Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton

Well Kaleb's best game was at Villanova so he will get to play them again.

This destination would suggest that Kaleb just wasn't a fit as much as he was out of his league.
Transferring to a P6 league suggests this kid has upside. JB just lost confidence in this kid.

Good luck to Kaleb Joseph and I hope we can get a decent replacement.

Well Kaleb's best game was at Villanova so he will get to play them again.

This destination would suggest that Kaleb just wasn't a fit as much as he was out of his league.
Transferring to a P6 league suggests this kid has upside. JB just lost confidence in this kid.

Good luck to Kaleb Joseph and I hope we can get a decent replacement.

I think Creighton is gambling that he can live up to his potential after a year of sitting out. Also, Creighton lost out on a transfer from Sacred Heart who committed to Cincinnati about an hour before Joseph committed. Don't want to speculate too much, but the timing tells me Joseph was option B.

It's an interesting move because Creighton's coach is Greg McDermott, who was the head coach at Iowa St. when Wes Johnson transferred to SU.

From what I remember, Johnson's decision caught McDermott by surprise, but he had nothing but praise for Wes so Boeheim had no problem accepting him.

Wes obviously thrived here, so if you connect some dots, I'm thinking JB gave Kaleb a positive recommendation when Creighton showed interest in him.

Also, Creighton's leading scorer this year was a PG who transferred from Boston U (Maurice Watson). He has one more year left so McDermott might be looking for Joseph to take over when Watson leaves.

If you had to go to SU to be a fan of the team they'd draw about 500 people a game. If there is any team in college basketball that relies on the city they reside as much as Syracuse I'd be shocked.
Omaha?

Good luck to KJ... problem is, I think he may be playing 3rd fiddle at Creighton - they have the kid (#10, forget his name) that was a stud for them this year and then they're bringing in a stud xfr guard from somewhere else too... I suppose Kaleb could beat out that other transfer, but from what I was reading that other kid is regarded as one of the top xfrs in the country (will look for details on that and post if I can find)

agreed, I find Louisville the same way as well
Only been to Louisville once, but I can see some similarities. I used to work very closely with the school districts in Omaha and Lincoln. When I found out about that assignment I was bummed, but it became my favorite business trip destination and I was out there every 2 or 3 months or so. Good people, nice city. Solid cheese steak place called Pepper Jax.

Good luck to KJ... problem is, I think he may be playing 3rd fiddle at Creighton - they have the kid (#10, forget his name) that was a stud for them this year and then they're bringing in a stud xfr guard from somewhere else too... I suppose Kaleb could beat out that other transfer, but from what I was reading that other kid is regarded as one of the top xfrs in the country (will look for details on that and post if I can find)
Here it is, from CBS:
Marcus Foster, G, Creighton: All coaches say that a transfer is their best player when he's in his redshirt year, but when Greg McDermott did that the past year about Foster it was beyond believable. The 6-foot-3 guard averaged in double-figures in each of his two years at Kansas State and has the chops to be a first-team All-Big East player. Look for Foster and Maurice Watson to potentially form the most explosive backcourt in their conference and bring the Bluejays back to the NCAA Tournament.

This came out of nowhere this morning for Creighton fans I will tell you that. I am very excited to have him though after watching him start freshman year.

Sad thing is the Omaha paper this morning still does not have a story on it yet and Creighton fans still barely know. I found out through Syracuse.com and still haven't seen the Creighton beat writer comment on it. For top 10 attendance Creighton has the worst local coverage mainly because of a below .500 football team down the road.

Perfect fit for KJ

Lower level school who is a borderline NCAA tourney team most years

It's a good conference. Great is overselling it.

We disagree. I think it is to NCAA basketball's credit that it has some strong conferences outside of the the P5, and the Big East is easily the best of them. What the Catholic schools have done is really admirable. They have created a conference that has historically great teams, passionate fan bases, balance, covers some major markets, and has a home and away schedule for all of its members unlike the nightmare of scheduling a 15 or 16 team league.

pearl31 said:
Here it is, from CBS: Marcus Foster, G, Creighton: All coaches say that a transfer is their best player when he's in his redshirt year, but when Greg McDermott did that the past year about Foster it was beyond believable. The 6-foot-3 guard averaged in double-figures in each of his two years at Kansas State and has the chops to be a first-team All-Big East player. Look for Foster and Maurice Watson to potentially form the most explosive backcourt in their conference and bring the Bluejays back to the NCAA Tournament.

When Kaleb is eligible Watson will be gone and foster will have 1 year left. Foster and Kaleb might play together like Foster and Watson will.

When Kaleb is eligible Watson will be gone and foster will have 1 year left. Foster and Kaleb might play together like Foster and Watson will.
yep, good catch - I was spacing out that Kaleb has to sit a year

We disagree. I think it is to NCAA basketball's credit that it has some strong conferences outside of the the P5, and the Big East is easily the best of them. What the Catholic schools have done is really admirable. They have created a conference that has historically great teams, passionate fan bases, balance, covers some major markets, and has a home and away schedule for all of its members unlike the nightmare of scheduling a 15 or 16 team league.

It's "strong" to your point. But compared to the ACC, it's just not even close. Outside of this year's Villanova run, the conference's performance in the NCAA tournament has been awful. You can't be "great" without results to back it up. It's a group of smaller schools that lack resources and options, and the Big East brand is giving the conference a historical cache that it hasn't earned.

Omaha?
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom