Juwan Howard | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Juwan Howard

Etan has opened my eyes to different perspectives on various issues and I appreciate that. But agree- this isn't one of those issues. And talking to former Fab 5 teammate Ray Jackson about it - yeah there's an objective perspective :confused:

Slay Jackson

Etan is all in on the racism aspect with this story. Way off the deep end
Would his opinion change if Howard’s and Gard’s roles in this were reversed? I think it would. I know mine would not. I’m pretty sure yours would not. I’m confident Jemele Hill’s and Fran Frischilla’s would not.

But it’s not just Etan. There are a lot of “stand your ground” folk who would be singing a different tune had the roles been reversed.

Would his opinion change if Howard’s and Gard’s roles in this were reversed? I think it would. I know mine would not. I’m pretty sure yours would not. I’m confident Jemele Hill’s and Fran Frischilla’s would not.

But it’s not just Etan. There are a lot of “stand your ground” folk who would be singing a different tune had the roles been reversed.
I’m with you even if that means I get accused of white privilege. I readily accept that my life is made exponentially easier because I’m a middle aged white man. I can’t see this case that way though.

The answer to every problem
There are zero issues in today's world that are about individual behavior. It's all about your race, religion, political beliefs and sexual preference. Every life matters as long as it isn't based on your behavior

Why? Howard was clearly in the wrong and deserved a significantly stronger penalty.

Question -- I seem to recall Howard having a similar incident [might have been at the NBA level], where he lost control and had to be restrained from attacking an opposing coach. Am I misremembering?

And if this isn't the first time, how'd he get off with such a light penalty, relatively speaking?

This is a former professional athlete. He's HUGE -- played around 6-9 250 pounds; he's probably closer to 3-bills nowadays. He could do some damage if he really went off.

Question -- I seem to recall Howard having a similar incident [might have been at the NBA level], where he lost control and had to be restrained from attacking an opposing coach. Am I misremembering?

And if this isn't the first time, how'd he get off with such a light penalty, relatively speaking?

This is a former professional athlete. He's HUGE -- played around 6-9 250 pounds; he's probably closer to 3-bills nowadays. He could do some damage if he really went off.
Last year in the Big 10 tournament vs Maryland, he got into it with Mark Turgeon.

He has some anger problems. There's a pattern. He needs to work on it or he wont be coaching long. He's a south side Chicago guy. Im sure he can throw down.

He has some anger problems. There's a pattern. He needs to work on it or he wont be coaching long. He's a south side Chicago guy. Im sure he can throw down.
They haven't used fist on the Southside in 40 years

My juco team got into an actual brawl at Broome CC. Talking folding chairs getting thrown at us from the stands, coaches getting put in headlocks, grown men stomping out members of our women's team, dudes standing in the middle of the gym with a hand in their waistband, having to track down teammates who got chased half a mile outside. Ya know fun stuff like that. Pretty sure it all happened because our center smacked their center in the back of the head in the second half and everyone in the gym besides the refs saw it.

I wish I had a video of it* because my friend running into the crowd with a plastic chain post like a gladiator was hilarious looking back on it. Our damn coach made sure it never saw the light of day haha

I don't think that anyone got suspended or any games were forfeited. I know that we just continued our Thanksgiving trip to Greensboro (stayed two blocks away from a strip club that had jello wrestling Turkey Day night, was an awesome time).**

No real reason to this post because I realize the gap between the two situations but I always laugh at the outrage when little skirmishes happen.

*If I ever get my hands on it I will not be posting it anyplace or showing anyone because I was definitely running around chitting my pants like the relatively sheltered kid I was/am

**Was looking forward to going back at the ACCT in 2020 but covid canceled it all before I got the chance

lol facts.
My Father-in-law grew up in Chicago as did my wife who passed. Fred was a very unique guy. Ran a division for the Chase Bag company which was sold to 3m and on weekends was a very accomplished jazz drummer. Long story short he would take me to the southside places he used to play back in the day and i never had a better time. Amazing people and of course the best music and food. It's a shame what has become of it today. It was always rough but today it's a war zone. As to JH I'm sure he can handle himself although that slap needs some work:). Hopefully he gets some help as I truly think he is doing this because of his love for the game, Michigan, and the kids. He certainly doesn't need to money. Money.

So you didnt see Juwan attempt to walk pass him? And you think its a great time to be explaining something to an upset coach? Thats not a good time to try to justify his actions. Ive coached for over 20 years. Believe me, I know.
Irrelevant, he tried to punch someone and it was not even Gard. There was no justification for that behavior. Self defense? Where did someone throw a punch at him?

My Father-in-law grew up in Chicago as did my wife who passed. Fred was a very unique guy. Ran a division for the Chase Bag company which was sold to 3m and on weekends was a very accomplished jazz drummer. Long story short he would take me to the southside places he used to play back in the day and i never had a better time. Amazing people and of course the best music and food. It's a shame what has become of it today. It was always rough but today it's a war zone. As to JH I'm sure he can handle himself although that slap needs some work:). Hopefully he gets some help as I truly think he is doing this because of his love for the game, Michigan, and the kids. He certainly doesn't need to money. Money.
Thanks for sharing and good points

Irrelevant, he tried to punch someone and it was not even Gard. There was no justification for that behavior. Self defense? Where did someone throw a punch at him?
What are you talking about? I didn’t say it justifies Howard’s actions. Just making a point that he used poor judgment as well. Go read my thoughts on the whole situation before you react to short responses I made to people.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I didn’t say it justifies Howard’s actions. Just making a point that he used poor judgment as well. Go read my thoughts on the whole situation before you react to short responses I made to people.
You said Gards actions instigated Howard in some bizzaro world way because he tried to engage with Howard. I totally reject that as in any way shape or form being somehow a trigger for violent response from Howard. No this incident is all on Howard because he did not keep it verbal but resorted to physical intimidation. You are making excuses for this action that can not be tolerated in this setting if ever.
You tried to mitigate the situation from Howard by trying to shift blame. He tried to punch a third party not Gard.

My juco team got into an actual brawl at Broome CC. Talking folding chairs getting thrown at us from the stands, coaches getting put in headlocks, grown men stomping out members of our women's team, dudes standing in the middle of the gym with a hand in their waistband, having to track down teammates who got chased half a mile outside. Ya know fun stuff like that. Pretty sure it all happened because our center smacked their center in the back of the head in the second half and everyone in the gym besides the refs saw it.

I wish I had a video of it* because my friend running into the crowd with a plastic chain post like a gladiator was hilarious looking back on it. Our damn coach made sure it never saw the light of day haha

I don't think that anyone got suspended or any games were forfeited. I know that we just continued our Thanksgiving trip to Greensboro (stayed two blocks away from a strip club that had jello wrestling Turkey Day night, was an awesome time).**

No real reason to this post because I realize the gap between the two situations but I always laugh at the outrage when little skirmishes happen.

*If I ever get my hands on it I will not be posting it anyplace or showing anyone because I was definitely running around chitting my pants like the relatively sheltered kid I was/am

**Was looking forward to going back at the ACCT in 2020 but covid canceled it all before I got the chance
A lot happens in this post.

Stand Out Social Media Content GIF by Houndstooth Media Group

You said Gards actions instigated Howard in some bizzaro world way because he tried to engage with Howard. I totally reject that as in any way shape or form being somehow a trigger for violent response from Howard. No this incident is all on Howard because he did not keep it verbal but resorted to physical intimidation. You are making excuses for this action that can not be tolerated in this setting if ever.
You tried to mitigate the situation from Howard by trying to shift blame. He tried to punch a third party not Gard.
Making excuses? LOL. Read Post 111. Stop reading my responses with other people. Its screwing you up. I wasnt talking to you. Its like joining a conversation late without hearing what was said prior. If you want to judge me and not seek to understand than dont respond to my posts. Im here for positve dialogue.

Last edited:
Making excuses? LOL. Read Post 111. Stop reading my responses with other people. Its screwing you up. I wasnt talking to you. Its like joining a conversation late without hearing what was said prior. If you want to judge me and not seek to understand than dont respond to my posts. Im here for positve dialogue.
You said in that post both guys were wrong and I reject that premise. He tried to punch someone not Gard. How you think Gard was somehow responsible for that action I do not know. Anything beyond verbal banter was and is totally on Howard.

IMO, If you’re going to coach at the High School, college or pro levels you had better have your ego in control. There is no place where throwing a punch as a coach is acceptable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom