Little Bulletin Board Material from the Danes | Syracusefan.com

Little Bulletin Board Material from the Danes

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Posted this in the Albany/Holy Cross general thread but figured it deserved its own thread. Interesting comments from a player whose defense was as bad or worse then SU's last year.

UAlbany long stick midfielder Elijah Gash, a graduate student, and his teammates have watched that game.

"It was good to watch and I was excited that they did play Vermont because we've played them a lot these past couple of years," Gash said. "It did give me a frame of reference, but I mean it's just another game. (Syracuse) scored seven goals, we've scored none so far, so we've just got to do what we do."

Gash said UAlbany should have an experience advantage over Syracuse.

"They're very, very young," he said. "A lot of, I feel like, immaturity at times. They don't really know how to play as a team yet. They hustle and they hit. They're gritty. That's what I did notice about them. They're very, very fast on offense. They'll throw all these type of (behind the back) passes. They're very flashy but they do want theirs and so I feel if we play as a team, stick together and play team defense, we're going to be able to shut their guys down."

In the end I think the result from the first game will have us in the right mindset for this one. We won, so there shouldn't be a big reduction in overall confidence, but the offense will still be coming in hungry to prove that some of the plays Mr. Gash refers to don't define them. Defense still has plenty to prove in this game since they performed so poorly last season, including giving up 14 to this Albany team. Main focus still has to be on limiting transition. Think that is Albany's one path to victory. Discipline there and we can point and laugh at Mr. Gash all night long.

Thanks for sharing Jeremy, I couldn't access the article without a subscription.

I don't see anything insanely over the top from Gash. Him calling the team immature was maybe a bit out of bounds but the next sentence he says how gritty they are. Ping pongs back and forth between put downs and compliments. I'm hoping the Orange are locked in because it's a game on their schedule and not because a player on the opposing team said some mean things about them.

There are some very complimentary articles coming out about Albany and how locked in they are for the season. That's usually pretty normal for preseason coverage but I do think people are overlooking this Danes team. Marr doesn't seem to be the type to be confident about a team he shouldn't be, and he does seem to like his team this year.

I too am worried about the pace of this game, which is hard to fathom being a fan of SU. Vermont was very deliberate on offense and took the air out of the ball. Albany will not play that way. The good news I guess is that Vermont's LSM is one of the better long sticks in transition and they held him in check all game. Hopefully that trend continues.

This game has all sorts of weird vibes. Albany had a very bad season last year, they lost by eight to Binghamton, and finished the season with only five wins. Yet they beat Syracuse last year and are thumping their chests about it, which I guess is kind of funny. Personally I think it will be good for SU to NOT focus on the revenge factor and just treat it as a regular game. If they get too amped up, that might lead to turnovers, dumb penalties and silly mistakes. Marr has a way of trying to inject these games with emotion, I think SU needs to worry about themselves and not worry about making some sort of statement.

Respectfully disagree, maybe Albany's defense plays great tonight but what upper level offense have they shut down the last I don't know how many years??

I didn't take it that way. I just read it as his observations some of which were complimentary (fast, gritty, physical). The way he said 7 goals implies our offense isn't that good so maybe that ends up on the bulletin board, but everyone on this message board here has been saying the same thing. Many people have been complaining about Marsh and really, the offense isn't that good until they can put the ball in the back of the net.

I tend to believe the offense will get better as the season goes and frankly could see a break out night tonight.

I said a couple of times in the VT game thread we need to chit can the highlight reel junk. Put the damn ball in the net consistently before we showboat behind the back passes etc. Multiple turnovers from that.

As I said after the game last week, the main reason I am not concerned about the offense is because a large part of the problem last week was us not finishing high percentage shots around the goal. Birtwistle and Simmons were both stuffed or somehow bobbled passes on multiple occasions around the goal. Spallina was able to get shots from 5 yards out and from solid angles that simply have to fall eventually. Even Hiltz had a couple from close range that should have gone. A few of those hit the back of the net and the narrative is totally different about March, selfishness, Spallina, everything.

We cannot keep going back to the Spallina 1v1 routine if it does not produce results, but I also don't think that will be the case. He saw the film from last week just like us. One other slight concern I saw last week was not making enough space for middies when they initiated their dodges. A few times we had mids initiate from both up top and on the invert where they ended up running into traffic. Have to give them better opportunities to assist off a dodge against a short stick. We cleared out an entire side of the field for Thomson against a short stick and it lead to a nice assisted goal.

Thanks for sharing Jeremy, I couldn't access the article without a subscription.

I don't see anything insanely over the top from Gash. Him calling the team immature was maybe a bit out of bounds but the next sentence he says how gritty they are. Ping pongs back and forth between put downs and compliments. I'm hoping the Orange are locked in because it's a game on their schedule and not because a player on the opposing team said some mean things about them.

There are some very complimentary articles coming out about Albany and how locked in they are for the season. That's usually pretty normal for preseason coverage but I do think people are overlooking this Danes team. Marr doesn't seem to be the type to be confident about a team he shouldn't be, and he does seem to like his team this year.

I too am worried about the pace of this game, which is hard to fathom being a fan of SU. Vermont was very deliberate on offense and took the air out of the ball. Albany will not play that way. The good news I guess is that Vermont's LSM is one of the better long sticks in transition and they held him in check all game. Hopefully that trend continues.

This game has all sorts of weird vibes. Albany had a very bad season last year, they lost by eight to Binghamton, and finished the season with only five wins. Yet they beat Syracuse last year and are thumping their chests about it, which I guess is kind of funny. Personally I think it will be good for SU to NOT focus on the revenge factor and just treat it as a regular game. If they get too amped up, that might lead to turnovers, dumb penalties and silly mistakes. Marr has a way of trying to inject these games with emotion, I think SU needs to worry about themselves and not worry about making some sort of statement.

Per the IL article today it sounds like the True Frosh Silas Richmond will be starting at attack and another frosh is likely to start at midfield and close defense. Hope SU is ready for Richmond, would assume Clary would draw the assignment with Caccamo on Hogg.

Posted this in the Albany/Holy Cross general thread but figured it deserved its own thread. Interesting comments from a player whose defense was as bad or worse then SU's last year.

UAlbany long stick midfielder Elijah Gash, a graduate student, and his teammates have watched that game.

"It was good to watch and I was excited that they did play Vermont because we've played them a lot these past couple of years," Gash said. "It did give me a frame of reference, but I mean it's just another game. (Syracuse) scored seven goals, we've scored none so far, so we've just got to do what we do."

Gash said UAlbany should have an experience advantage over Syracuse.

"They're very, very young," he said. "A lot of, I feel like, immaturity at times. They don't really know how to play as a team yet. They hustle and they hit. They're gritty. That's what I did notice about them. They're very, very fast on offense. They'll throw all these type of (behind the back) passes. They're very flashy but they do want theirs and so I feel if we play as a team, stick together and play team defense, we're going to be able to shut their guys down."

Albany was #gashed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom