Lets talk about Perception... | Syracusefan.com

Lets talk about Perception...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
In the 11 years Greg Schiano was at Rutgers, he only finished 5-2 in conference TWICE (06/08). Both seasons he lost to the better teams that year (WVU and Cincy). Most of the years he was 4-3 or 3-4. That being said, Rutgers gets the perception of being a solid 8/9 win football team that has been to consecutive bowls, whatever their streak is. Why? Because of soft scheduling. We all know this, it has been beaten to death. I guess what I am trying to say is, why the do we schedule so tough when no one cares?

Everyone else, pads the wins, we should too. At least until we have "turned the corner". Maybe we have already who knows.

RU has not even beaten a ranked team this year, and they wont this year, even if they beat LVille thursday.

In the 11 years Greg Schiano was at Rutgers, he only finished 5-2 in conference TWICE (06/08). Both seasons he lost to the better teams that year (WVU and Cincy). Most of the years he was 4-3 or 3-4. That being said, Rutgers gets the perception of being a solid 8/9 win football team that has been to consecutive bowls, whatever their streak is. Why? Because of soft scheduling. We all know this, it has been beaten to death. I guess what I am trying to say is, why the do we schedule so tough when no one cares?

Everyone else, pads the wins, we should too. At least until we have "turned the corner". Maybe we have already who knows.

RU has not even beaten a ranked team this year, and they wont this year, even if they beat LVille thursday.
i think this perception that the perception of rutgers is wrong is wrong

i don't know who thinks rutgers has been that good

What about the perception of Syracuse vs UCONN? We've put up 7 wins, qualified for a bowl game, and could not be happier.

UCONN has won five, including its last two, and could still qualify for a bowl game, and they've had an awful season.

Funny how that works.

I might be wrong but This year's schedule was the toughest by far in about 10 years. Don't we schedule 2 FCS Schools per year and 1 Average FBS team per year. You can't get more cupcake than that!

I might be wrong but This year's schedule was the toughest by far in about 10 years. Don't we schedule 2 FCS Schools per year and 1 Average FBS team per year. You can't get more cupcake than that!

Thats what I am saying. If we had last years OOC schedule, what would our record have been, Wake, USC, URI, Tulane, Toledo. Toledo and Temple are a wash (both MAC schools). You replace Minny with URI and we are at 8-4. Go the RU Route and replace USC with another middle pac FBS school like Illinois, and we are possibly 9-3?

What about the perception of Syracuse vs UCONN? We've put up 7 wins, qualified for a bowl game, and could not be happier.

UCONN has won five, including its last two, and could still qualify for a bowl game, and they've had an awful season.

Funny how that works.
I don't know about you, but I could be happier than 7-5/5-2.

I'm happy the way the team performed down the stretch, the offense, the mental toughness and the direction of the program - but certainly am not ecstatic with where they ended up and the possibility of ending up in Birmingham for the bowl game when they are clearly the best team in the conference at this point.

UConn has had a terrible season - a typical late SU tenure coach P season. 5-7 or 6-6 with ugly/terrible offense, What losses to teams they should have defeated, and just enough late season success to save his job and retain the offensive albatross Deleone. It is a terrible season for them and I know exactly how they feel.

SU's SOS:

2012 54th overall
2011 48th overall
2010 85th overall
2009 40th overall
2008 37th overall
2007 20th overall
2006 20th overall
2005 45th overall
2004 58th overall
2003 57th overall

No...

SU's SOS:

2012 54th overall
2011 48th overall
2010 85th overall
2009 40th overall
2008 37th overall
2007 20th overall
2006 20th overall
2005 45th overall
2004 58th overall
2003 57th overall

Which site is this from. I would like to see how SU compares to RU and VaTech

No - SU does not schedule 2 FCS schools per year - it happened one time when they couldn't find a FBS school to replace a team that dropped off the schedule. A typical SU OOC schedule is 3 BCS conference teams (1 usually top tier and 2 middle of the pack teams) 1 non BCS FBS team (MAC/Tulane/Conf USA) and one north east based FCS team (Maine/RI/Stony). Once in a while you'd get 2 BCS teams and 2 non-BCS FBS teams, but that's as easy as a "typical" SU OOC schedule gets.

And you absolutely can get much more cupcake than that - take a look at your typical Rutgers OOC schedule. 1 bottom tier BCS team or 0 BCS teams, 1 or 2 bottom tier FCS teams, 1 service academy (whichever one is currently down - when Navy got good they dropped them) and 2 bottom tier Non-BCS FBS teams (FAU / bad MAC/ etc).

Do you follow college football?

Which site is this from. I would like to see how SU compares to RU and VaTech

Piscataway Paper Tiger's SOS:

2012 98th overall
2011 64th overall
2010 72nd overall
2009 79th overall
2008 63rd overall
2007 60th overall
2006 44th overall
2005 78th overall
2004 85th overall
2003 66th overall

Va Tech's SOS:
2012 45th overall
2011 60th overall
2010 35th overall
2009 9th overall
2008 41st overall
2007 38th overall
2006 63rd overall
2005 29th overall
2004 33rd overall
2003 61st overall

sports-reference.com

Va Tech built their reputation as a dominant program through perception back in the 1990's. Their schedules were as bad a RU's schedules are now. They played a ton of cupcakes and BE bottom dwellers. Their biggest games of the year were Miami, WVU and SU, usually. They were always posting 10 win seasons, but the scheduling sucked. Still, they were looked at as this darling program that won with defense. Until Vick showed up and made them a virtual Top Ten preseason lock for the next decade. All Schiano did was copy the Beamer formula for scheduling. Pile up wins against losers to ensure 8 wins or more and gain respectability through perception.

The problem was, RU is not VaTech and was hurt more by losing to some of these lesser teams.

I'd rather have a moderately difficult schedule, because a loss to USC is better than a loss to Kent State, and an upset of USC has so much more upside than beating a MAC school. I don't want a Murderers Row schedule like we've had before, but I think we're close to a point where we should be playing two legit Top 25 teams every year on our OOC schedule.

I think we are now perceived as a phyical dangerous team and if you are looking for a patsy it is not us.
We would not be perceived that way if he had not played a tough schedule. I like that image for now.

Rutgers also happen to play Arkansas in a complete mess of a year. Them being this bad is an anomaly, not the norm.

i think this perception that the perception of rutgers is wrong is wrong

i don't know who thinks rutgers has been that good

Yep. When they were added to the Big 10, all you heard nationally was...

1. There are obviously a lot of TV sets in their area.
2. Rutgers hit the lotto.
3. The Big 10 just got worse.

I don't mean this to be a sour grapes post, it was literally all I read. I admittedly didn't check the Rutgers message boards though, so I'm sure it was written somewhere how they were picked because of how good a football program they are.

SU's SOS:

2012 54th overall
2011 48th overall
2010 85th overall
2009 40th overall
2008 37th overall
2007 20th overall
2006 20th overall
2005 45th overall
2004 58th overall
2003 57th overall

At what point in the season is that 2012 rating calculated? It seems disappointingly low if it's it was calculated at the start of the season.

At what point in the season is that 2012 rating calculated? It seems disappointingly low if it's it was calculated at the start of the season.

That is updated weekly ... that is our SOS as of now.

Funny how that works.

If that's how it turns out it's not awful, it's not good either, but a defense heavy team with a horrible offense doesn't work for most people.

I'd love to see them add home/away on the SOS along with actually leaving the area time zone wise. SOS also gives way too much credit to the political money grabbing and let's add quite ignorant polling system. I mean seriously, you get tons of credit losing (and it could be by 40) to a top 30 team than beating 2 top 40's.

If that's how it turns out it's not awful, it's not good either, but a defense heavy team with a horrible offense doesn't work for most people.

Plus UConn's marquee OOC win is Maryland ... really? Honestly? We beat an SEC team on the road in Mizzou ... and played USC tough as well as two B1G schools ... we didn't get to 7 wins feasting on UB, UMass and bombing out against Western Michigan ... our schedules were worlds apart. They only have 2 BE wins to boot ... we are night and day compared to UConn.

We really only played one marquee name OOC, USC, and they ended up having a 7-5 record. Missouri is an SEC team, but they finished 2-6 in conference and 5-7 overall. Minnesota was 6-6 and 2-6 in a down Big Ten, and Northwestern had a solid year and has the highest BSC ranking of anyone we played at 22. With the Big East as weak as it is, there's no way anyone should expect our schedule to be better than middle of the pack at best.

SU's SOS:

2012 54th overall
2011 48th overall
2010 85th overall
2009 40th overall
2008 37th overall
2007 20th overall
2006 20th overall
2005 45th overall
2004 58th overall
2003 57th overall
Substitute WVU for Temple what is it?

Perception is built by the agenda filled talking heads on all the college football avenues...all of them. If you get some ex jock who is as dumb as a bag of rocks but hey, he was a helluva player and people actually listen to him...well you know he's going to back his school and conference. Same goes for ex coaches, it's amazing how ignorant they become or maybe they weren't that good of coaches to begin with and having a loaded team was why they won. All the broadcasting schools and intelligent people out there and yet the constant drivel that comes out of their mouths just makes me dislike a sport that I love and enjoy.

We really only played one marquee name OOC, USC, and they ended up having a 7-5 record. Missouri is an SEC team, but they finished 2-6 in conference and 5-7 overall. Minnesota was 6-6 and 2-6 in a down Big Ten, and Northwestern had a solid year and has the highest BSC ranking of anyone we played at 22. With the Big East as weak as it is, there's no way anyone should expect our schedule to be better than middle of the pack at best.
this would be radically different if it showed OOC SOS - but SU gets penalized for the perceived weakness of the conference slate, while B10/PAC12/B12/SEC can literally play no one OOC and still receive a higher SOS. Given how certain conferences are automatically given high SOS ratings just based on their conference games - 54 is about as good as can be expected. I assume it's the highest ranking among BE teams.

for me, it comes down always feeling like there's a chance in each game

i stay invested in all the games if it's a .500 team with a great offense and bad defense. vice versa, there are going to be more games decided earlier (fall behind less but when you fall behind, it's over)

i hate when coaches play to delay losing in playcalling but i don't mind when the teams are built in a way that delays certain outcomes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom