LB Lee Kpogba Suspended | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LB Lee Kpogba Suspended

As soon as you treat any students differently for any reason, you open up an entirely new ball of legal implications for the school.
The student athletes get treated differently already.
Student athletes have a private dining area on South Campus that I and a lot of students I knew about. I wasn’t offended by that. Rumors I believe said they would have a chef there to prepare meals for players.

You think if a regular student did what Fab Melo did they would have been allowed to resubmit a paper?
They would have been kicked out of school for cheating.

Student athletes deserve more consideration. They should be punished for Covid party not suspended from school.

Assuming that is what this suspension is for.

A
Depending on the teacher, any SU student can resubmit a paper for extra credit.
Do you believe athletes and regular students get treated the same when dealing with penalties and violations on campus rules?
Covid I get a pandemic. I still would give them a break.

A

Do you believe athletes and regular students get treated the same when dealing with penalties and violations on campus rules?

I was a student back in the 80's.

The worst thing you could do was get drunk and assault an RA.

I think he got kicked out for a semester.

And he owed me money.

The student athletes get treated differently already.
Student athletes have a private dining area on South Campus that I and a lot of students I knew about. I wasn’t offended by that. Rumors I believe said they would have a chef there to prepare meals for players.

You think if a regular student did what Fab Melo did they would have been allowed to resubmit a paper?
They would have been kicked out of school for cheating.

Student athletes deserve more consideration. They should be punished for Covid party not suspended from school.

Assuming that is what this suspension is for.
Of course athletes get special things such as meals etc... But if you overtly had special disciplinary rules for specific portions of students, this COULD really get the school into a significant amount of legal issues.

Essentially, a student being allowed to resubmit a paper would fall under the prerogative of the instructor and their syllabus.

Depending on the teacher, any SU student can resubmit a paper for extra credit.
Each college at each university has varying rules, but very frequently even if a student complains up the chain about an instructor, typically all that can truly be done is for the higher ups to "recommend" that the instructor make alterations.

With that said, if it was egregious enough or common; then the institution could can the instructor at some point.

A

In theory, this opens up a huge set of problems for a school.

1. Let's just say a group of athletes who are of one demographic gets caught partying without masks. You give them a break since they're athletes.
  2. Another group of students who are not athletes, who are primarily comprised of a different demographic, are also caught partying without masks. You are harsher to these students because they are not athletes.
What do you think is going to happen?

Last edited:

1. Let's just say a group of athletes who are of one demographic gets caught partying without masks. You give them a break since they're athletes.
  2. Another group of students who are not athletes, who are primarily comprised of a different demographic, are also caught partying without masks. You are harsher to these students because they are not athletes.
I don't know. But doesn't it seem like tons of other schools that take football seriously would not think twice about doing so, and getting away with it?

And he owed me money.

The best thing you could do was get drunk WITH your RA.

Well, not the very best thing, but it definitely helped get them on your side so you could get away with lotsa other stuff.

No idea what caused the suspension. To me, Kpogba always looked like the best finisher and most physical LB whenever he was on the field. Always wondered, without any reasons to justify those thoughts, if there was off the field issues or knowing the playbook stuff that limited his opportunities more than talent in front of him.

Really hope the suspension is only temporarily "indefinite"

It was always puzzling why he didn’t play more. He was all over the place when he played.

No idea what caused the suspension. To me, Kpogba always looked like the best finisher and most physical LB whenever he was on the field. Always wondered, without any reasons to justify those thoughts, if there was off the field issues or knowing the playbook stuff that limited his opportunities more than talent in front of him.

Really hope the suspension is only temporarily "indefinite"

As fans we get excited because we see flashes in the game and we want more of that. We dont know what is going on behind the scenes that's preventing them from playing more. Some of the times they are the reasons you mentioned. Some have other reasons. I hope he can come back from this as well.

I would not be to concerned just yet. First off there is plenty of time between now and our first game. Lots of time for a player to "learn a lesson " and get the message. Second we don't have any confirmation for what this is even for yet do we? Also as some have mentioned "indefinitely " can ultimately translate to any amount of time and can be removed at any time at the discretion of the school or coach or whomever. If this happened in the 2nd week of August I would be concerned. The last week of February not so much.

groups of kids get treated all over campus differently.. you think if the super smart grad kids in some really big research program get caught they wouldnt get treated differently too.. The schools not gonna toss $50 million grant out the window cause a kid had a party.

The best thing you could do was get drunk WITH your RA.

Well, not the very best thing, but it definitely helped get them on your side so you could get away with lotsa other stuff.
Rob Edson was my RA. His direction to us was I don’t want to smell it, see it or hear it and he’d be good with us. I miss Rob

Last edited:
groups of kids get treated all over campus differently.. you think if the super smart grad kids in some really big research program get caught they wouldnt get treated differently too.. The schools not gonna toss $50 million grant out the window cause a kid had a party.
I am not aware of a situation where a grant would get tossed because of losing PhD students. $50 million or $50.

Last edited:
I am not aware of a situation where a grant would get tossed because of losing PhD students. $50 million or $50.
who would do the work if the kids were tossed? you can just throw other kids onto a multi yr project. you have time deadlines and all sorts of stuff to deal with.

On a positive note there is a big difference between an "indefinite suspension" and a dismissal from the program. I believe as long as young Mr. Kpogba adheres to whatever the suspension terms are he will be back playing football at Syracuse University hopefully before too long. Go Orange!!!!!!

who would do the work if the kids were tossed? you can just throw other kids onto a multi yr project. you have time deadlines and all sorts of stuff to deal with.
Grants don't have deadlines or deliverables. If they did, they'd be contracts. Plus, even 1 million dollar grants would have a small team of PhD students associated with them. Different agencies have different rules, but for the NSF this would be a "no cost extension".

And he owed me money.
That wasn't the worst thing you could do. Some kid in my dorm broke into the former mayor's crypt, stole his head, and boiled it in the lounge kitchenette. He got kicked out for life.

Grants don't have deadlines or deliverables. If they did, they'd be contracts. Plus, even 1 million dollar grants would have a small team of PhD students associated with them. Different agencies have different rules, but for the NSF this would be a "no cost extension".
Grants have deadlines too. even an NSF would not be a simple extension question.. It really depends on the grant and the research. Losing people could default on the grant because it could be considered a change of employee issue. The grant might be defaulted, depending on the school it may be very hard to replace kids and it wont just happen over night. if you are doing research for something like the mars rover you cant just say hold on give me another yr.,

Just make these kids do some community service if it’s all about the Covid party.
I get we have to take it seriously but these
Players bring millions to the university in TV revenue they deserve a break.

If this about the Covid party. If he did something else then he gets what he deserves.
What do the people he meets and catch covid from get? Do they get a break to? These kids get plenty of breaks. Risking other peoples health shouldn't be one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom