Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is the selectivity JB employs when he puts players on blast.
Yeah, I think that’s fair. But I think that has more to do with what he thinks will work than favoritism or other nefarious intent

Well, Kadary played very effectively last season and is now in the portal. Do you believe he should demand to start and play 30+ minutes and run the offense how he sees fit with the coaches recruiting him? I'm talking about at major teams, not Seton Hall or the like.
No he should of been treated fairly. And he wasn’t. JB had a lot of head scratching coaching moments this year

Can we setup a special forum for CC and CR? Maybe add the magic 8ball in there too?
I will not be deplatformed. I think I might send Temmery some more money just to be on the safe side.

over the guys twisting themselves into a pretzel to explain why JB handled everything perfectly and that this is actually a GREAT thing?

Cmon. I don’t believe you.

I like Nate but he appreciates the loyalty of JB to the area so he won’t ever say anything critical.
I try to make my criticism as if we are pretending we are still a pillar of college basketball.
When you accept we aren’t then the disappointment subsides.

The moderator responding to Chugg is basically IMO rationalizing that the status quo isn’t going to change. Our roster will not compete for a conference top 4/ national top 25 with Joe Girard as the starting PG and getting the bulk of the minutes.
The kid isn’t good enough for that role.

It sucks for people who accept this to be likely.
Those who don’t can spin to fit the narrative we will be fine.

We won’t suck with JB but we are a plucky squad whom won’t be a conference or national contender but can go on a run in the tournament if we get hot.

JB is not above criticism. There is plenty to criticize:

- Recruiting isn’t where it needs to be. We’ve been 1 or 2 guys away for awhile now every season. And we’ve been runner up to a handful of recruiting wars.
- I would have played Kadary more
- I would like to see him mix up defenses more
- I hate playing too short of a bench

Where the disagreement often comes between myself and those that perpetually bitch is that I don’t change the goal posts. Throughout the years there is always some new thing that has passed JB by, then that area of the team improves and suddenly there is something else that the old man just can’t seem to grasp. “He can’t coach offense anymore, we don’t run sets, he can’t recruit, he can’t develop his players, nepotism in coaching hires, nepotism in on court decisions, his son is just a catch-and-shoot, the zone doesn’t work against this day-in-age’s game, he yells too much, he only yells at certain players, he picks favorites, he speaks his mind too much, he throws players under the bus in pressers... yada yada yada.”

I wish Kadary wanted to be here, I really do. It hurts that he doesn’t want to be but it takes two to tango. I’m not willing to crush the guy based on the whims of a 19yo kid. Kadary played in 28 games and averaged 21 mins a game this year as a frosh. MCW played in 26 games and averaged 10mpg as a frosh. Dion played 34 games and averaged 16mpg as a frosh. Both MCW & Dion were instructed, by JB, on shot selection and neither was handed the reins bc they had more experienced players in front of them, just as Kadary did. JB is going to be JB. He didn’t do anything different than he had ever done and I’m sorry but Kadary won’t ever amount to MCW or Dion. I don’t think his strength or athleticism will allow him to grow to that level. I hope to be wrong, I’d never wish ill will on any kid... but if it was good enough for MCW & Dion, whom JB groomed into Millionaires, why isn’t it good enough for Kadary?

Kadary was playing virtually all the closer minutes (most of the season really as much as ppl may want to dispute that) until his injury happened in the ACCT. Jim had shown trust in Kadary, he had given him the reins. He played him in the most important times of the game. Did I want more minutes for Kadary? Yes, but I’m just some guy. Jim Boeheim runs the program. He knew Buddy was his best scorer and that he had to feed him minutes. He knew that the program had invested a lot in Joe and that he couldn’t just treat him like chopped liver.

I’m not willing to lay all of the blame, for Kadary leaving, at the feet of Jim. Kadary is taking the easy way out imo. He’s leaving the training of an all time great coach under the impression that some lesser coach will let him do whatever he wants. That’s not making him a better ball player. Do you guys think it is?

There is one guy on here (who’s a self appointed basketball genius - the rest of us just blindly follow coach) who said that JB played some bench guys in a game, earlier this season, for no other reason than hoping that they would fail so that he could prove a point — to media members or to online posters or to radio show callers or to whoever JB’s victim of the day might be — that he was right and they were wrong. That’s insanity.

You got one guy on here,who you two seem to be lock-in-step with, that just really isn’t all that impressed with JB’s resume. Lol. I mean, that’s so funny, I laughed for a good amount of time about it.

I’m not willing to align myself with ppl that think like that.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure. Richmond has the spotlight as a transfer and anywhere he goes he has hype and high expectations all over him now. That can be tough on a kid. Wish him all the best.

His assists totals trended down dramatically towards the end of the season.

He shot 12 times in the last 4 games. If you want to be taken seriously, at least learn to count.

If he was passing way too much against Houston, how is it that he only had 1 assist in 23 minutes of play?

Lastly, narative is not a word. I think you were trying to use the word narrative.

Though it makes no sense here. Like the rest of your post.

narrative definition (for future reference):

a spoken or written account of connected events; a story.

He actually took 13 shots the last 4 games of the season...
1617303827412.png

And as far as I know, it's tougher to get assists when nobody can make a shot. Kadary took 4 shots against Houston, in 23 minutes. Hardly a guy looking to get his.

He actually took 13 shots the last 4 games of the season...
View attachment 199219

And as far as I know, it's tougher to get assists when nobody can make a shot. Kadary took 4 shots against Houston, in 23 minutes. Hardly a guy looking to get his.
That makes sense against Houston, where the team shot 28%. In that game, we had 5 assists as a team. I am not sure we have done worse in that stat since assists started getting tracked decades ago.

Against WVU, we shot 59% as a team. Kadary had 2 assists in 14 minutes. Why was JGII able to get 7 in 29 minutes?

Against San Diego State, we shot 55.3% as a team. Kadary had 1 assist in 16 minutes. JGIII had 7 in 29 minutes.

Kadary is a very good player who has a ton of potential. He had a bunch of outstanding games earlier in the season where he put up outstanding numbers across the board. Something happened...that is what I wanted to discuss.

All well and good, but offensive statistics are only part of the game, and looking at that alone doesn't tell the full picture of a player's worth.

Both the defense and team rebounding improved substantially with Kadary on the floor -- even when he was playing alongside Joe.

So [not directed specifically at you, shandeezy -- you are a poster I respect a lot], when I see people downplaying him "only" being a 6.3 ppg scorer, calling him "Jordan," or trying to justify that Joe is equally as valuable by comparing per-40 stats, it all just seems like rationalization.

My only point was that, while I absolutely believe Kadary is a better player than Joe and the minutes played for both should have been reflected as such, I don’t think we’re losing an all-American caliber, future lotto pick here. Happy to eat crow if that gets proven wrong.

I would also say that pointing out team rebounding stats with Kadary in the game is just a means of rationalizing in the other direction. His rebounding numbers were marginally better than the shorter, less athletic guy ahead of him. In his last two games in Orange, he played 37 minutes and had one more rebound than a dead guy.

I don’t think a coach should be calling a guy out publicly for his conditioning (especially when Joe’s wasn’t much better), but he wasn’t wrong. The low motor thing was also an issue - one that was known before he even set foot on campus. If he wants to be the man somewhere and run the show at 35+ minutes per game, then I hope he improves on these things.

JB is not above criticism. There is plenty to criticize:

- Recruiting isn’t where it needs to be. We’ve been 1 or 2 guys away for awhile now every season. And we’ve been runner up to a handful of recruiting wars.
- I would have played Kadary more
- I would like to see him mix up defenses more
- I hate playing too short of a bench

Where the disagreement often comes between myself and those that perpetually bitch is that I don’t change the goal posts. Throughout the years there is always some new thing that has passed JB by, then that area of the team improves and suddenly there is something else that the old man just can’t seem to grasp. “He can’t coach offense anymore, we don’t run sets, he can’t recruit, he can’t develop his players, nepotism in coaching hires, nepotism in on court decisions, his son is just a catch-and-shoot, the zone doesn’t work against this day-in-age’s game, he yells too much, he only yells at certain players, he picks favorites, he speaks his mind too much, he throws players under the bus in pressers... yada yada yada.”

I wish Kadary wanted to be here, I really do. It hurts that he doesn’t want to be but it takes two to tango. I’m not willing to crush the guy based on the whims of a 19yo kid. Kadary played in 28 games and averaged 21 mins a game this year as a frosh. MCW played in 26 games and averaged 10mpg as a frosh. Dion played 34 games and averaged 16mpg as a frosh. Both MCW & Dion were instructed, by JB, on shot selection and neither was handed the reins bc they had more experienced players in front of them, just as Kadary did. JB is going to be JB. He didn’t do anything different than he had ever done and I’m sorry but Kadary won’t ever amount to MCW or Dion. I don’t think his strength or athleticism will allow him to grow to that level. I hope to be wrong, I’d never wish ill will on any kid... but if it was good enough for MCW & Dion, whom JB groomed into Millionaires, why isn’t it good enough for Kadary?

Kadary was playing virtually all the closer minutes (most of the season really as much as ppl may want to dispute that) until his injury happened in the ACCT. Jim had shown trust in Kadary, he had given him the reins. He played him in the most important times of the game. Did I want more minutes for Kadary? Yes, but I’m just some guy. Jim Boeheim runs the program. He knew Buddy was his best scorer and that he had to feed him minutes. He knew that the program had invested a lot in Joe and that he couldn’t just treat him like chopped liver.

I’m not willing to lay all of the blame, for Kadary leaving, at the feet of Jim. Kadary is taking the easy way out imo. He’s leaving the training of an all time great coach under the impression that some lesser coach will let him do whatever he wants. That’s not making him a better ball player. Do you guys think it is?

There is one guy on here (who’s a self appointed basketball genius - the rest of us just blindly follow coach) who said that JB played some bench guys in a game, earlier this season, for no other reason than hoping that they would fail so that he could prove a point — to media members or to online posters or to radio show callers or to whoever JB’s victim of the day might be — that he was right and they were wrong. That’s insanity.

You got one guy on here,who you two seem to be lock-in-step with, that just really isn’t all that impressed with JB’s resume. Lol. I mean, that’s so funny, I laughed for a good amount of time about it.

I’m not willing to align myself with ppl that think like that.
Some good points there but three quick counters:

The issues you id in your bullet points are many of the same things that bother some of those that "perpetually bitch". Probably because these tend to be perpetual problems.

MCW and Dion had far greater competition for PT when they were freshmen than KR.

Criticizing JB for his behavior in pressers is very fair ground. Periodically he embarrasses himself and really should be no problem that he gets called on it.

That makes sense against Houston, where the team shot 28%. In that game, we had 5 assists as a team. I am not sure we have done worse in that stat since assists started getting tracked decades ago.

Against WVU, we shot 59% as a team. Kadary had 2 assists in 14 minutes. Why was JGII able to get 7 in 29 minutes?

Against San Diego State, we shot 55.3% as a team. Kadary had 1 assist in 16 minutes. JGIII had 7 in 29 minutes.

Kadary is a very good player who has a ton of potential. He had a bunch of outstanding games earlier in the season where he put up outstanding numbers across the board. Something happened...that is what I wanted to discuss.
He did seem to be a little less aggressive defensively towards the end of the year and maybe disinterested? Was it the knee bothering him or did he have 1 knee out the door already?

Did the poor shooting against Houston only affect Kadary’s assist numbers? Kadary didn’t get assists because the other guys suck, while Joe didn’t get assists because he sucks?

Losing Kadary wouldn’t suck as much if we actually had PG depth.
That is what these back and forths just ignore. We went all-in with a SG playing out of position.

Kadary was the best PG we had since Ennis. As I wouldn’t call Gbinije a PG.
Gbinije was a Better player though.

He did seem to be a little less aggressive defensively towards the end of the year and maybe disinterested? Was it the knee bothering him or did he have 1 knee out the door already?
I think the injury played a role. Can't believe no journalist hasn't asked him about this. Maybe there was an article and I missed it. Given the news he is leaving, I guess it really doesn't matter any longer.

Sigh.

Did the poor shooting against Houston only affect Kadary’s assist numbers? Kadary didn’t get assists because the other guys suck, while Joe didn’t get assists because he sucks?

very few people suggest Joe isn’t a good passer.
hes got pretty good vision.

the issues with Joe are his handle and his defense...and his shot selection

You could argue that maybe the decision having been maybe already made by Kadary plays in. If you read the tea leaves from his interview comments for me it pieces together his desire to be more aggressive to get his own. His social media is retweets of stuff posted about his numbers and hype behind him being the next great Cuse guard. He made two critical passes the one to Braswell to put us up 9 vs WVU and then then bringing it up at the end. He definitely took it on himself to go 1 on 1 more even if it ended in a pass like that first half drive.

It looked to me that at whatever point he had a different approach. In all cases he was still looking to get it to his teammates if not off 1 on 1 action.

Playing the sophomore w experience over the true freshman

Using PT as a carrot and employing a “prove you can shoot in practice 1st”

Gradually expanding the kids role as he improved

These are not radical ideas here or in CBB

Extremely excited for when this applies to Benny sitting behind Woody when he decides to come back!

If Kardary goes to FSU I think SU will be in big trouble next year when we play them. You think fans would boo him at the dome? I think I would. Nothing personnal against the kid, just be a sports fan.

Losing Kadary wouldn’t suck as much if we actually had PG depth.
That is what these back and forths just ignore. We went all-in with a SG playing out of position.

Kadary was the best PG we had since Ennis. As I wouldn’t call Gbinije a PG.
Gbinije was a Better player though.
I actually think PG as a designation is an old way of thinking. We don't need a classic PG type.

I think Joe is a good passer and gets assists. Buddy is a scorer and if the last bunch of games hold, he should be a ball stopper in some context (ie. the last guy who gets the ball).

I think we'll miss Kadary's length and athleticism on defense more. He could also drive and drive or finish way better than Joe. Hoping the defense is fair trade with the new home-grown transfer.

Extremely excited for when this applies to Benny sitting behind Woody when he decides to come back!
If that's what coach thinks based on what he's seeing practice, yep

(I don't think this will happen)

very few people suggest Joe isn’t a good passer.
hes got pretty good vision.

the issues with Joe are his handle and his defense...and his shot selection

This. Joe needs to work all summer on beating his man. He can't do it with speed or athleticism so he needs to work on his handle. There are a lot of tools to get by your man. It takes a ton of commitment.

Torrence actually has this skillset and the strength to go with. His issue is he has to be able to score in the paint and hit an open jumper.

That said Joe has to commit himself this summer.

As for defense- it's just effort and not getting too caught up in his offense.

I didn't notice a difference in his play at the end of the season indicating a guy looking to get his, on the other hand those quotes from the Athletic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom