolutely can do and it will be way easier without being under the SU microscope.

I think this is being exaggerated. Every awful turnover comes with groans. If that NC State game was at home the team would have been mercilessly booed off the court. All of them.

Booed during introductions.

Taylor put up plenty of shots. He took 162 shots in 740 minutes.

In comparison, Brown put up 182 shots in 948 minutes.

Wow. I don’t know what to say to that other than this is a blatant misuse of team resources (in both directions). Way too many shots for Taylor and far too few for Maliq.

Allegedly he was booed for his response in the media to the students booing Joe Girard.

I wasn't there..so who knows...I guess only the people that booed could answer. Regardless, none of our players should be booed

Wow. I don’t know what to say to that other than this is a blatant misuse of team resources (in both directions). Way too many shots for Taylor and far too few for Maliq.
I mention because it's both true that a) Taylor passed up shots he could have taken and b) he took too many shots relative to a player that we should have gotten more looks for.

His release was too slow, and his shot is awkward. You can get away with that at lower levels when you a 6-6. Once he got rushed a bit it fell off.

But he did some good things that many didnt notice. He boxed out, he played positional basketball well.. He passed the ball.

Just a bit too small to play the game with his skill set where we needed him.. 6-10 he could have real solid.
His shot looks like Larry Bird with cerebral palsy

His shot looks like Larry Bird with cerebral palsy
Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

The Maliq shot issue is on Maliq bit too. At least thus far he hasn't demonstrated any offensive game that would result in shot attempts other than unguarded threes, rolls and open court. Shot attempts for bigs require some post game, and we have not seen anything close to resembling that.

And before the Maliq fan club goes postal - I AM A FAN OF MALIQ - but his offensive game needs to develop, a lot.

Nice spot for him. This tournament run could result in them losing a ton of guys. Have to think he has a good rest of his college experience off the court there. Easier conference to use his size to get easy looks.

The Maliq shot issue is on Maliq bit too. At least thus far he hasn't demonstrated any offensive game that would result in shot attempts other than unguarded threes, rolls and open court. Shot attempts for bigs require some post game, and we have not seen anything close to resembling that.

And before the Maliq fan club goes postal - I AM A FAN OF MALIQ - but his offensive game needs to develop, a lot.
Very worried if Malik decides he doesn’t want to be a center and would rather Jack threes. He was in the perfect role for him this year both early coming off the bench and then at the end playing as many minutes as possible at the 5.

I would assume the JMU coach would try to move to a HM job… he was connected w WVU at one point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom