Juwan Howard | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Juwan Howard

Kudos to Howard and Co. for convincing the media that Gard needs to be suspended. A truly remarkable feat.
I will be blunt. I think race is why Gard has to be punished.

You can’t just discipline Howard when Gard is responsible for his team.

That was an embarrassment. Howard’s PC didn’t even get him to accept blame.

So to get this over. Discipline them both. Don’t want the media making a racial thing.

I will be blunt. I think race is why Gard has to be punished.

You can’t just discipline Howard when Gard is responsible for his team.

That was an embarrassment. Howard’s PC didn’t even get him to accept blame.

So to get this over. Discipline them both. Don’t want the media making a racial thing.
Yeah, I think you’re right. I have some additional commentary that would be more appropriate on the OT board.

I also want to mention that I was a huge Fab 5 fan when I was in HS. I had a Michigan Starter jacket and everything. While I don’t have a dog in this fight, I lean Wolverine.

Some people are really twisting themselves into knots defending Howard. Gard didn't "grab" him; he placed his hand on his arm. Coaches do this all the time in the handshake line, and in fact these two have been pretty buddy-buddy previously. It was hardly a physical gesture.

Furthermore, Howard grabbed GARD by the lapel shortly afterwards. Finally, Howard was so shaken and threatened by the hand on the arm that it took him almost 15 seconds before he threw the blow. Oh wait! I should point out that he didn't hit Gard, he hit another guy! To paraphrase Stephen Stills: "when you can't hit the one you want, hit the one you're with."

As an aside, he was upset about the timeout? Gee, don't slap on a press at the end of a game you have lost. I recall SU football being up big on somebody late in the 4th Q and the opposing team started blitzing. Coach Mac promptly threw deep for a TD. After the game he said "that was my way of saying "you want to blitz? Let's have some fun" "

He showed extremely poor judgement. It was obvious Juwan Howard was very angry. He didn't need to poke the bear. I am not sure what the penalty should be, but he was not completely innocent.
Yeah Gard should have realized that he was dealing with a combustible maniac whose response when Gard stopped him was to grab a fistful of Gard's shirt and point his figure in his face. Howard had no legit reason to be angry prior to that.

Some people are really twisting themselves into knots defending Howard. Gard didn't "grab" him; he placed his hand on his arm. Coaches do this all the time in the handshake line, and in fact these two have been pretty buddy-buddy previously. It was hardly a physical gesture.

Furthermore, Howard grabbed GARD by the lapel shortly afterwards. Finally, Howard was so shaken and threatened by the hand on the arm that it took him almost 15 seconds before he threw the blow. Oh wait! I should point out that he didn't hit Gard, he hit another guy!

As an aside, the big (euphemism) was upset about the timeout? Gee, don't slap on a press at the end of a game you have lost. I recall SU football being up big on somebody late in the 4th Q and the opposing team started blitzing. Coach Mac promptly threw deep for a TD. After the game he said "that was my way of saying "you want to blitz? Let's have some fun" "

That last story totally sounds like a Rutgers move w Shady -
but he wasn’t coach there during Mac’s time.

Agreed. I'm not sure why people think Gard did ANYTHING that would warrant a suspension.

I literally just watched it again, and Gard TOUCHED his elbow trying to speak to him. He didn't grab it. He didn't (obv) throw a punch. He touched his elbow to get his attention.

Sometimes, it doesn't take two to tango.
Amen. I get the feeling some people watched this altercation on the radio.

Pearl punching Ewing, and Boeheim throwing the chair in the press conference, and Coleman throwing haymakers at Cornell, and Douglas scrapping with Providence in the final 4…..I miss old school, competitive, Big East basketball and rivalries!!! The game is so soft today, and everybody is all buddy-buddy.

Also, this altercation is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened and I’m horrified and I’m going to keep talking about it for days!

Note to self- don't share. Got it.

I'll see myself out in this invigorating thread.
Just seems like a lot of conjecture. If something really bad happened wouldn't we have heard about it from Howard?

Howard deserves the hammer.

He is the one who wouldn’t let the game end and then said I won’t forget this to Gard.
Gard has to get punished so Howard can get more.
This is a perfect analysis of the situation by Fraschilla, one of the best analysts in the game btw. He highlights why Howard had zero beef. Howard's barking that he "won't forget that" is complete nonsense. Gard did nothing wrong. He tried to get Howard's attention afterward. Maybe he should have realized he was dealing with a deranged idiot and let it go. But that certainly doesn't warrant suspending Gard, which would be bat sheet crazy.

He wasn’t getting fired but he has to have zero tolerance for this stuff now.

5 games isn’t nothing so he got a legit punishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom