Looking ahead to Selection Sunday | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to Selection Sunday

Marsh01

Living Legend
Still in a pretty good position for a one seed.

Assuming Florida-Wichita and Arizona all are getting one seeds here are a few ways this could play out.

Kansas - if they get the last one seed and we finish ahead of Duke on the curve then we would more than likely get the 2 seed in the East behind Kansas.

Right now Duke-Syracuse and Virginia are all pretty much on the 2 seed line (Virginia in some projections are on the three but for the sake of this argument lets say they are on the 2 line). If we all finish on the 2 line then that more than likely would mean one would go South one would go East and one would go West.

Its pretty important that we finish ahead of Duke and or Virginia. If we dont then they would more than likely get the 2 seed in the east. More importantly is that we cant afford Duke and or Virginia to possibly grab that last one seed from us (or Kansas) otherwise we are cooked for MSG.

Rooting for Maryland to beat Virginia is a must. Also UNC beating Duke next Saturday night. This would really help us.

Of course we have to win our last 2 games and the first game in the ACC tourney to put ourselves in a position where this all comes into play.

The more I think about it the more I realize that Syracuse has zero chance of going to Memphis it would seem. UVA or Duke are almost 100% locks to be in that South Region as a 2 seed . The only question is whether or not the team (Duke or UVA) NOT sent to Memphis screws SU out of NYC. Bottom line is the Cuse is going either to NYC, Anaheim or Indy.

I know that they have harder schedules but its kind of bs that these teams with 5-7 losses are getting considered for a one seed over us with 3 losses provided we win out.

I know that they have harder schedules but its kind of bs that these teams with 5-7 losses are getting considered for a one seed over us with 3 losses provided we win out.
Me and my dad were just having this exact conversation. I could understand it if they had like one more loss than use but they have 4 more losses than us! It some point that argument starts to grow stale.

Distance from Charlottesville to: Memphis, TN 756 miles (south regional)
New York City 342 miles (east regional)

IMO if UVa wins the ACCT they will get seeded #2 in MSG which locks Cuse out.
If Duke wins out and wins the ACCT they will be either #1 or #2 in MSG.
While there are still games to be played and there are a lot of variables, our best shot of getting placed in MSG is to either win the ACCT or hope that some team other than UVa or Duke wins it.

Will the committee factor in Grant be injured for a few games?

It looks like we'll see Duke Saturday in the ACC semi's barring any upsets. Win that game and we'll get a 1 seed (I'm assuming we beat FSU and GaTech)

Not sure why you are not mentioning Wisconsin in the #1 seed discussion.

They win-out and the 1 seed is likely Wisconsin.

It looks like we'll see Duke Saturday in the ACC semi's barring any upsets. Win that game and we'll get a 1 seed (I'm assuming we beat FSU and GaTech)

FSU is going to be a very challenging game - we should win, but I imagine it being highly competitive like Wake Forest and Maryland were.

FSU is clearly on the bubble. Huge game for them. Just our luck.

jncuse said:
Not sure why you are not mentioning Wisconsin in the #1 seed discussion. They win-out and the 1 seed is likely Wisconsin.

Because i think they have too many teams to jump over.

My belief (as I have mentioned a few times) is that we are very likely to lose MSG if Duke/Virginia win the ACC tourney.

If Syracuse or UNC win the ACC tounrey, we will get MSG. Roy is our friend next 2 weeks. (and hopefully he can take out Duke this week as well, to knock Duke out of the discussion before Greensboro)

Last edited:
cuseguy said:
FSU is clearly on the bubble. Huge game for them. Just our luck.

Root like hell for bc against them this week

Because i think they have too many teams to jump over.

Mot much difference between Syracuse, Kansas and Wisconsin resume's as of today. If both Syracuse and Kansas do not win out and Wisconsin wins the B10 they get the #1 seed.

Wisconsin is ahead of Virginia and Duke. If they win out, Virginia and Duke cannot catch them.

Mot much difference between Syracuse, Kansas and Wisconsin resume's as of today. If both Syracuse and Kansas do not win out and Wisconsin wins the B10 they get the #1 seed.

Wisconsin is ahead of Virginia and Duke. If they win out, Virginia and Duke cannot catch them.

I agree with that. The B10 should seed out very well, and they are the best of the bunch. Hopefully Penn St can man up right now

FSU is going to be a very challenging game - we should win, but I imagine it being highly competitive like Wake Forest and Maryland were.
I agree, I'm defintiely not assuming we will for sure win that one. But if we lost to FSU that should knock us out of #1 seed contention.

Will the committee factor in Grant be injured for a few games?
Grant's injury could also be a negative, if his return to 100% is still in question. The committee seeds based upon the team you have next Sunday, not the one you had at some earlier point in the season.

We don't have enough of a cushion anymore to stave off Duke/UVA should they win out and win ACC Tourney.

I think they would get a #1 over us since we wouldn't own a reg season title or ACC Tourney title.

Standings mean not as much as people think.
2006-2007 Big East Syracuse finishes above Villanova split with Villanova in the regular season, both got eliminated in the Big East quarterfinals at the BET. Nova-NCAA, SU-NIT. Conference schedules are analyzed by the committee.
Georgetown13-330-7
Pittsburgh12-429-8
Louisville12-424-10
Notre Dame11-524-8
Marquette10-624-10
Syracuse10-624-11
West Virginia9-727-9
Villanova9-722-11
DePaul9-720-14
Providence8-818-13
St. John's7-916-15
Connecticut6-1017-14
Seton Hall4-1213-16
South Florida3-1312-18
Rutgers3-1310-19
Cincinnati2-1411-19

This year SEC's standing
Florida16-027-2
Kentucky11-521-8
Georgia10-616-12
Arkansas9-720-9
Tennessee9-718-11
Missouri8-820-9
LSU8-817-11
Texas A&M8-817-12
Ole Miss8-817-12
Vanderbilt7-915-13
Alabama6-1012-17
Auburn5-1113-14
South Carolina4-1211-18
Mississippi State3-1313-16
Georgia is in 3rd place and has no chance for an at-large bid while Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, LSU all have chances.

As long as we go 2-0 this week we are fine for a 1 seed. Wisconsin doesn't play a game @Michigan State, or @Ohio State. Most top teams have a What loss. Northwestern is 12-17 and won AT THE KOHL Center in Wisconsin. BC is 8-21 versus 12-17 and yet nobody is saying Wisconsin can't be a 1 seed. The negativity is getting extreme and unbearable on here.

Don't understand how Kansas could possibly be ahead of Syracuse on the seeding or duke... Both have DOUBLED syracuses loss totals while Syracuse also has a boatload of Signature wins

Don't understand how Kansas could possibly be ahead of Syracuse on the seeding or duke... Both have DOUBLED syracuses loss totals while Syracuse also has a boatload of Signature wins
Lunardi is trolling SU fans because of the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 crap where JB gave him some crap.
Kansas should be above Wichita State. KU beat Duke in Chicago, played San Diego State, @Colorado, @Florida, Villanova and lost, and beat New Mexico and Georgetown. Play in the toughest round robin conference. Their schedule is insane and honestly the best I have ever seen a modern college team play. Syracuse is above Kansas now, but if KU won the Big XII they would probably pass us unless we won the ACCT.

Kansas@ WVU next Saturday is a game I think KU will lose as well. WVU played them tough @KU.

Lunardi is trolling SU fans because of the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 crap where JB gave him some crap.
Kansas should be above Wichita State. KU beat Duke in Chicago, played San Diego State, @Colorado, @Florida, Villanova and lost, and beat New Mexico and Georgetown. Play in the toughest round robin conference. Their schedule is insane and honestly the best I have ever seen a modern college team play. Syracuse is above Kansas now, but if KU won the Big XII they would probably pass us unless we won the ACCT.

Kansas@ WVU next Saturday is a game I think KU will lose as well. WVU played them tough @KU.
Insane or not they still have seven losses.. Not like Syracuse is exactly playing cupcakes either... Agree their schedule is unreal but if you lose 8+ games you should not be considered as a one... Period

As long as we go 2-0 this week we are fine for a 1 seed. Wisconsin doesn't play a game @Michigan State, or @Ohio State. Most top teams have a What loss. Northwestern is 12-17 and won AT THE KOHL Center in Wisconsin. BC is 8-21 versus 12-17 and yet nobody is saying Wisconsin can't be a 1 seed. The negativity is getting extreme and unbearable on here.

Alsacs, what are your thoughts on the following:

Syracuse vs Wisconsin

I agree we are ahead now and entering conference tourney if we go 2-0. And the one good thing for us vs, them, is that nobody can use BC against us. Both teams have their "BC" moment.

But if we lose in conference semi's or final and Wisconsin wins B10, who do you think would be higher on the s-curve?

Wisconsin and Kansass

Who is ahead in your view if both lose in conference tournament. Basically, is Kansas really ahead of Wisconsin right now. I think it's pretty close.

If Wisconsin wins B10, and Kansas loses B12, in my view it is clearly Wisconsin ahead of Kansas on s-curve, Your opinion?

Kansas and Wichita St

I agree it's silly to have Kansas as a #1 with 7 losses as of today. They could well get the #1 seed with 7 losses, with other's losing around them the next two weeks... but as of today, no.

But here is my point on these 2 teams. If one believes Kansas is a strong #1 team as of now, it is really based on that ridiculous SOS. If SOS is that important to you rather than record, than choosing Wichita St as a #1 is inconsistent. You can't go both ways.

My thought on Wichita St have loosened
- I have defended the notion of many teams would also be undefeated with that schedule (and still will)... simple luck is the main reason. Most teams suffer bad losses one or two times a year, and its pretty random
- Wichita St may be as good as those other #1's... they may not be... it's a mystery. I think they are a top 8 level team in the country, but it is a guess.
- But whatever one's thoughts are on the above, they do not impact your resume. One simply can't defend Wichita St as a #1,. The 4 #1 seeds, are not always the 4 best teams, but instead the teams's with the 4 best resumes (and I know you won't disagree with that).

I have always assumed that Wichita St would be a #1 if undefeated, and I still think they will, but I have reduced the likelihood. We simply don't know what the committee will do. We have no precedent what a "0" will make them do, although I suspect it will blind them from the normal measures . But with Kansas in the #1 seed discussion, the SOS and top 50 games will be discussed a lot. That should hurt Wichita St in the room.

Kansas has 12 wins vs top 50 rpi while Wisconsin only has 8 and Kansas sos is #1 while Wisconsin is 130 so I have Kansas ahead by a good amount. We have to make acc semi's to be in good shape for a 1 seed(along with a 2-0 week this week).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom