Listen up... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Listen up...

I have not been on the board all night (as others will attest, I was an active participant in the chat room until about five minutes ago). I say that to show --- contrary to what seems to be common perception ... that I an NOT the admin who has had to delete a lot of posts tonight.

Having quickly read the deleted threads, I will say the following:

1) This is an ADULT forum. "Adult" does not mean chronological age. It means adult judgment and behavior.

2) Four letter words, character assassination, death threats, etc., are not condoned here.

3) The easiest ways to get a post deleted ... is to repeat a deleted post.. or to ask why a post has been deleted.

4) The world did not end tonight. A team that overcame adversity and played like a team won a game tonight. It would have been wonderful if it were our team, but it wasn't. The world did not come to an end. No one died. No one's dog got lost. No one's kid got rejected at all 12 colleges. No one's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I apologize to Millhouse if he thinks this is "another lecture." But there have been admins here tonight who have being doing heroic work trying to keep this place sane. I, for one, thank them

Sometimes you just have to understand your own capacity for poor judgment and juvenile behavior. That is why I went nowhere near a television or a computer last night. Perhaps that's another definition of being an adult.

BTW, I just found out who won the game 15 ago. I can deal with it. I'll just stay away from the Dogpound for a few months.

I have not been on the board all night (as others will attest, I was an active participant in the chat room until about five minutes ago). I say that to show --- contrary to what seems to be common perception ... that I an NOT the admin who has had to delete a lot of posts tonight.

1) This is an ADULT forum. "Adult" does not mean chronological age. It means adult judgment and behavior.

2) Four letter words, character assassination, death threats, etc., are not condoned here.

3) The easiest ways to get a post deleted ... is to repeat a deleted post.. or to ask why a post has been deleted.

4) The world did not end tonight. A team that overcame adversity and played like a team won a game tonight. It would have been wonderful if it were our team, but it wasn't. The world did not come to an end. No one died. No one's dog got lost. No one's kid got rejected at all 12 colleges. No one's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I apologize to Millhouse if he thinks this is "another lecture." But there have been admins here tonight who have being doing heroic work trying to keep this place sane. I, for one, thank them

Thank you CTO. The "" crowd just needs to back away from the keyboard every time they get the urge to spew their ridiculousness. The teenagers need to go play their video games or take a break from the board every time Syracuse loses, Uconn wins or a Syracuse player declares for the draft. This would thin out a lot of the silliness and insulting posts.

MaxwellCuse said:
Sometimes you just have to understand your own capacity for poor judgment and juvenile behavior. That is why I went nowhere near a television or a computer last night. Perhaps that's another definition of being an adult. BTW, I just found out who won the game 15 ago. I can deal with it. I'll just stay away from the Dogpound for a few months.

Good call. I also chose not to watch the game. Living in the heart of Husky Land is bad enough.

Cue Laura Branningan 'Millhouse need a hero... woo hoo... ahhh ahhhh...'

I "liked" the OP mostly for point #4(hating another team doesn't make SU's meltdown any less drastic to me, or make me more of a fan), but want to point out it wasnt a carte blanche endorsement of the rest of the post, especially the use of the term heroic. UConn's tourney run, on the other hand, that was far closer to any definition of heroic I've been familiar with ;) Or maybe the musicians who rocked after that storm with all the fatalities and ended the show with "Live and Let Die", yes that too would be more heroic... somehow. But of course I am not familiar with what is required of mods, so I feel even more secure with my statement about UConn.

Ive likely liked posts on however many sides of the fence there are in this thread, trying to go with the message rather than the messenger. While I strongly empathize with two3's call for some degree of congruency in the wielding of the banhammer and other instruments of force(as well as in controlling the means of production), I personally am more in favor of this approach when I can manage to stick to it:

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/05/29/like-water-bruce-lee-artist-of-life/

Here's the only four letter word you need to know.
Love. Always prevails.
radio-raheem-love-hate.jpg

In light of last nights events one can only ask... " wheres the random chicken walking around and when does tyson show up?"

Here's a little perspective and humor on this….
My wife and I had our second daughter on March 31st. We had our second high risk pregnancy, and both my wife and daughter are home and healthy now. Our first daughter was born in March 2011. Both times, I would have given anything to ensure both came home healthy.

Both times, UConn won the National Championship. Obviously, we're done having kids. :)

In all seriousness though, if you're at a point where it really devastates you because your rival wins the championship, consider yourself to be a nice stage of your life without more pressing issues. And I'm not criticizing anyone because in a month I'll be back to being devastated when the Mets are struggling and how it "ruins" my summer. Its just when you have a situation more pressing, you tend to let issues with your sports teams roll off your back. If you don't have that pressing issue, be thankful.

This place =

yinYang.gif

Mods and admins are trying to keep it under control, and that can't be easy. I never understood why "fans" come here to put their own team down, but I do recognize that they exist. And, incredulous as it sounds to me, I am sure some can't understand how some of us never waver in our belief in this team. Just know that both sides are out there, and learn to deal with the duality.

Anyway, hats off to the mods and admins for having the difficult task of keeping both sides in check.

This place =

yinYang.gif

Mods and admins are trying to keep it under control, and that can't be easy. I never understood why "fans" come here to put their own team down, but I do recognize that they exist. And, incredulous as it sounds to me, I am sure some can't understand how some of us never waver in our belief in this team. Just know that both sides are out there, and learn to deal with the duality.

Anyway, hats off to the mods and admins for having the difficult task of keeping both sides in check.

Theres a lot of frustration and rightfully so. This season was a huge #$%^ tease, we underachieve on a regular basis, and Connecticut seems to fall ass backward into titles.

eao1115 said:
Coming off their 4th national title in 15 years and probably going to enter next season as a Top 10-15 team? Doesn't seem like they have much to be mad about.
They still have to play football.

Trying to keep the internet sane is a monumental task. I do not envy what the admins here have to do.

You all do a very good job and I thank you.

why are we talking about cancer so much?

I love this board and think you do a great job --- but this is the one part of the board that frustrates me the most. I have started some threads that have evolved into something else and the entire thread gets nuked with no explanation (when simply deleting a post on the thread seems more appropriate).

I also started a thread the other day "I feel dirty" explaining that I made money on a UConn Final Four wager. I see absolutely no reason why this thread would have been deleted, but, for some reason it was - with no explanation at all.

As a frequent poster, I get it when things go overboard and things need to be cleaned up around here, but I have never felt like any of my posts have crossed that line. When my threads get deleted without explanation it feels more like the moderators are on some sort of power trip than anything --- my two cents.

If I am doing something wrong - PLEASE - let me know what it was so I don't do it anymore.

there is nothing heroic about being a board admin. That is an insult to the people who day in and day out do heroic deeds. You should know better. There should have been a "heroic" admin here saturday night when that great guy zls came here to gloat. We could not do that over on the Boneyard. The admin's there would have banned us in a new york minute.

there is nothing heroic about being a board admin. That is an insult to the people who day in and day out do heroic deeds. You should know better. There should have been a "heroic" admin here saturday night when that great guy zls came here to gloat. We could not do that over on the Boneyard. The admin's there would have banned us in a new york minute.

I agree with all of what CTO said, but I wouldn't use the word "heroic". I appreciate what the mods are doing here, but it save that word for soldiers, firefighters, law enforcement... That said, I don't really think she meant that the admins are heroes.

As far as (super) heroes go, the only poster here that wears a cape and tights on a regular basis is Chip.

I agree with all of what CTO said, but I wouldn't use the word "heroic". I appreciate what the mods are doing here, but it save that word for soldiers, firefighters, law enforcement... That said, I don't really think she meant that the admins are heroes.
CTO is a professional at the use of words. She made her living with words. The use of the word heroic was intentional and it was very wrong.

As far as (super) heroes go, the only poster here that wears a cape and tights on a regular basis is Chip.
Bayside, for the last time, Chip's use of wearing tights has nothing to do with heroic acts. It's not like he is Batman. He just feels pretty.

albanycuse said:
The problem with this board is people think they are more important than they really are. Stop taking yourselves so seriously. This is a basketball message board. You control nothing thats important in life.

Doesn't help when people act like they idolize some people in here and place them on a pedestal.

Just how many Ef UCon posts are needed? And when it gets deleted why post it again and then keep questioning why it's deleted. It's embarrassing to the board.

Simple solution. Ban all references to F this and . Delete the post and suspend posting privileges. It's beyond juvenile. Borderline offensive. Not something people would likely would wish to explain to their children. Yet there's never been any real overt attempt to curtail it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom