Lack of a D1 point guard... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lack of a D1 point guard...

Because there’s this perception that JB chose to promote an unproven Gmac instead of doing a national search for a proven recruiter. He’s all in on Gerry, Red and griff and we still can’t recruit point guards or big men even when we have immediate playing time to sell.

I mean...I think that’s a “we’ll see”. They recruited Carey who lots of teams wanted. They recruited Goodine.

Washington. We’ll see:
In this instance, he's the one also coaching the guards. Let's see some progress on at least one front and I'll cut him some slack.

I don't want to derail the thread but I see the makeup of this staff and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is made uncomfortable by it. First thought that comes to mind is cronyism. Are these three the "best people" as our president likes to say? It's certainly more comfortable for Boeheim. These are guys absolutely loyal to him. But is it better for the program? And I know that it's been this way for a while but that seems to have also coincided with this stretch of mediocre regular seasons. There are no doubt other bigger reasons for this but this doesn't seem to be helping.

It was Hopkins, Red, and Gerry for awhile wasn’t it?

Murphy left around 2010-11 and Bernie a year(?) later? It’s not like the all SU staff is a new thing. We had that when we were rolling too.

I don't really want to bash him but there were a few games like this last year. Last year he had like themes in a game...there was the lob game at Duke, one of the games he missed like every front end of 1 and 1 and the falling on the ground game. He had higher high's last year but he couldn't get pulled and we also scored 50 points a game.

frank averaged 15ppg last year. this year hes uhhhhh, not.

Well Tyus is the best player on the team and he’s a guard so...

He's a better player than he was when he arrived, no doubt, but there are still lots of holes in his game as people on this board like to remind us all. Is Battle better because of coaching? Are his limitations strictly his own and beyond coaching?

He's a better player than he was when he arrived, no doubt, but there are still lots of holes in his game as people on this board like to remind us all. Is Battle better because of coaching? Are his limitations strictly his own and beyond coaching?

I don’t know. Tyus is a stud like I hoped he’d be. Boeheim is better than I thought he’d be at this point.

Jalen, I thought would be better to this point.

Frank...that’s kind of a complicated one.

I mean...I think that’s a “we’ll see”. They recruited Carey who lots of teams wanted. They recruited Goodine.
Carey may end up being a good role player if he sticks around. Goodine same thing. But we’re missing the higher end talent that complemented those types of players over the years. Personally the total inability to get quality big men and point guards over the past several years should be enough evidence to justify some staff changes.

At 6’5” Frank should be deflecting balls at top of zone, he should be grabbing rebounds and should be finishing above the rim and shooting over taller guards. Hate to rag on the guy and he has had a few good games but generally could live with BB and JC even with the turnovers

Washington. We’ll see:

It was Hopkins, Red, and Gerry for awhile wasn’t it?

Murphy left around 2010-11 and Bernie a year(?) later? It’s not like the all SU staff is a new thing. We had that when we were rolling too.

Go look at the rosters. Upperclassmen were key to those 30 and 28 win years. And since then, 23 wins has been the high point via two tourney runs. There's definitely been a drop-off since Murphy left. He was a heck of recruiter.

We've got a guy approaching his mid-70s as head coach who could retire at any time. We've got a program that has been stuck in the middle of the pack in conference for 6 years. We don't play an exciting brand of ball anymore. Murphy or Hop weren't the be all, end all. But given the above, we definitely can't afford any other weak links.

frank averaged 15ppg last year. this year hes uhhhhh, not.
I would hope he could on a team with three scorers. The team struggled to score 50 last year. Not hard to get his when he couldn’t get pulled and 2/3 of team had red light to score. He could score 15 this year if he didn’t get pulled. Just more options now when he struggles. Points don’t matter... He still makes the same mistakes he has in the past.

Hughes was terrible as well. He slipped on a wet spot on the floor. They are regressing at the wrong time.

Hughes didnt have a good game. I think what actually caused him to fall was clipping the back of his own leg when he was angling to go for the dunk.

The most natural point guard on the team is redshirting in Washington.
Hate to dismiss the kid without really giving him a chance, but i just don't see him as having the physicality to play at this level. He just seems 'slight.' In a game against strength like FlaState has, or in the games we've lost where PG play was really a primary culprit, is he really the answer? I can see him having the IQ, but physically, i'm seeing Bookworm Assassin Redux.

Carey hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game. This isnt high school. Dude needs to take advantage of the off season to improve.

Carey hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game. This isnt high school. Dude needs to take advantage of the off season to improve.

I'm looking for the good tonight, and I mean that sincerely. Part of that, for me at least, was remembering the people on here who thought he was going to come in here kicking butt and replace Frank at the start of the season. I'm not sure if you read the recruiting section but for those who dont, it is LOADED with humor...although often it takes time to arrive, even if it is an overwhelming torrent when it does. Then again, I was accused of a **ck move in there for trying to help, so I am not spotless. It's good fun, I recommend you check it it out if you can appreciate humor where you need to wait awhile for the punchline.

Threads like this are hilarious.

bleep, half the threads(if not more) on here are hilarious to me. I try to avoid mocking singular folks, because I care, but i LOVE mocking popular nattatives that are deserving. It's a matter of perspective, which even some of the "esteemed" people on here apparently dont appear to keep in mind(seriously, do you forget your egalitarian beliefs?) 100% of the time. Even someone like me needs to remind myself of that...Ive erased a lot of my own posts this season, after reconsideration, partly due to how stream of consciousness my narratives tend to be because of more honest than typical nature.

I was peaceful, but after what was done to me tonight for reasons I have no idea about, I am preparing to return to the warpath in clever ways where I cant be... why do people want to poke a bear who is trying his best to be less whatever than he used to be? I hate tapdancing, but I will do it if necessary, just to prove I can.

icann...isnt that some charge when reistering a website? it seems to stand out in my mind, but Im not exactly sober, atm.

Last edited:
Hughes didnt have a good game. I think what actually caused him to fall was clipping the back of his own leg when he was angling to go for the dunk.

swear to god if he makes that dunk and the four point swing doesnt occur, i think we win the game.

I like Frank, but I also know he has the occasional deer in the headlights game...

Tonight was one of those.

It’s more frequent than occasional. I’d say it’s more like every other game at this point.

Another no show game at PG and C. This team is schizo.

Back a month or two ago when Chukwu was having his minutes cut back and Dolezaj was getting the starts at center, I said it may be the right move in the short term, but the only chance this team has to compete in the long run is if Chukwu steps up and gets the lionshare of minutes at center. Same can pretty much be said for Frank now. It may be better now to give Buddy minutes, but in the long run this season we need Frank to come around if we are going to be a tourney team. Frank made some bad passes early on and has been a little lathargic compared to last year, but we need him on the court for his defense.

swear to god if he makes that dunk and the four point swing doesnt occur, i think we win the game.

Totally agree, that mistake seemed to knock us off the rails and we just couldnt fix it.

Last edited:
Back a month or two ago when Chukwu was having his minutes cut back and Dolezaj was getting the starts at center, I said it may be the right move in the short term, but the only chance this team has to compete in the long run is if Chukwu steps up and gets the lionshare of minutes at center. Same can pretty much be said for Frank now. It may be better now to give Buddy minutes, but in the long run this season we need Frank to come around if we are going to be a tourney team. Frank made some bad passes early on and has been a little lathargic compared to last year, but we need him on the court for his defense.

Frank can play muuucch better. This team can be good if we get frank playing well, since buddy is becoming a reliable sub. That should only help frank.

Frank was abysmal and Carey looks like an elementary kid Learning to drive for the first time. I dont know what's going on with him but hes regressed to the point where he doesn't look like a D1 player out there

It's as if Carey finds himself deep into ACC play with practically zero game experience in two months despite playing well, for a freshman, to start the season.

Weird

Goodine played point in AAU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him over Carey next year.

Hughes has a tendency to be very careless with the ball. 4 turnovers tonight and the one in the middle of that late 2nd half FSU run was a killer.

I was questioning Hughes's basketball IQ earlier in the year, but his awesome play for the last month shut me up.

Then last night at least three times Boeheim was calling for us to press while Hughes was jogging downcourt with his head in the clouds after a made basket.

He's an interesting player.

And yes, I can’t get too enthusiastic about my earlier praise for his D.

tumblr_m13ahbAD2m1rntezlo1_400.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom