LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

FTR, anyone emailing SU administration on the LA case and expecting anything more than a lawyered up generic response in the middle of a lawsuit should have their posting privileges revoked for a decade.

C’mon folks use a wee bit of common sense.

FTR, anyone emailing SU administration on the LA case and expecting anything more than a lawyered up generic response in the middle of a lawsuit should have their posting privileges revoked for a decade.

I don’t think any of us were expecting a response, at least I wasn’t.

I just wanted the administration to know that many of us were concerned by the current process and urged them to use this as an opportunity to review the process and make any necessary changes. Hopefully, that’s what they do and allow impacted students, including LA, to continue their education until the process evaluation has been completed and have their situation re-reviewed.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of us were expecting a response, at least I wasn’t.

I just wanted the administration to know that many of us were concerned by the current process and urged them to use this as an opportunity to review the process and make any necessary changes. Hopefully, that’s what they do and allow impacted students, including LA, to continue their education until the process evaluation has been completed and have their situation re-reviewed.
Spot on.

This is where a judge needs common sense

A judge will apply the law and whatever standard of review is applicable. I hope for a good result and I don’t know what legal arguments are being made, but facially, I’d imagine its difficult for a judge to overturn a private university’s disciplinary decision.

I don’t expect the process to change, except at the margins.

I also don’t know when these policies were crafted, but their primary usage now, I believe, is to prosecute sexual misconduct. It’s hard to get a criminal conviction in a he-said she-said scenario, so schools took a “don’t just stand there, do something” approach and swing the pendulum way to the other side. This was partly fueled by an Obama admin Title IX “guidance” that was used as justification for unjust processes.

It’s worse than simply the evidentiary standard. These processes often stack the deck against the accused. That’s not a bug, it’s a feature. They feel they need to do something, anything, so if some innocents get swept up, tough.

FIRE has been fighting these sham courts for years. Here’s the problem. There are True Believers who are going to go ballistic on you if you propose tightening these processes. I was debating this once with a practicing attorney, and he was ready to rip my head off. His exact words: due process for rapists?!

It may seem common sense that what we are seeing is nonsensical. I think we’ll see a very noisy response to any attempt to change the process.

Especially now that the wielders of this hammer have decided that speech and academic work look a lot like nails.
It's a side effect of Title IX legislation. These judicial review boards on university campuses make these rules to give an alternative to young women who have been sexually assaulted (or claim to be sexually assaulted). When young women go to the Title IX officer, the officer can explain that they can go to the police or judicial review (which seems less intimidating). They also can do things like restorative justice.

Still, it's mostly about giving the person options and giving the university legal immunity by claiming they gave the young woman all options and let her, as an adult, decide how she wanted to proceed.

I apologize for seeming cynical about the process - Title IX officers I know want to help young people who are traumatized during their time in school. The problem is the university would LOVE for all sexual assault cases to go to judicial review, as it's private and confidential and won't put the university in a bad light.

So as you say, the bug (undue burden on the accused) is a feature. Stacking it in the way they do, allows judicial review to punish harshly without the burden of proof needed in a court of law. This is also often discussed with the accuser in a roundabout way, especially if they're reporting the rape, etc.. days or weeks after the fact.

The student will get justice (the accused suspended for semesters or forever), the accuser has little recourse to a university action sanctioned by students, faculty, and administration alike, and the university wins because a sexual assault doesn't become attached to the university in publications far and wide.

Because it would look incredibly odd to create one set of rules for sexual assault and another for assault (possible lawsuits, etc.), the university instead created a blanket coverage.

I find it funny when people say it's "woke ideology." Nope - it's high-priced lawyers explaining to the school what needs to happen to keep their institution as pristine as possible. It's jurisprudent PR. The fact it looks like it is advocating for victim rights is simply a nice side effect.

So you end up with the LeQuint Allens of the world being railroaded by a process built without him or his circumstances in mind. It was built for a different reason, and he's just secondary fallout. To admit the penalty was too harsh is to admit the system is fundamentally flawed.

It's a side effect of Title IX legislation. These judicial review boards on university campuses make these rules to give an alternative to young women who have been sexually assaulted (or claim to be sexually assaulted). When young women go to the Title IX officer, the officer can explain that they can go to the police or judicial review (which seems less intimidating). They also can do things like restorative justice.

Still, it's mostly about giving the person options and giving the university legal immunity by claiming they gave the young woman all options and let her, as an adult, decide how she wanted to proceed.

I apologize for seeming cynical about the process - Title IX officers I know want to help young people who are traumatized during their time in school. The problem is the university would LOVE for all sexual assault cases to go to judicial review, as it's private and confidential and won't put the university in a bad light.

So as you say, the bug (undue burden on the accused) is a feature. Stacking it in the way they do, allows judicial review to punish harshly without the burden of proof needed in a court of law. This is also often discussed with the accuser in a roundabout way, especially if they're reporting the rape, etc.. days or weeks after the fact.

The student will get justice (the accused suspended for semesters or forever), the accuser has little recourse to a university action sanctioned by students, faculty, and administration alike, and the university wins because a sexual assault doesn't become attached to the university in publications far and wide.

Because it would look incredibly odd to create one set of rules for sexual assault and another for assault (possible lawsuits, etc.), the university instead created a blanket coverage.

I find it funny when people say it's "woke ideology." Nope - it's high-priced lawyers explaining to the school what needs to happen to keep their institution as pristine as possible. It's jurisprudent PR. The fact it looks like it is advocating for victim rights is simply a nice side effect.

So you end up with the LeQuint Allens of the world being railroaded by a process built without him or his circumstances in mind. It was built for a different reason, and he's just secondary fallout. To admit the penalty was too harsh is to admit the system is fundamentally flawed.
Uh this is exactly what Bob has to say in throwing out SU’s decision. It’s rational and advocates for doing the right thing here - bringing justice to the wronged. Or at least suspending all current decisions and forcing the school to re-examine and redraft its policies. Serving as a model for other private schools along the way. How else can you sleep at night?

Speaking out about injustice is important. That does not mean that large systems always respond to the complaints straightaway. It also does not indicate you should do nothing when you see or are a victim of injustice.

I hope, for LeQuints sake, that a workaround can occur to help him to receive Justice while the system eventually self corrects.

Speaking out about injustice is important. That does not mean that large systems always respond to the complaints straightaway. It also does not indicate you should do nothing when you see or are a victim of injustice.

I hope, for LeQuints sake, that a workaround can occur to help him to receive Justice while the system eventually self corrects.
Agree on the need and desire to speak up, just think that people expecting some type of revealing response are going to be disappointed.

I think we're all quite certain that the Chancellor, Athletic Director, Head Coach know how the SU sports fans feel.

And I think we're all quite certain that at least 2 of those 3 agree with them.

I can handle living and dying on every snap of a bad college football team, it is pretty much all that I know, but being a Syracuse football fan has almost become too exhausting. Between this stuff and moving the Pitt game to NYC it feels like I care about the program and the SAs more than the school does.

I’ve had season tickets since I was in middle school 15 or so years ago and this is the first offseason where I’ve ever wondered what am I doing with my time and money every fall.

Agree on the need and desire to speak up, just think that people expecting some type of revealing response are going to be disappointed.
Anyone expecting immediate change to the problems we face will be disappointed. That doesn’t mean we don’t express our concerns, IMO!

Fantastic response. Thanks!

I don’t get your explanation at all. Title IX regards equal opportunities for women athletes. Regarding sexual assault, collegiate women athletes aren’t the only victims. The much greater majority are coeds not participating in collegiate athletics. LeQuint didn’t go before an athletic judicial board but a process applicable to all students. I don’t understand how you are connecting Title IX to SU’s student judicial process or any college’s judicial process. How is Title IX germane to any college’s student judicial process?

I don’t get your explanation at all. Title IX regards equal opportunities for women athletes. Regarding sexual assault, collegiate women athletes aren’t the only victims. The much greater majority are coeds not participating in collegiate athletics. LeQuint didn’t go before an athletic judicial board but a process applicable to all students. I don’t understand how you are connecting Title IX to SU’s student judicial process or any college’s judicial process. How is Title IX germane to any college’s student judicial process?
Title IX is far, far more broad than that.

Title IX was/is more than just about athletics. The Department of Education publishes guidelines that schools must be in compliance with regarding the handling of sexual assault/sexual violence cases under Title IX.

As others have noted, Title IX has much broader considerations than athletics, but athletics are the highest profile thing and the one most people associate with Title IX. Even though it's not all inclusive of Title IX

Title IX was/is more than just about athletics. The Department of Education publishes guidelines that schools must be in compliance with regarding the handling of sexual assault/sexual violence cases under Title IX.
So can you explain how it applies in this case? Didn't somebody already say there's a different procedure for the sexual assault cases?

nothing.

they cant do a damn thing.

this whole thread is just as useless.

this is just a PR move.

only the school can undo a school thing.

keep posting dreams people, thatll help...
The way the court can intervene is under civil rights, if the court determines his civil rights have been infringed, not saying it will but that is the legal pathway in my opinion.

Yeah comments aside no real expectation of a response although some hope that with so much backlash there would be a retraction prior to the required response date and it didn't sit out there even this long. That part is the disappointment to date.

Agreed. I expect that we'll hear what the judge rules, then SU will issue some pre-canned public statement in response to what the judge decides.

That's about all we'll get.

All comes down to what the judge rules, nothing else matters.

So can you explain how it applies in this case? Didn't somebody already say there's a different procedure for the sexual assault cases?

I didn’t say that it applied to this case or not. I believe a previous poster said that these judicial review boards were a result of Title IX implementation as a way to handle sexual assault cases involving students, among other things. Idk though, that wasn’t my point.

The way the court can intervene is under civil rights, if the court determines his civil rights have been infringed, not saying it will but that is the legal pathway in my opinion.
The other way the court can intervene would be if they find that SU didn't follow its own established procedures in the disciplinary hearing. That is also how courts get involved in terminations in businesses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom