Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I think there might be another point that is being over looked here and it is building a fan base. When you recruit local kids, develop relationships with HS coaches and their players you are also developing fans for the program. So what is the harm in taking one kid in one class. In taking the chance at opening the flood gates to a school that has lots of talent...in your own backyard where you need to increase your fanbase. Just because it hasn't worked that way in the past doesn't mean things can't or won't be different in the future. Some of you would never survive in sales.
Absolutely right. I cant believe people think we should give up on conncecting with kids, coaches and parents in their community and own state. No matter how many top recruits dont come to SU. You still have to establish and maintain relationships in your own territory. You dont quit.

It's not going out of your way. It's taking one kid from a school that is known to produce talent. It is taking a kid from your own backyard where his coaches, team mates, friends, family all reside...fans. The majority of the SU alums don't stay in NY State. If you don't develop relationships within NY just because SU is winning that doesn't necessarily translate to growing fans. They could go be fans of Buffalo instead...they recruit NY.

I don't mean out of your way in a geographical sense but it seems that these NYS coaches want a little more for lack of a better word "ass kissing" than out of state programs do. Maybe that is just my perception or maybe I am taking what I am hearing the wrong way.

If the NYS HS coaches and programs want SU's current coaching staff to make up for perceived past slights from other previous coaching staffs instead of starting them out with a clean slate then I think they are being ridiculous. Period.

I understand what you and Money are saying - building relationships by taking chances on less heralded decent players earns trust.

But I'd wager Tristan's net worth on this:

Barbers could take fliers on two borderline AQ recruits each year for the next 3 years and SU would still not sniff the big time players they produce.

AQ has a reputation to maintain regarding their program. They have more incentive to push their players to national powers (ND, PSU) than help rebuilding SU.

There's no cache to recruiting local middle school prospects in Rochester telling kids, "Come to Aquinas, our top kids went to SU!"
I dont think he should take fliers. Take kids that can develop and contribute. Riggins 6'2 215. 4.6 40. He's not a scrub. With a new staff coming in, honoring his commitment would have been a perfect time to improve the bad relationships between the two. Instead they stronged arm him more than any other decommitted prospect. Its that really a good way to start a relationship with locals?

I don't mean out of your way in a geographical sense but it seems that these NYS coaches want a little more for lack of a better word "ass kissing" than out of state programs do. Maybe that is just my perception or maybe I am taking what I am hearing the wrong way.

If the NYS HS coaches and programs want SU's current coaching staff to make up for perceived past slights from other previous coaching staffs instead of starting them out with a clean slate then I think they are being ridiculous. Period.
Why does it seem like ass kissing. Do you know for sure? Have you sat in meetings? gone to clinics and conferences? NY coaches are some of the hardest working and prideful coaches Ive seen. They dont want anything given to them.

Absolutely right. I cant believe people think we should give up on conncecting with kids, coaches and parents in their community and own state. No matter how many top recruits dont come to SU. You still have to establish and maintain relationships in your own territory. You dont quit.

Why are the NYS HS coaches expectations of SU different than what they are for other schools? ND, PSU, OSU, etc. can swoop in with basically no or very minimal relationship and take the top flight kids but SU has to bide it's time and go slow and still settle for 2nd and 3rd tier kids and maybe on the off chance we might just maybe have an opportunity to get the best kid at a school like Aquinas.

Why is that, just asking?

Not saying we should quit, just thinking it isn't a level playing field if that is the feeling of in state coaches. Funny thing is that all they are basing their opinions and feeling on is previous coaching staffs.

I think your perception is incorrect. Building any relationship takes time. Why do you think the current staff is recruiting the Midwest and Fl hard? Because that is where they have their established relationships. Marrone and Shafer both worked hard at establishing good relationships with the NY state programs. I just think it was foolish for this staff not to take one kid and possibly close the door on all the good work that has been done.

Why does it seem like ass kissing. Do you know for sure? Have you sat in meetings? gone to clinics and conferences? NY coaches are some of the hardest working and prideful coaches Ive seen. They dont want anything given to them.

That's why I said "seems like" because I am not in meetings. I didn't say they want anything given to them but it "seems" as though they expect more from SU because we are in state than other schools that can just come in periodically every few years and take the best in state talent.

Maybe I am wrong...

Why are the NYS HS coaches expectations of SU different than what they are for other schools? ND, PSU, OSU, etc. can swoop in with basically no or very minimal relationship and take the top flight kids but SU has to bide it's time and go slow and still settle for 2nd and 3rd tier kids and maybe on the off chance we might just maybe have an opportunity to get the best kid at a school like Aquinas.

Not saying we should quit, just thinking it isn't a level playing field if that is the feeling of in state coaches. Funny thing is that all they are basing their opinions and feeling on is previous coaching staffs.
Whats makes you think this doesnt go on in those states? lol its worse there. The HS coaches in those states really think the state schools owe them something. Ive seen it. I go to Pittsburgh Glazier clinic every year. Its bad there. The College coaches in those states recruit kids all the time that are mariginal or developmental. They know how it works. The difference is they have better overall talent in those states so its harder to find the mariginal recruits but every roster has them. Believe me.

I've never understood why SU fans get bent out of shape and seemingly take it personally when a team that has basically stunk for 15 years has a hard time keeping the local blue chippers at home. Not only has an entire generation of NYS ballers never seen a really good SU football team, but heck If I'm a top recruit at a Catholic school like AQ, and ND comes calling with a full ride I'm sure as heck going to strongly consider it over SU. As a Catholic myself that fact alone would have made the offer almost irresistible. Who wouldn't want to play in front of a packed house (as opposed to the 1/2 empty Dome) every game on tv, top notch academics (superior to SU?), national alumni network that borders on cult like, and top shelf facilities. None of this is a slight on SU but the overall football experience at SU is inferior to that of schools like Notre Dame. This has always been the case and is not going to change. We have not been the place to be since McNabb/Freeney left and even then we weren't a recruiting destination. In a large part, this is what has me excited about Babers and his offensive scheme- I believe he has a great chance to make SU an exciting place to play again and give us an opportunity to get back on track. If what Money said about Riggins' breakup with SU was handled as poorly as he suggests, then that is very disappointing indeed.

I think your perception is incorrect. Building any relationship takes time. Why do you think the current staff is recruiting the Midwest and Fl hard? Because that is where they have their established relationships. Marrone and Shafer both worked hard at establishing good relationships with the NY state programs. I just think it was foolish for this staff not to take one kid and possibly close the door on all the good work that has been done.

How long did ND have a relationship with the HS coach where Ishaq came from, how long did ND have to cultivate a relationship with Aquinas to get Jarron Jones? Have they ever taken a kid from Aquinas before?

Just asking questions...

What about Miami taking the RB from Buffalo, how long was that relationship cultivated with the HS coach? Have they come back to look at any other kids?

That's why I said "seems like" because I am not in meetings. I didn't say they want anything given to them but it "seems" as though they expect more from SU because we are in state than other schools that can just come in periodically every few years and take the best in state talent.

Maybe I am wrong...
This happens in every state. Im sure Alabama has local kids on the roster that they might have recruited over. Knowing the kid would never play a meaningful down for them.

How long did ND have a relationship with the HS coach where Ishaq came from, how long did ND have to cultivate a relationship with Aquinas to get Jarron Jones? Have they ever taken a kid from Aquinas before?

Just asking questions...

What about Miami taking the RB from Buffalo, how long was that relationship cultivated with the HS coach? Have they come back to look at any other kids?
Um those programs win

I dont think he should take fliers. Take kids that can develop and contribute. Riggins 6'2 215. 4.6 40. He's not a scrub. With a new staff coming in, honoring his commitment would have been a perfect time to improve the bad relationships between the two. Instead they stronged arm him more than any other decommitted prospect. Its that really a good way to start a relationship with locals?

I agree with you regarding Riggins - he's not the prospect that should trigger this "how much effort should be spent recruiting NY kids" debate.

He's a good example of the type of kid you and Fin are talking about - excellent measurables that could blossom into a strong contributor.

I also advocated for Dino's staff to show a little "belief without evidence" upthread.

I'm curious - what do you mean by "the bad relationship between the two"? SU & AQ?

What are you talking about? ND and PSU have built that relationship over 30 years with schools in WNY, they don't just swoop in like you are intimating. Also, those schools have a brand and cache greater than Syracuse both historically and currently so when a player has the chance to go to PSU and they are from a high school that has a long relationship and trust with sending players there, then yeah they have a good chance to go there. It doesn't mean we turn our noses up at them spitefully like they owe us because we are in state.

Syracuse University is a private school that caters to a population that is not regional for either students or alumni. Players do not grow up thinking of Syracuse and NYS pride like you think they should. We recently started the branding campaign of NY's college team but a few years of putting a sign at Yankee stadium isn't going to change the perception of the entire state.

Doing more things like holding practices in WNY, Albany, and LI will help to change perceptions. Having clinics for HS coaches will change perceptions. Offering a raw or under recruited kid in-state every once in awhile when we offer borderline kids near the signing day deadline every year anyways is not a problem.

The whole notion of some posters here, "screw them they don't send us their best players" is ridiculous. The schools in WNY don't strong arm their best players to attending PSU or ND either, they just assist the students in determining what their best offer/opportunity is and part of that is based on their relationship with the coaching staff and past dealings with the school. This is mostly on the kids opinions of schools and their relationships with the coaches they meet.

Don't scrap the ground work that's been done. Make it better.

I agree with you regarding Riggins - he's not the prospect that should trigger this "how much effort should be spent recruiting NY kids" debate.

He's a good example of the type of kid you and Fin are talking about - excellent measurables that could blossom into a strong contributor.

I also advocated for Dino's staff to show a little "belief without evidence" upthread.

I'm curious - what do you mean by "the bad relationship between the two"? SU & AQ?
I know the Jones family very well. The Greg Robinson staff treated their oldest son very bad. Matt Jones was a SU commit back in the mid 2000's but didnt qualify, Cuse staff did some things that I cant talk about. Wheatley was starting to improve their relationship. He would have got Jarron come to SU but there was too many beat dogs in his ear. larry Johnson who was at Penn st at the time, he is one of the best DL coaches and recruiter got a commitment from Jarron. Notre Dame jumped on him. Once he committed to ND is was over. Jarron was going to still take a official to SU but Brian Kelly told him not to. The Jones family bad experieces have snowballed into the AQ community, so there's a bad perception of SU football from them. I cant remember any AQ player going to SU, not within the last 15 years of their dominance. We are talking about a team that is currently the 16th ranked program in the country.

What are you talking about? ND and PSU have built that relationship over 30 years with schools in WNY, they don't just swoop in like you are intimating. Also, those schools have a brand and cache greater than Syracuse both historically and currently so when a player has the chance to go to PSU and they are from a high school that has a long relationship and trust with sending players there, then yeah they have a good chance to go there. It doesn't mean we turn our noses up at them spitefully like they owe us because we are in state.

Syracuse University is a private school that caters to a population that is not regional for either students or alumni. Players do not grow up thinking of Syracuse and NYS pride like you think they should. We recently started the branding campaign of NY's college team but a few years of putting a sign at Yankee stadium isn't going to change the perception of the entire state.

Doing more things like holding practices in WNY, Albany, and LI will help to change perceptions. Having clinics for HS coaches will change perceptions. Offering a raw or under recruited kid in-state every once in awhile when we offer borderline kids near the signing day deadline every year anyways is not a problem.

The whole notion of some posters here, "screw them they don't send us their best players" is ridiculous. The schools in WNY don't strong arm their best players to attending PSU or ND either, they just assist the students in determining what their best offer/opportunity is and part of that is based on their relationship with the coaching staff and past dealings with the school. This is mostly on the kids opinions of schools and their relationships with the coaches they meet.

Don't scrap the ground work that's been done. Make it better.
Bravo Bravo. People just dont believe me when I say how bad the perception is of Syracuse football. Some of these kids in NY dont even know SU has a football team. They just think basketball is played there. We all have to make this better, not just the SU coaches or HS coaches, All of us.

I know the Jones family very well. The Greg Robinson staff treated their oldest son very bad. Matt Jones was a SU commit back in the mid 2000's but didnt qualify, Cuse staff did some things that I cant talk about. Wheatley was starting to improve their relationship. He would have got Jarron come to SU but there was too many beat dogs in his ear. larry Johnson who was at Penn st at the time, he is one of the best DL coaches and recruiter got a commitment from Jarron. Notre Dame jumped on him. Once he committed to ND is was over. Jarron was going to still take a official to SU but Brian Kelly told him not to. The Jones family bad experieces have snowballed into the AQ community, so there's a bad perception of SU football from them. I cant remember any AQ player going to SU, not within the last 15 years of their dominance. We are talking about a team that is currently the 16th ranked program in the country.

The AQ community is holding a grudge over something Greg F*CKING Robinson did 10 years ago? Seriously?

I've never understood why SU fans get bent out of shape and seemingly take it personally when a team that has basically stunk for 15 years has a hard time keeping the local blue chippers at home. Not only has an entire generation of NYS ballers never seen a really good SU football team, but heck If I'm a top recruit at a Catholic school like AQ, and ND comes calling with a full ride I'm sure as heck going to strongly consider it over SU. As a Catholic myself that fact alone would have made the offer almost irresistible. Who wouldn't want to play in front of a packed house (as opposed to the 1/2 empty Dome) every game on tv, top notch academics (superior to SU?), national alumni network that borders on cult like, and top shelf facilities. None of this is a slight on SU but the overall football experience at SU is inferior to that of schools like Notre Dame. This has always been the case and is not going to change. We have not been the place to be since McNabb/Freeney left and even then we weren't a recruiting destination. In a large part, this is what has me excited about Babers and his offensive scheme- I believe he has a great chance to make SU an exciting place to play again and give us an opportunity to get back on track. If what Money said about Riggins' breakup with SU was handled as poorly as he suggests, then that is very disappointing indeed.
Coming out of highschool in 1993. As much as I love SU sports. If offered, I would have went to Miami, Michigan or Notre Dame before SU.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing your insight into local recruiting!!

The AQ community is holding a grudge over something Greg F*CKING Robinson did 10 years ago? Seriously?
lol it started with that. obviously the coaches weve had since done nothing to change that. Why dont you think Canisius, St Joes, AQ, New Rochelle and other NY powers dont have kids on SU rosters? iTS Not a coincidence. Rutgers does whatever it takes to maintain relationships with the Don Bosco's St Peters, St Joe's and Bergen Catholics. Why do you think Quadree Ollison coming out of Canisius never considered SU?

Last edited:

Because they have a better product to sell. Some products sell themselves. Other products require marketing.

Why don't a group of NY coaches get together and commit to playing Briles/Babers system. The conditioning alone would be great for young athletes,

In the past decade, how many AQ kids have committed to P5 schools?

2016: Jake Zembiec (PSU) and Jamir Jomes (ND)

2012: Jarron Jones (ND) and Jahmahl Pardner (Pitt)

2008: Matt Jones (SU)

Am I missing anyone?

Dead on balls accurate! :) SU is a great school, but will never get the top kids from the Catholic Schools, or be able to select who they want from the public schools like the other big big boys. Just the way it is, for the reasons you stated. However, that sure doesn't mean we can't have a solid program that is exciting to follow. That's all I want and need!

Riggins will get a full ride somewhere soon...Dino is currently recruiting where his staff has connections...relationships with NYS HS coaches will be reestablished moving forward...Cuse football will be relevant again...Amen!