Juwan Howard | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Juwan Howard

Not a good look for anyone but especially for Howard. Considering the length of time he's been exposed to the game of basketball and trash talk, I don't get his anger. He lost. That's not unusual. Taking a swing at someone because he got mad isn't acceptable anymore. Gard handled it poorly but Howard can't react that way. Not everyone is suited to be a coach.

Normally I agree with you, but a coach is supposed to be a leader. Under no circumstances is what Howard did acceptable. How can he possibly tell his players not to get upset, if referees let a game get out of hand.
And watching many college games, both men and women, there are a lot of incompetent referees out there.
Why are taking small parts of my response and making it seem like its my only thought in the discussion? When did I EVER say what he did is acceptable? Read all my comments. Not just my responses to people.

And you dont have to agree with me. That's not what I am looking for. We all have different experiences that influences our opinions.

Gard knew the intensity of the enviorment. They both were heated with each other. He knew what he was doing when he stopped Juwan.
So you think he was trying to start a fight with the 6'9 Howard?

You had me right up until the end... They all do it, both sides, and if you think any different your post is wildly ironic
The only irony is that you did exactly what I was talking about: blaming the other guy for what our guys do, trying to normalize bad behavior.

Or do you think the January 6 insurrection attempt was "normal political discourse?"

Last edited:
Sorry,I don’t agree with anyone who things what Gard did warrants someone getting “punched”. If what Gard did was so egregious then he’d get penalized even if Howard hadn’t “punched” someone.
I didn't say he should be punished or the punch was warranted but rather there was a lack of common sense on Gard's part. All I keep saying is that you don't touch someone who is clearly angry and agitated.

The only irony us that you did exactly what I was talking about: blaming the other guy for what our guy do, trying to normalize bad behavior.

Or do you think the January 6 insurrection attempt was "normal political discourse?"

By your standard 1/6 would probably be characterized as a “mostly peaceful protest.”

No, but that's what you got out of what I said?
It was very unclear. You said Gard knew what he was doing when he stopped Juwan, as if there was some negative intentions behind it.

Sorry but I got no blame for Gard. He touched Howard on way by on the outside of the arm. Howard responds with grabbing him by the scruff of his shirt. Gard then is seperated and watches the rest of the melee from several feet away while Howard and multiple UM players start throwing. If you want to assign blame to Gard give him 5% responsibility for being there. Once they break this down frame by frame I think Howard will be gone because what he is saying happened is NOT what occurs on film.

Attachments

• PXL_20220221_172555846.jpg
    PXL_20220221_172555846.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20220221_172357385.jpg
    PXL_20220221_172357385.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 65
Yeah I had initially been of the mind that Gard's timeout was the first of the "out of line" actions - but now upon review that's not the case at all. If Howard just wanted that game to be over he wouldn't have had his starters in pressing (yes, it was a press) the Wisc scrubs. At the very least, he was every bit as "at fault" as Gard in terms of the end-game sequence - i.e. no basis whatsoever to be hot and bothered when the horn sounded, other than his team just got worked by a team he probably thought they should work

Howard would really have gone crazy facing Jim Calhoun's vintage UConn teams. He used to continue the press all the way to the end of games he was winning by 15+ points. It started several fights back in the old Big East days.

Isn't it time to lock this thread since it has turned in to a pissing contest?

The only irony is that you did exactly what I was talking about: blaming the other guy for what our guys do, trying to normalize bad behavior.

Lol what??? Genuinely cannot track what you're saying here. Who did I blame for what? I never even remotely mentioned anything about Jan 6th and have no intention of going down that rabbit hole with you here. Wierd thing to bring up. In your last line you're calling out only networks that you apparently disagree with for disinfo and it slaps the face of your entire post above it...

I blame Howard for his own actions, he needs to pay the piper for acting like that. Regardless if you feel he was baited into it or not, or even to what degree. He's a grown man and professional leader he can't act like that.

Isn't it time to lock this thread since it has turned in to a pissing contest?
Why do we have to get to the point where threads get locked? We shouldn't have to rely on the mods for everything. Just be decent (and I'm not talking to you, Dave). Certain things should not be discussed here... masks, politics, etc.

It was very unclear. You said Gard knew what he was doing when he stopped Juwan, as if there was some negative intentions behind it.
We dont know the recruiting and coaching back stories. The comments, gestures combative actions during the game. There could be animosity that we are not aware of. As a coach you know when its good to have a extended conversation after the game and when its not. Stopping a coach and demanding him to talk is not the way to do it. Some people can only understand that if they have coached in a competitive situation before. Gard wasnt trying to fight him. Thats absurd. I just think Gard knew nothing good was going to come out of stopping him and that the results was only gonna make Juwan look bad. Does that make sense?

We dont know the recruiting and coaching back stories. The comments, gestures combative actions during the game. There could be animosity that we are not aware of. As a coach you know when its good to have a extended conversation after the game and when its not. Stopping a coach and demanding him to talk is not the way to do it. Some people can only understand that if they have coached in a competitive situation before. Gard wasnt trying to fight him. Thats absurd. I just think Gard knew nothing good was going to come out of stopping him and that the results was only gonna make Juwan look bad. Does that make sense?
I appreciate your response. Just watching the video (too) many times and seeing the interactions they've had at previous end of games, I respectfully disagree and highly doubt that was his intent.

okay well the shot clock was turned off...only 22 seconds left in the game.

the team with the lead has the ball and normally just dribbles it out from there with no more scoring at that point...

but for some odd reason the team trailing by double digits is prssing with its starters...

and whhaddya know...the total squeeked over the over ...hmmm...not fishy at all...

Gard holding up Howard in the handshake line then grabbing at his arm while being told "don't touch me" was wrong. Not the time/place to talk it out.
Regardless, Howard's response was wrong -and to a much greater degree.
Lots of tape being watch today by the Powers That Be.
After the final decision/penalties/etc handed down, this thread's debate will really get started!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom