Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his too. And in most Syracuse and every non Syracuse college b-ball fan that I know, that have texted me throughout the year(Bonnies, Maryland, Duke, etc) - ie “what is Boeheim doing with Kadary?”
That's a lot of anecdotal evidence. I'm super impressed.

I think reasonable people can agree that there's a case that he was used improperly. I can see it. I'm nodding in the direction of the narrative and don't think it's crazy.

I also think there's a case that JB had a plan to get him to where he needed to be and him coming off the bench gradually, having handcuffs on when to shoot the 3 (both have historical evidence in support) was a part of the plan. The thing that drives me nuts is that there is zero room in your take to allow this possibility.

I've yet to read a plausible reason *why* JB would play Joe over Kadary. It's always "playing favorites" or that he's stubborn or he doesn't understand the stats like our message board fans. I think that's nonsense.

If he was as good as some think he would put up unbelievable stats in 35+ minutes a night and turned pro. He would be gone anyway
Exactly, the staff wanted him to be a 2 year guy. Maybe G league is a better option for him.

As the season progressed, Kadary looked for his shot a lot more. The last 10 games or so he played, his assist totals dropped dramatically.

I asked this question before. Why? At this point, I wonder if he had decided by that point to leave and focused on scoring so he would be more attractive to other schools.
So was he taking what the defenses showed him? Were people being locked up and he was more open? Were people standing around and waiting for someone to do something? I think a kid dropping dimes the way he does is just as attractive as scoring to a future school especially at pg, but maybe that's just me. I think he was starting to break out tools according to what was going on, on the court. Never felt he was playing outside himself or being selfish.

I really like Kadary as a player. He has some flaws in his game (including motor, which isn't always easy to fix), but he's a freshman who can certainly improve. I do think he's a better option at PG than Joe and the minutes probably should have been reflected as such.

However (Stephen A. Smith voice), I think there is an awful lot of handwringing over a guy that averaged 6 points, 3 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 20 minutes per game. Should he have been getting more than 20 minutes per game? Probably. But that's also not token minutes. His per-40 stats really aren't all that different from Joe's:

Kadary Per-40:
12.0 ppg, 5.8 apg, 5.0 rpg, 3.1 spg, 33% from 3, 45% from the field

Joe Per-40:
14.1 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 spg 33% from 3, 36% from the field (yeah that last part is bad)

We'll see where he ends up transferring to, but the track record of guys transferring out of Syracuse over the past 20+ years is pretty dismal. Sure, you can argue that he's one of the most talented out of that bunch, but he better do his research to land in a really good situation. If he truly wants to go somewhere that gives him a ton of freedom on offense to do his own thing (presumably at 35+ minutes per game), then I'm just going to assume that won't be at a P5 school.

I haven't seen this answer offered yet...I'm not even sure if it applies...

Do you think JB and JG's parents became friendly during BB and JG's time as teammates with the Rocks??? Thus, maybe JB told parents he would "take care" of Joe??

From personal experience as a coach, I liked certain kids and parents better than others. I did show some favouritism...just human nature.

Don't attack...just throwing this out there.

That's a lot of anecdotal evidence. I'm super impressed.

I think reasonable people can agree that there's a case that he was used improperly. I can see it. I'm nodding in the direction of the narrative and don't think it's crazy.

I also think there's a case that JB had a plan to get him to where he needed to be and him coming off the bench gradually, having handcuffs on when to shoot the 3 (both have historical evidence in support) was a part of the plan. The thing that drives me nuts is that there is zero room in your take to allow this possibility.

I've yet to read a plausible reason *why* JB would play Joe over Kadary. It's always "playing favorites" or that he's stubborn or he doesn't understand the stats like our message board fans. I think that's nonsense.
Maybe the narrative of “what the hell is this guy talking about/doing here?” was fueled by his “Kadary is out of shape, can’t play more than 20 minutes, can’t shoot, isn’t as good on defense as Joe, +/- from one game to get Pat/5’2 reporter” nonsense comments that he made all season long?

I was shocked when I read those quotes from Kadary.

I have never heard of a player leaving the Syracuse basketball program because he needed more freedom. I think it is general knowledge that JB gives his players a lot more freedom than almost any coach at the college level.

Not sure if Kadary is naive, doesn't understand how coaches operate at this level or just said something that he thought would sound good (where the real reason he is leaving is playing time).

The troubling thing to me is that Kadary and JB apparently had a disagreement about how much he shot the ball.

As the season progressed, Kadary looked for his shot a lot more. The last 10 games or so he played, his assist totals dropped dramatically.

I asked this question before. Why? At this point, I wonder if he had decided by that point to leave and focused on scoring so he would be more attractive to other schools.

SOME players have more freedom in the offense.

There is no way that any PG would be more featured with freedom here than at UK, for instance. None.

He isn't naive. He was behind someone worse than him. That kid ahead of him also had more freedom than he had.

I would wager that Kadary shot more at the end because he was over it all.

There are MUCH better situations for Kadary.

I really like Kadary as a player. He has some flaws in his game (including motor, which isn't always easy to fix), but he's a freshman who can certainly improve. I do think he's a better option at PG than Joe and the minutes probably should have been reflected as such.

However (Stephen A. Smith voice), I think there is an awful lot of handwringing over a guy that averaged 6 points, 3 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 20 minutes per game. Should he have been getting more than 20 minutes per game? Probably. But that's also not token minutes. His per-40 stats really aren't all that different from Joe's:

Kadary Per-40:
12.0 ppg, 5.8 apg, 5.0 rpg, 3.1 spg, 33% from 3, 45% from the field

Joe Per-40:
14.1 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 spg 33% from 3, 36% from the field (yeah that last part is bad)

We'll see where he ends up transferring to, but the track record of guys transferring out of Syracuse over the past 20+ years is pretty dismal. Sure, you can argue that he's one of the most talented out of that bunch, but he better do his research to land in a really good situation. If he truly wants to go somewhere that gives him a ton of freedom on offense to do his own thing (presumably at 35+ minutes per game), then I'm just going to assume that won't be at a P5 school.

Now do defensive numbers and advanced plus/minus numbers.
They. Weren’t. Close.

the team was better with Kadary in the floor this year.
again, it wasn’t close.

I have never heard of a player leaving the Syracuse basketball program because he needed more freedom. I think it is general knowledge that JB gives his players a lot more freedom than almost any coach at the college level.

Not sure if Kadary is naive, doesn't understand how coaches operate at this level or just said something that he thought would sound good (where the real reason he is leaving is playing time).

The troubling thing to me is that Kadary and JB apparently had a disagreement about how much he shot the ball.

JB has roles he wants his players to fill. And early on, he did not want KR hoisting 3s. Much like last year he did not want QG hoisting 3s. And if the player does it (and it's not successful) they will get pulled. It's a pretty effective method to get the point across.

But JB also has a pretty extensive history of loosening the reigns as the player gets seniority.

I hope there is a possibility that KR could reconsider. He adds a lot to SU's lineup.

he shot a grand total of 11 times in the last 4 games.
he was passing way too much vs Houston.

The house organ might want to try a different narative,

LOL, I'm done with this thread. But by all means, keep convincing yourself that Kadary wasn't that good, and that this is a blessing in disguise.
I was the first one saying “Goodine and Washington aren’t good” last year.

But they actually weren’t good. I wasn’t trying to irrationally defend every move Boeheim makes, I was just calling it what it was.

This is something else.

Technically he still can come back just because he entered the portal.

Not sure that’ll be the case with him, although it sounds like his only option is Florida State but things change quickly.

wish him well, if he changes his mind and decides to stay, then great for us. But really really doubt that happens
Demand will be high for him (lot of Kadary fan boys out there) - he's wont be back.

I was the first one saying “Goodine and Washington aren’t good” last year.

But they actually weren’t good. I wasn’t trying to irrationally defend every move Boeheim makes, I was just calling it what it was.

This is something else.

...and we’re being told to move on.

I’M TRYING...but people keep saying just complete nonsense. Let’s dead it. We lost a great player. Kadary was better than Joe this year, he should have started.

The End, let’s move on

...and we’re being told to move on.

I’M TRYING...but people keep saying just complete nonsense. Let’s dead it. We lost a great player. Kadary was better than Joe this year, he should have started.

The End, let’s move on

At this point I'm just waiting for someone to accuse him of robbing Student's Choice Market.

Just so the people in the back see this since no one that is defending JB will tell me what their guess is at how many D1 coaches would pick Kadary or Joe... Let's just run this back?

From March 27th:

What about head to head with Kadary and Joe (I already posted):

Category: Kadary / Joe
PER: 18.4 / 13.6
TS%: .527 / .484
eFG%: .478 / .453
WS/40: .128 / .078
OBPM: 1.7 / 0.8
DBPM: 4.6 / 1.5
BPM: 6.2 / 2.3

More traditional shooting percentage stats:
FG%: .453 / .357
2PT%: .475 / .389
3PT%: .333 / .333

Kadary should have started.
Kadary should have had the freedom to shoot.
Kadary should not have been trashed in the media multiple times by his coach.

Happy to move on, but we aren't going to kick this kid on the way out.

he shot a grand total of 11 times in the last 4 games.
he was passing way too much vs Houston.

The house organ might want to try a different narative,
His assists totals trended down dramatically towards the end of the season.

He shot 12 times in the last 4 games. If you want to be taken seriously, at least learn to count.

If he was passing way too much against Houston, how is it that he only had 1 assist in 23 minutes of play?

Lastly, narative is not a word. I think you were trying to use the word narrative.

Though it makes no sense here. Like the rest of your post.

narrative definition (for future reference):

a spoken or written account of connected events; a story.

He shot 12 times in the last 4 games. If you want to be taken seriously, at least learn to count.

If he was passing way too much against Houston, how is it that he only had 1 assist in 23 minutes of play?

Lastly, narative is not a word. I think you were trying to use the word narrative.

Do you think Kadary is better than Joe Girard at PG?

And let's be real. Kadary's assist numbers were partially kept down by frequent missed shots from teammates.

Goodness, with everything being said about Kadary's motor, fitness, coachability, etc. I sure hope no recruits or recruit parents read this board.

Hard to get assists when the ball doesn’t go in the basket - in the case of Houston.

[

This is sad, man. I type on an iPad while working and was off by 1 shot. No reason to discuss any further with you.

I hope you enjoy the drinks with the Girard family this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom