LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

Another aspect of this is that a student panel made this decision and the part of the brain responsible for decision making is the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain is not fully developed until a person’s mid twenties. I don’t any of these panel members was in their mid twenties.

Also to determine fairness, looking at the mental makeup of the panel, concerning mindsets (mental models) If those panel members had closed mindsets, they would be literal thinkers who would look at the rule and follow it, without considering other relevant content, like self defense.

Obviously, these things are unknowable and yet could have effected the outcome of the process.
Nothing in a University is logical. I've seen 50-60 year old PhDs try to make illogical & illegal rulings in sexual assault cases (university counsel stepped in to prevent what were deemed "highly illegal" rulings).

Yep, I'll second that. Freshman year was hanging out with a buddy in a dorm on a Saturday night and we visited some sophomore floormates who had a suite. One dude was very drunk and had a bag of empty cans of beer. Dude was loud (yes, looking back, I should have just left the room). RA heard the noise, came in. I had zero to drink that night as well as my friend. We both got written up for drinking, had to have a meeting with judicial affairs and I also received one year probation along with a nice letter about alcohol and drinking, code of conduct etc. Yes, I should have left the room, but I had zero to drink. I was mad-I told the RA-test me right now, I've had nothing-didn't matter. Predetermined outcome.
Guilt by association is always wrong!

Sounds more and more like the kind of case FIRE would take. But lawsuits take time. Kid needs a decision NOW.
Actually just needs the judge to extend the injunction while the entire process plays out. Lawyer asks to subpoena OCS records to review similar cases and determine if punishment has been consistent, SU opposes subpoena, judge grants the subpoena and SU appeals it, Appeals court upholds, SU drags feet and finally turns over years of records to Allen's lawyer. Lawyer asks for a continuance so they can properly review records.....

Should be resolved by the time Allen is putting on the gold jacket during his induction in the NFL HoF.

I know it is fashionable in some circles to go after Kent every time something funky happens on the athletic side. However, more positive developments in SU athletics have happened on his watch than probably any time since Mel Eggers 40 years ago.

Salient point but to fogs comment this is university as a whole not athletics. Honestly this is an issue with any student forget an athlete.

Don’t these people care about the team? How could you be an SU student and hurt your own football team?! I’m an obsessed “townie” from two hours away, how can they not care they are actual students!

Don’t these people care about the team? How could you be an SU student and hurt your own football team?! I’m an obsessed “townie” from two hours away, how can they not care they are actual students!

th

I really do believe that many students, particularly the more academically inclined ones, actually resent the attention and perceived favoritism they believe the athletes receive and as such, may overcorrect in situations such as this.

Well, it sounds like the kid sustained some injuries [possibly even losing a tooth] from the many altercations he was involved in that night. And based upon today's article, it sounds like he provided a statement to police [not under oath, so probably a written statement] a couple of weeks after the fight.

So it seems like he probably just wanted to extract his pound of flesh.

Some SU students are foreign kids who don't know much about American college sports.

Some kids are so obsessed with academics that they don't even know we have a football team.

And there are a few spoiled and entitled kids who think the key to their success is to ruin other people's lives.

Actually just needs the judge to extend the injunction while the entire process plays out. Lawyer asks to subpoena OCS records to review similar cases and determine if punishment has been consistent, SU opposes subpoena, judge grants the subpoena and SU appeals it, Appeals court upholds, SU drags feet and finally turns over years of records to Allen's lawyer. Lawyer asks for a continuance so they can properly review records...

Should be resolved by the time Allen is putting on the gold jacket during his induction in the NFL HoF.
Taking a look at the proceedure discovery isn’t allowed.

Hey - if others who were in physical altercations with the assailant that night can hear me - now would be a good time to step forward to reporters who would protect their anonymity lest they be suspended for being assaulted.

Actually just needs the judge to extend the injunction while the entire process plays out. Lawyer asks to subpoena OCS records to review similar cases and determine if punishment has been consistent, SU opposes subpoena, judge grants the subpoena and SU appeals it, Appeals court upholds, SU drags feet and finally turns over years of records to Allen's lawyer. Lawyer asks for a continuance so they can properly review records...

THE PERFECT SOLUTION!!!

Now for those of you who are waiting for a statement from the university... Do you not notice that you always are waiting for a statement? That is because privacy laws preclude the university from making a statement most likely. They will not be making one, either way. If he is reinstated, there will be no statement either. This may be why the DA speaking up is a good thing.

I hope the players band together and sign a letter stating they will all walk out if this doesn't get resolved. What is the university going to do? Give up 90% or whatever football brings in of that phat $35 Million check from the ACC, the 6 home games worth of ticket sales/concessions, the Yankee Stadium cash etc etc? Over a kid who is getting railroaded while the jackass who started 17 fights that night and started this one wasn't even disciplined in any way?? Holy crap, SU. Put out a statement saying that after examining the facts in greater detail, the university is accepting the punishment suggested by LeQuint Allen and that he will continue to be eligible as long as he meets those requirements, and that the school will be re-examining the student conduct system at SU to ensure that all students are treated in a fair and just manner. blah blah blah blah. this is what PR firms are for.

Speaking of Boeheim, do we recall how the university handled his "retirement?" It was a PR nightmare. I don't expect them to handle this any differently. Which is ironic given how prestigious Newhouse is.
And I'm not sure we've yet been told the truth why J.B. retired. Or was retired.

THE PERFECT SOLUTION!!!

Now for those of you who are waiting for a statement from the university... Do you not notice that you always are waiting for a statement? That is because privacy laws preclude the university from making a statement most likely. They will not be making one, either way. If he is reinstated, there will be no statement either. This may be why the DA speaking up is a good thing.
I think that a carefully worded statement that Syracuse University is dedicated to the fair punishment for all Syracuse students in all cases and will be reviewing this case carefully in the coming days. It just seems that someone should say something as the snowball keeps rolling down the hill.

Agreed. And on the continuum of punishments, there is a big range between "no punishment -- he's a star football player" and "kick him out of school."

Allen hasn't gotten in trouble before, was forthright about his involvement, and has expressed his willingness to accept multiple other lesser penalties as a consequence of his actions. Penalties that seem more suited to a first-time offense.

Additional background context is that two other known participants in the altercation were NOT punished. And certainly not to the same order of magnitude that the University seeks to apply to Allen. So consistency is out of whack, and makes the way Allen's case was handled seem both arbitrary and capricious.

Common sense has to prevail here.
The 23 year old probably graduated from SU already, so there's no one to punish.

And I'm not sure we've yet been told the truth why J.B. retired. Or was retired.
If you read between the lines in a recent JB interview. He wasn't winning enough for their liking or his liking.

The 23 year old probably graduated from SU already, so there's no one to punish.

So the university let an assaulter graduate, do the walk, and all that jazz?

Woof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom