Looking ahead - Next years Roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead - Next years Roster

We need WRs and NTs transfers. I think we are good at the other positions.

Need 2 tackles and a center for quality proven depth also
Agreed. So glad your Son is ok. I actually think this is going to end up being a blessing in disguise for him. There were simply too many missing pieces as a result of injuries, opt outs, and a lack of preparation time for Tommy to have any semblance of a chance at success. Next year with a healthy roster and some reinforcements i think he lights it up. Most importantly its going to force Dino to take a hard look in the mirror. Super news on your Son. Hope you are doing well.

Thanks for putting these lists together ... really helpful to have all the position groups in one thread. But as to this LB group ... probably the biggest, fastest and deepest bunch I've seen at SU in 20 years. We've had some good ones, certainly Franklin and Bennett in '18 (with Richards, Shy and Guthrie behind them). But Jones, C-A, Thompson, Richards, Linton, Kpogba and Wax ... that's a bevy of quality guys ... with 3 more coming in. The future is bright. If only we could add a couple of big, nasty nose guards to keep the linemen off them, either by developing someone like Rondi (or down the road Fuentes and Geer) or adding 1-2 from GT/JUCO ranks. We're just flat out too small on the DL.
I know it's not the point of your post, but Bennett and Franklin were '17. They were one year ahead of Dungey and missed out on going bowling. They were part of the mash unit defense that fell apart the second half of that year and themselves limped to the finish line with nobody behind them to give them some rest.

To your point, I'm excited about this LB group. I hope we can keep/improve the line in front of them. I remember when we had some good linebackers on either '10 or '11 that were made to look bad when we couldn't keep them clean because we lost good lineman the year before.

If tommy is still the starter I think the ceiling is 5-6 wins. Need someone who can extend plays and not panic when the first option isn’t there.

Back to where this started, a great thread of information by Go. But you can't help but wonder how the transfer rule might completely blow this up, both comings and goings.

If the roster listed is relatively healthy, plus another year in the system, it's going to be really hard to defend it if we don't go to a bowl game next year. It should easily be the deepest team Dino has ever had.

I hope some of the OL injuries aren't longer term or lingering.

Injuries and transfers are going to continue to take a toll on this roster. No reason to believe otherwise given recent history. In particular, I could see us losing some of the younger WR's and DB's to the portal given the numbers at those positions.
I would be looking to add 2 WR, OL and DL via the transfer portal. I would also be beating the bushes for another QB.

Plenty of OL and WR talent out there in the portal. Need one WR at least and 2 lineman imo. Servais has been abused all year so I wouldn’t mind bringing in a Tackle and let them compete for it.

I’d like to see Illaoa at C/G next year and Vett can play the other. Then slide Bleich at the other G spot.

Great write up
I have a feeling this off season is going to be wild and we will have lots to talk about next spring/summer.

Football is a grind, and your body takes a beating, and it's no fun if you're not winning.

I would be surprised if everyone returns.

I would come back considering the real world isn't exactly the beacon of hope and prosperity right now. If these kids can leverage graduate school with another year of playing a kid's game, living for free, etc that's a huge win.

I think the optionality of removing one self from the covid world to live in college fantasy world is going to be an attractive option to anyone. If my son had the option to do that, i'd tell him to get a graduate degree (or work towards one) and play another season.

I would come back considering the real world isn't exactly the beacon of hope and prosperity right now. If these kids can leverage graduate school with another year of playing a kid's game, living for free, etc that's a huge win.

I think the optionality of removing one self from the covid world to live in college fantasy world is going to be an attractive option to anyone. If my son had the option to do that, i'd tell him to get a graduate degree (or work towards one) and play another season.
Yep

I'm not as worried about WR. The big kids from FL in the incoming class, combined with what's in the pipeline should be fine with more blocking and a better running game. I don't know how anyone could get a read on Queely this early in his career, given the asterisks all over this season for example.

Harris is a beast and will continue to get better.

(I keep all the scoffing at Custis in my back pocket at all times. Guy was written off by a lot of folks and turned up his last year)

I think Tommy is going to light it up next year. Sitting for the remaining games should help with the nightmares he has been put through.

A silver lining for sure, but the opportunity to observe and be on a headset with his OC during games might not be all bad.

I mean, how could you forget zero point zero (or the two pencils stuck in his nose)?
Didn’t he have the pencils in his nose while Dean Werner said to him “fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son”? That was one of the best lines I the movie!

I think the OL could actually be pretty strong next year. We would add Bleich, and assuming Servais comes back, Bleich/D. Davis/Vettorello/Bergeron/Servais is a pretty solid starting unit. If we subbed one of them out for a high end Grad Transfer, we could realistically have a top 3-4 starting unit in the ACC which is pretty remarkable considering where we've been.

The next layer would include Tisdale, IIaoa and Red which gives us some flexibility, and plus with the 5 freshman coming in...I think things could really turn around here.

Servais was pretty good two years ago. Have you seen any games since then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom