Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally they announce the start times for the 1st three weeks of the season by June 1.

Guessing that we're going to use the 12 day rule for the entire season. We may not have a start time until late August.
Thank you

Good nonpolitical article on the race for the vaccine

Terrible choice... either you have some fans or nothing.

If the kids are playing with a small risk so should the fans.

Still say, we got to open up and shelter the most at risk. Every one decides their own risk tolerance.

I just flew on a packed flight from SYR to St Pete. I wore a mask and felt secure. To each his own
yeah I flew from Syracuse to Minnesota and back. All flights were packed. Felt totally safe.

I suggested this but was told it was a non starter
The old video scoreboards are gone. The new ones are, I believe, not designed to work outdoors. The existing scoreboards that have survived (all ribbon?) are also, I assume, designed to work indoors only. Otherwise, why were they wrapped in plastic so carefully?

If it rains or we get bad weather, the private boxes, no longer protected, will get wrecked. Pipes might break late in the season when it gets cold. That applies to the bathrooms and many, if not all of the concession areas.

Also remember that the dome floor is not pitched and has no drains. It is not designed to host games outdoors.

There also would be no lights. At all. And no sound system.

And then there is the whole problem of where the basketball teams are going to play...

I don't think this idea will work. At the least, it would be extremely difficult to pull off, especially with 2 home games scheduled for November.

it still seems weird that if we are behind schedule a significant bit that they have not visible escalated the pace of work in this extended stretch of great weather. Or the issue is the supply chain is really whats holding things up in which case there is little they can do except get whatever they can done that we cant see and perhaps part of the big stuff is behind but some of the inside stuff is ahead? The reality is that if they get a roof with lights the scoreboard/sound could still be done after week 1.

yeah I flew from Syracuse to Minnesota and back. All flights were packed. Felt totally safe.
I'm not sure feeling totally safe prevents transmission of Covid. I don't think the vast majority of people that caught it had a feeling of dread or fear the moment the virus entered their bodies.
The last time I had the flu (March 1996), I felt great the day before.

I'm not sure feeling totally safe prevents transmission of Covid. I don't think the vast majority of people that caught it had a feeling of dread or fear the moment the virus entered their bodies.

You haven't had the flu in 24 years? You might be the one to cure this!

Fauci basically just said football shouldn’t happen unless the players are in a bubble.
I don’t see college football playing if that is true.

Just move College football to the spring now.

Some faculty are not happy because many schools are greatly reducing or eliminating travel altogether for faculty and staff to reduce the spread of Covid. So how can you then say it’s ok for sports teams to travel? I know some low to mid level conferences are discussing bus trip only, no overnights and no airline travel for athletic teams. And some are recommending an Oct 1 start date and keep competition to conference only. Just don’t see college athletics being normal this year until a vaccine is rolled out.

The old video scoreboards are gone. The new ones are, I believe, not designed to work outdoors. The existing scoreboards that have survived (all ribbon?) are also, I assume, designed to work indoors only. Otherwise, why were they wrapped in plastic so carefully?

If it rains or we get bad weather, the private boxes, no longer protected, will get wrecked. Pipes might break late in the season when it gets cold. That applies to the bathrooms and many, if not all of the concession areas.

Also remember that the dome floor is not pitched and has no drains. It is not designed to host games outdoors.

There also would be no lights. At all. And no sound system.

And then there is the whole problem of where the basketball teams are going to play...

I don't think this idea will work. At the least, it would be extremely difficult to pull off, especially with 2 home games scheduled for November.

I was being facetious

most schools cut travel to save money not for safety

Travel was cut for this fiscal year to save money, that’s correct. For next year, it’s to both save money and for safety to prevent people from bringing the virus back to campus.

I agree, but the fball team type travel will be way different than how a reg. person travels. It may come down to people who travel for work will need to get tested and sit around for 2-3 days before getting back into the campus mix.

Break out the ventilators I better check into the hospital.

Travel was cut for this fiscal year to save money, that’s correct. For next year, it’s to both save money and for safety to prevent people from bringing the virus back to campus.

Not totally true about saving money. If traveling under a grant, one could argue that the school loses money by not allowing travel (they don't get their overhead). With that said, I am not aware of any conferences/meetings/etc.. that are even happening, so there is no place to travel to.

Yeah 13 of a football team is pretty significant.
4 with antibodies, 10 more in isolation. 17 that have been positive. 20%.

I hope to holy h311 they are doing a study on this. 10k+ college age kids getting "randomly" tested. It could shed more light on how it affects the age group. That could decide whether we have football... or even college. (yes, you have to consider contacts/community).

The players are basically Guinea Pigs. This needs to be tracked/studied. If 75% are asymptomatic? 20% experience cold like symptoms? 5% the flu? If they can keep the coaches safe, they'll play.

20% would seem about the norm for an age group likely out and about
The median age of positives in Florida has dropped from 60 to 35.

Basically, the youngsters are getting it...still some trouble areas (WPB)
If an hourly worker gets it, we need to make sure they get paid while recovering or quarantined. Most of these folks are "living hand to mouth".

Status
Not open for further replies.