Kaleb in the lane | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb in the lane

Cuse_1999

2nd String
What percentage of Kaleb's shots in the lane have been blocked? Got to be close to 50%. That kid has a long way to go

He was an absolute mess tonight. No other way around that one. That fast break where he fell to his knees all by himself is the perfect embodiment of his game tonight. Just not ready for the prime time.

What percentage of Kaleb's shots in the lane have been blocked? Got to be close to 50%. That kid has a long way to go
I'd love to disagree but I can't. Thought I saw some things in him in earlier games that said he could be a difference making point down the road a bit. Since the BC game, he really looks like he doesn't belong at this high a level. Count me really disappointed.

I am surprised Kaleb's offensive game is so poor. From the scouting reports I thought he would be a pretty good mid range shooter and scorer. He isn't. Bigger problem is he does not have the instincts of a PG. He rarely penetrates and creates shots for others. That is not something that is easy to develop. You have it or you don't. His defense is just plain bad. I expect he will get better at knowing the rotations and where he is supposed to be. Other freshmen have had problems learning it too. But it's disappointing he still is out of position so much at the end of the season. For someone with good athleticism he is very poor at staying in front of ball handlers and preventing penetration into the lane. His defense in marking 3 pt shooters and closing is also very poor. That is why he keeps getting yanked. Duke is just the kind of team that would capitalize on his defensive weaknesses. I expect him to improve some next season but he has such a long way to go that it's really worrisome.

I am surprised Kaleb's offensive game is so poor. From the scouting reports I thought he would be a pretty good mid range shooter and scorer. He isn't. Bigger problem is he does not have the instincts of a PG. He rarely penetrates and creates shots for others. That is not something that is easy to develop. You have it or you don't. His defense is just plain bad. I expect he will get better at knowing the rotations and where he is supposed to be. Other freshmen have had problems learning it too. But it's disappointing he still is out of position so much at the end of the season. For someone with good athleticism he is very poor at staying in front of ball handlers and preventing penetration into the lane. His defense in marking 3 pt shooters and closing is also very poor. That is why he keeps getting yanked. Duke is just the kind of team that would capitalize on his defensive weaknesses. I expect him to improve some next season but he has such a long way to go that it's really worrisome.

Couldn't agree more. Kaleb clearly appears to be the typical program type player that really wouldn't/shouldn't get playing time of significance until his junior year had things played out differently.

Hard to know if he has the skills but not the confidence level he needs or if he just doesn't have a PG's makeup.
Definately agree with comments that right now, the game seems too fast for him.
You would think that by this time in the year he would be looking much more comfortable than he does.

I don't generally like being negative our guys (what's the point?).

But with kaleb people talk about next year and I'm stuck with wondering what they see. Usually a player has bright side with down moments but you "see" some potential that could translate in future years. With KJ I'm not sure I see anything at all. I hope it comes together for him.

He was an absolute mess tonight. No other way around that one. That fast break where he fell to his knees all by himself is the perfect embodiment of his game tonight. Just not ready for the prime time.
When he got in the fastbreak, my first thought was "he's gonna mess this up"...and he did, then of course Cooney blows the lay up.

When we've been at our best the past 5 years, it's because we get out in transition. Scoop, Waiters, Triche, MCW and even Ennis (when he chose to) all excelled in the fast break; I can't remember a worse "transition" backcourt for us in a long time. Cooney just isn't a strong finisher and doesn't really have vision, and Kaleb has been horrific in fast break situations.

I do agree with most of what has been said above but when the season is over he will have time to reflect and work on his game and hit the weight room. This whole team with the exception of XMAS will be back together and become much more cohesive by next year. He may not even start ( could be G) but to think he won't improve greatly is very improbable. His stroke is actually good and he can knock down his free throws but he does lack confidence for sure. I am pretty sure we will see a very new Kaleb Joseph next season he just seems very nervous this year.

I do agree with most of what has been said above but when the season is over he will have time to reflect and work on his game and hit the weight room. This whole team with the exception of XMAS will be back together and become much more cohesive by next year. He may not even start ( could be G) but to think he won't improve greatly is very improbable. His stroke is actually good and he can knock down his free throws but he does lack confidence for sure. I am pretty sure we will see a very new Kaleb Joseph next season he just seems very nervous this year.
8YynM8k0IcVBVuaNuVSidqmLSzpOIxDS3OeAUCFAftT8FHn7CUAm9lRaOghErEIjLN9IpAm1x2MxcxZkMKFbV_zG5O1z95g4mJKjyBb7h151D66Nc9of=s0-d-e1-ft

Very very nervous!

That play was the epitome of the game being too fast for him right now. It's disappointing that it's still like that with the season basically being over.

Boeheim said the other night that they didn't think Joseph would have such a difficult time adjusting to the college game.

I admit I'm surprised as well, particularly on the offensive end. The things he did well at Cushing - getting in the lane, scoring and running the break - haven't been evident this year.

I can't recall a player who has had so much trouble transitioning to college after having a successful prep career.

JB said he needs to get stronger. But it seems more than that.

He's playing with no confidence.

Boeheim said the other night that they didn't think Joseph would have such a difficult time adjusting to the college game.

I admit I'm surprised as well, particularly on the offensive end. The things he did well at Cushing - getting in the lane, scoring and running the break - haven't been evident this year.

I can't recall a player who has had so much trouble transitioning to college after having a successful prep career.

JB said he needs to get stronger. But it seems more than that.

He's playing with no confidence.

The thing is he looked ok very early on in the year -- then something happened and he appears to be shellshocked out there. He has a lot of work to do in offseason but I'm confident he will get there.

Couldn't agree more. Kaleb clearly appears to be the typical program type player that really wouldn't/shouldn't get playing time of significance until his junior year had things played out differently.

Any of you guys remember Z as a junior? A disaster.

KJ is young. He'll improve. He was not brought in with the expectation of having to contribute immediately.

This thread is not complete without :

vWpWBUa.gif

Really, really, really, really wish Cooney had given that to someone else inside there. He had two much bigger guys near him who could have easily made that basket. Awful to come away with nothing there.

And all Kaleb had to do was stop and hand the ball to G for the dunk. That's it. What was going through his mind?

Yes it was and I was surprised no one said it was. The ball clearly hit the backboard.

It had no chance of going in. I don't believe it ever got over the cylinder which is probably the main reason they didn't count it.

Yes it was and I was surprised no one said it was. The ball clearly hit the backboard.

The only goaltend they call was in the second half when the ball was off the rim and it would have been two points for us.

The only goaltend they call was in the second half when the ball was off the rim and it would have been two points for us.

That one looked good to me as well. Should have been 2 for BJ, who did a great job waiting until the ball came off the rim. Terrible call.

That one looked good to me as well. Should have been 2 for BJ, who did a great job waiting until the ball came off the rim. Terrible call.
Anticipation call. Much like the one with 10 seconds to go in Cameron last year. The one made by Tony Greene. Anybody remember?

CuseFaninVT said:
It had no chance of going in. I don't believe it ever got over the cylinder which is probably the main reason they didn't count it.
ball looked over the cylinder to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom