Listening to that idiot Fat Steve on local ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Listening to that idiot Fat Steve on local ESPN

GoSU96

Living Legend
got me to thinking.

First thing to remember is that he's the guy that predicted Uconn over SU last year. Guy is a dope. Today he went on and on about how it's crazy to think that 7-5, let alone 8-4, is a reasonable expectation.

Big part of his premise is how the ACC is a step up from the BE. If you are looking at the whole conference, maybe, but when you look at this years schedule, nope.

If fact I'd argue that this years schedule is easier. Here is how I compare the schedules:

Neutral game SC vs PSU. Regardless of how USC ended the year, they were light years better on offense than this years PSU team at the same time, defense comparable. Last years game was harder.

Nwestern at home vs Nwestern away, 1 pt game last year, I'd argue an old style give away; punt return, fumble return, ridiculous INT off of Sales leg, nonsense PI. Change of venue makes this years game harder.

Stony Brook vs Wagner. Wagner was a surprising 9-4, but I believe weaker competition, last years game was harder.

Pitt vs Pitt at home. Very close game. last year Pitt, RB's gone, QB gone. Street is only significant skill guy back. Savage vs Tino, not even close. Last years game was harder.

At Rutgers vs At NCST, Rutgers was a better team than last years version of NCSt. Add in the fact that Glennon was responsible for 3/4 of their yds and 2/3rds of their TD's were through the air. Last years game was harder.

Uconn home vs BC home. As bad was Uconn was on offense, still better than BC's and not even close on defense. Much harder game last year.

At Cinci vs At FSU. Cinci was a very good team, but this isn't close. This years game is obviously harder.

Louisville home vs Clemson at home. This years game is harder, as well as Louisville played this year. SU caught Louisville when they were down a number of players on defense and their top RB went down early.

Missouri away vs GT away. I would say this is a wash between difficulty of these two games.

Minnesota away vs Maryland away. Last years game was harder than this one will be. Maryland has a long way to go to be as good as Minny was last year. They were 123rd in total offense last year.

SFla away vs Tulane at home. Not even close.

Temple away vs Wake at home. Wake was garbage last year. Awful on both side of the ball. At least Temple could run the ball. Venue makes last years game harder.

The top end of this years schedule is harder, but the middle and bottom are easier this year compared to last based on the relative strenght of the teams and location of the games.

Have at it.

Like the comparison between NCState and Rutgers ;).

ESPN did some research and came to the conclusion that the BE was on par with the ACC the last ten years. The PS did the same and came to a similar conclusion.

I agree that this years FSU and Clemson teams are stronger than many of the cream of the crop BE teams (Cinci, Louisville, WVU) over the last ten years - it's pretty close. WVU and Cinci both had some really good years.

I think we are in every game but FSU this year.

Like the comparison between NCState and Rutgers ;).

ESPN did some research and came to the conclusion that the BE was on par with the ACC the last ten years. The PS did the same and came to a similar conclusion.

I agree that this years FSU and Clemson teams are stronger than many of the cream of the crop BE teams (Cinci, Louisville, WVU) over the last ten years - it's pretty close. WVU and Cinci both had some really good years.

I think we are in every game but FSU this year.

Clemson is going to be really, really, really good this year.

The reall honest truth is that No one is a clairvoyant and knows what the future holds. Some teams that are expected to be good wont be and the opposite holds true as well. Syracuse could end up winning the ACC. They also might go 4-8. I can see scenarios where either could happen. Remember last year USC was preseason number one. I doubt any one saw North Western going 10-3. I know that no one on this board saw syracuse averaging 470yds/ game

You just never know.

I think overall this year's schedule is tougher. I expect BC and Maryland to be improved this year. I would rank SU's 3 toughest games as FSU, Clemson and Northwestern and would not be real shocked if SU went 0-3 against these teams. However, every other game on the schedule is there for the taking.

I don't expect a 9-3 season, but it's realistic to say 7-5

Plus one more home game / one less away game. Never hurts.

Does he really go by Fat Steve? Because that just screams credibility.

Be interesting to see what Clemson does versus UGA. It always seems FSU and Clemson the bed at the wrong time...

I don't understand why many people can't see the improvement in Syracuse football, not from 2-10 to 4-8 but to a legit 7-5 type team. Expectations are at 7-5 because that is where we have been the last 2 -3 years. The one year we didn't was a disaster and we were 5-7... and had many opportunities to be 7-5.

It's just hometown Syracuse negativity over everything.

I think overall this year's schedule is tougher. I expect BC and Maryland to be improved this year. I would rank SU's 3 toughest games as FSU, Clemson and Northwestern and would not be real shocked if SU went 0-3 against these teams. However, every other game on the schedule is there for the taking.

BC and Maryland have only one way to go, and that's up. BC played to SU 2008 level of horribleness across the board and Maryland on offense was worse.

BC and Maryland have only one way to go, and that's up. BC played to SU 2008 level of horribleness across the board and Maryland on offense was worse.
I for one hope Mary continues to go down.

Agree with your post, I think this seasons schedule is definitely toughter. Penn State and Northwestern are just as tough as last years USC/NW combo and FSU/Clemson are better then any team we faced last year in the BE. The season will come down to what we can do against, Maryland, BC, Wake, NC State, Ga Tech, Pitt. Need to be 4-2 against them, 3-3 at the absolute worst.

Agree with your post, I think this seasons schedule is definitely toughter. Penn State and Northwestern are just as tough as last years USC/NW combo and FSU/Clemson are better then any team we faced last year in the BE. The season will come down to what we can do against, Maryland, BC, Wake, NC State, Ga Tech, Pitt. Need to be 4-2 against them, 3-3 at the absolute worst.

Not totally convinced that last years Louisville team is not in the same conversation with this years FSU/Clemson teams. Probably splitting hairs - but they were ranked #9 last year in the dome and beat Florida in the BCS game.

Personally, I like Steve's commentary and find myself agreeing with him on most topics. In the case of his prediction, I think he protecting himself from being called a homer as all of the P-S guys did. Leave the 8-4 and 7-5's to us.

Not totally convinced that last years Louisville team is not in the same conversation with this years FSU/Clemson teams. Probably splitting hairs - but they were ranked #9 last year in the dome and beat Florida in the BCS game.

I would agree with you but the week after we beat them, Lville lost to Uconn at home. I think they ambushed Florida.

outside of god no one knows how the season will go till its over-

i for one believe we smack the snit out of those fake orange wannabees at the dome-and ruin any hope they had of a nc

I would agree with you but the week after we beat them, Lville lost to Uconn at home. I think they ambushed Florida.
Many teams have a less than stellar game the week after playing our hardnosed bunch. ;-)

I think it was the USC wr's that said that SU was their toughest game.

Unless they were 0-12, they can still get worse. They could also stay at the same level. I bet there is optimism on their boards about being bowl eligible, just like there is on every teams' boards right now.

Many teams have a less than stellar game the week after playing our hardnosed bunch. ;-)

I think it was the USC wr's that said that SU was their toughest game.

Ya good point, they may have been a bit beat up from that game and still thinking about the loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom