Kevin Durant | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Durant

I don't think there's any human being that's ever lived that's more gifted at scoring the basketball than Durant.

I don't think there's any human being that's ever lived that's more gifted at scoring the basketball than Durant.

Yep. I still marvel at this guy's handle as well.

I'd still easily go with MJ over Durant in terms of scoring ability, but to each their own.

Melancer46 said:
I'd still easily go with MJ over Durant in terms of scoring ability, but to each their own.

Easily? Jordan did only shoot around 32% beyond the arc for his career. Jordan was one of the best players of all time and a great scorer but it's extremely debatable.

I would too but for me it's his size and skillset which is truly unique that puts him in the discussion at least for me. 6'9 or 6'10 with those skills and speed.

How can you not like this guy? Total class act. What a great MVP acceptance speech, which was 99% about everyone but himself.

If he ever develops a low post game, he may be legitimately unstoppable on offense. His natural ability to put the ball in the net is amazing.

I'd still give the award to LeBron, but I can understand why it went to KD. Congrats to him.

I think MJ is clearly the greatest player of all-time, but if we're talking strictly scoring ability, I think Durant's size/length/shooting ability make him the most difficult defensive matchup ever. And he's about 4 years away from entering his prime.

Probably cause he whines for every foul call even though he shoots a million free throws a game. And then he stands in the corner while the Grizzlies beat down his team and lets Westbrook take all the blame.

Easily? Jordan did only shoot around 32% beyond the arc for his career. Jordan was one of the best players of all time and a great scorer but it's extremely debatable.

Jordan was probably the best mid-range shooter of all-time, and he was a better finisher, post-scorer, and better at working off the ball than Durant. The only thing Durant really has on Jordan is 3 point shooting.

But as others have said, Durant still has a ways to go, and I expect that he'll eventually add a post-game to his repertoire and get stronger coming off of screens.

Jordan was probably the best mid-range shooter of all-time, and he was a better finisher, post-scorer, and better at working off the ball than Durant. The only thing Durant really has on Jordan is 3 point shooting.

But as others have said, Durant still has a ways to go, and I expect that he'll eventually add a post-game to his repertoire and get stronger coming off of screens.
Jordan's mid-range game was extremely underrated. People of course focus on the drives and dunks, but he did a huge amount of damage with short jumpers and post-ups.

Jordan's mid-range game was extremely underrated. People of course focus on the drives and dunks, but he did a huge amount of damage with short jumpers and post-ups.

No question but Durant's is underrated as well. I would like to see some Synergy stats and tracking of his FGs. I've seen him post up and make mid-range shots even floaters. He may not be prolific in these areas but they are certainly part of his arsenal. He's not just making threes and dunks, lol.

How can you not like this guy? Total class act. What a great MVP acceptance speech, which was 99% about everyone but himself.

I became a fan of his watching the 2010 Basketball World Championships. I didn't want to like him because of all of the Carmelo comparisons from college, but it was impossible not to. He manages being a fierce competitor as well as a nice guy as well as any athlete I have seen.

No question but Durant's is underrated as well. I would like to see some Synergy stats and tracking of his FGs. I've seen him post up and make mid-range shots even floaters. He may not be prolific in these areas but they are certainly part of his arsenal. He's not just making threes and dunks, lol.

Can't find a full 2013-14 chart, but here's his 2012-13 from Kirk Goldsberry at Grantland.

grant_e_hexcolor_115211.jpg

Didn't matter. He knew he wasn't a three point shooter, so he took the shots he wanted and almost always was able to get where he wanted to on the floor to get his shot. And he did it shooting nearly 50% from the field during the hand check era. FWIW his career fg% is better than Durant's.

I don't say that because I dislike Durant. He's probably my favorite player in the league right now.

I am a littlle young, but was Jordan as gifted from the mid-range when he was 25 as he was later? I feel like a lot of that stuff comes later.

At Durant's size, to be as agile as he is; almost not fair. If my life depended on one guy scorign a basket for me (and he had to score, no passing for a score), my first pick would probably be Kareem for a sky hook. But Durant would probably be my #2 pick.

Didn't matter. He knew he wasn't a three point shooter, so he took the shots he wanted and almost always was able to get where he wanted to on the floor to get his shot. And that was during the hand check era. FWIW his career fg% is better than Durant's.

Part of that is because he didn't take 3's though. Durant has a career 60% true shooting, Jordan at 57%. Hard to compare the 2 since Durant is mid career, but Jordan basically topped out at 60-61%, durant has been at 64% the last 2 years.

I am a littlle young, but was Jordan as gifted from the mid-range when he was 25 as he was later? I feel like a lot of that stuff comes later.
It did, especially his turnaround.

It did, especially his turnaround.

Yeah I was born in 84, so the Jordan I remember is more the unstoppable turnaround/fallaway jumper as opposed to all the great dunks/drives.

Can't find a full 2013-14 chart, but here's his 2012-13 from Kirk Goldsberry at Grantland.

grant_e_hexcolor_115211.jpg
So basically, on average the worst you can force him in to is being just slightly more efficient compared to other NBA players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom