Kevin Durant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Durant

OttoinGrotto said:
So basically, on average the worst you can force him in to is being just slightly more efficient compared to other NBA players.

Yes.

Also with the career comparisons to MJ, obviously MJ is better, but durant's numbers are scaled down because a.) his rookie year, during which that chart above was a lot of blue/green, counts for more than it will in 10 years, obviously, and b.) durant is just entering his prime years, which is terrifying.

Don't think he'll be MJ ever, but when he retires, I bet he'll be closer than most would have thought.

That's silly.

You think that's silly? Look at Dirk.

dirk_1152.jpg

I am a littlle young, but was Jordan as gifted from the mid-range when he was 25 as he was later? I feel like a lot of that stuff comes later.

At Durant's size, to be as agile as he is; almost not fair. If my life depended on one guy scorign a basket for me (and he had to score, no passing for a score), my first pick would probably be Kareem for a sky hook. But Durant would probably be my #2 pick.

Part of that is because he didn't take 3's though. Durant has a career 60% true shooting, Jordan at 57%. Hard to compare the 2 since Durant is mid career, but Jordan basically topped out at 60-61%, durant has been at 64% the last 2 years.
He certainly wasn't as good midrange early in his career as he was later, but it was there by probably 27-28. I can't give Durant the edge simply because of his size and athletic ability. There were a few guys that were more athletic than Jordan during his era, but he was just better. Dominique Wilkins was bigger and probably a better a leaper, but he just wasn't quite as good. Jordan had a way of doing exactly what needed to be done when it needed to be done. During the second run of threepeats I remember when Rodman was either injured or suspended and Jordan went on a tear of double digit and near double digit rebounding games. He didn't need to do it when Rodman was there, but picked up the slack when he was out. During his ridiculous year in '87-88 he averages 35 ppg while winning defensive player of the year. Then he follows it up the next year with 32.5 ppg, 8 rpg, and 8 apg. He was simply the stud of studs.

I'll have to give you the advanced stat stuff, but you can't quite understand how dominant he was without having seen him. A coach saw fit to develop a defense specifically for him. I'll take Jordan shooting that last shot everyday and twice on sunday.

I've seen KD speak at Hillsong Church NYC. He might be the most likeable person ever.

This was a seriously epic MVP speech.
no doubt, that's the best sports related speech I've EVER seen. If that doesn't get one verklempt check your heart beat. Wow.

I think MJ is clearly the greatest player of all-time, but if we're talking strictly scoring ability, I think Durant's size/length/shooting ability make him the most difficult defensive matchup ever. And he's about 4 years away from entering his prime.
Speaking solely from a scoring standpoint - Wilt. And you can take that anyway you want. :rolleyes:

I don't think there's any human being that's ever lived that's more gifted at scoring the basketball than Durant.

And very few as truly humble.

You think that's silly? Look at Dirk.

dirk_1152.jpg
I own very few NBA jerseys (growing up in the middle of nowhere and basically not having a favorite NBA team until Carmelo came into the league will do that), but I've got a Dirk Mavericks jersey. Love watching him play the game and his release and shooting touch are absurd. I was so happy when he won a title. I think his and Tim Duncan's overall skillsets are diminished in this age of the highlight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom