Looking ahead to Selection Sunday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to Selection Sunday

That loss at Duke which meant nothing, sure looks like it might mean something.
If the committee takes a 6 or 7 loss team as a 1 over a 4 loss team because they lost at dook...well that's Fn pathetic.

Won't happen.

Standings mean not as much as people think.
2006-2007 Big East Syracuse finishes above Villanova split with Villanova in the regular season, both got eliminated in the Big East quarterfinals at the BET. Nova-NCAA, SU-NIT. Conference schedules are analyzed by the committee.
Georgetown13-330-7
Pittsburgh12-429-8
Louisville12-424-10
Notre Dame11-524-8
Marquette10-624-10
Syracuse10-624-11
West Virginia9-727-9
Villanova9-722-11
DePaul9-720-14
Providence8-818-13
St. John's7-916-15
Connecticut6-1017-14
Seton Hall4-1213-16
South Florida3-1312-18
Rutgers3-1310-19
Cincinnati2-1411-19

This year SEC's standing
Florida16-027-2
Kentucky11-521-8
Georgia10-616-12
Arkansas9-720-9
Tennessee9-718-11
Missouri8-820-9
LSU8-817-11
Texas A&M8-817-12
Ole Miss8-817-12
Vanderbilt7-915-13
Alabama6-1012-17
Auburn5-1113-14
South Carolina4-1211-18
Mississippi State3-1313-16
Georgia is in 3rd place and has no chance for an at-large bid while Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, LSU all have chances.

As long as we go 2-0 this week we are fine for a 1 seed. Wisconsin doesn't play a game @Michigan State, or @Ohio State. Most top teams have a What loss. Northwestern is 12-17 and won AT THE KOHL Center in Wisconsin. BC is 8-21 versus 12-17 and yet nobody is saying Wisconsin can't be a 1 seed. The negativity is getting extreme and unbearable on here.
Your point is a good one, but your choice of year to illustrate it is weak. That 2007 field was a cluster. Illinois, Purdue and Stanford should not have been chosen before the Orange (or Drexel, for that matter).

Last edited:
If the committee takes a 6 or 7 loss team as a 1 over a 4 loss team because they lost at dook...well that's Fn pathetic.

Won't happen.

This the same committee that voted us out in 2007 after everyone assured us that we were in? :mad:

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Last edited:
Kansas has 12 wins vs top 50 rpi while Wisconsin only has 8 and Kansas sos is #1 while Wisconsin is 130 so I have Kansas ahead by a good amount. We have to make acc semi's to be in good shape for a 1 seed(along with a 2-0 week this week).

1. Where are you getting Wisconsin SOS as #130. . Wisconsin SOS is #2 in the country, right behind Kansas at #1. The OOC SOS was also #9, which was the second best amongst the pod contenders... after Kansas. Both have great schedules.

2. I only have Kansas with 11 top 50 wins (11-7 vs top 50), and I have Wisconsin with 8 top 50 wins (8-4 vs top 50). And Green Bay is currently #51, so it could be 9 for Wisconsin at any moment.

In terms of elite top 25 wins:, it's a draw at 5, and Wisconsin is 5-2 vs Kansas at 5-4.

I just don't see a big difference between the two.

Your point is a good one, but your choice of year to illustrate it is weak. That 2007 field was a cluster. Illinois, Purdue and Stanford should not have been chosen before the Orange (or Drexel, for that matter).

Stanford and Arkansas had no business getting in that year.

It looks like we'll see Duke Saturday in the ACC semi's barring any upsets. Win that game and we'll get a 1 seed (I'm assuming we beat FSU and GaTech)

If Duke beats UNC at home, which I believe they will, that semi final game will be for the highest seed in the East unless UVA wins out and wins the tourney.

I think the ACC champ - if it's SU, Duke, or Virginia - will get rewarded with the one seed in the east.

At the end of the day, the NCAA is going to make sure they can make the most money, which is why SU would still be a possibility to be in the East even as a #2.

Won't happen.

Exactly.

We have one bad loss all season. The other two were on the road against two top-10 teams. Those are expected.

The committee DOES take into consideration injuries. Playing the second half without Grant will be considered when talking about margin of loss. We were up 1 at halftime with him, BTW.

Most important thing is to get Grant healthy. If he's not healthy none of this will matter.

At the end of the day, the NCAA is going to make sure they can make the most money, which is why SU would still be a possibility to be in the East even as a #2.
Something to consider.

Isn't MSG already sold out for the regional?

Since the tickets are all sold out, the hotels and restaurant owners might prefer teams other than Syracuse since a certain % of Cuse fans live in the Tri-State area. If you are coming from say Louisville, you will stay in a hotel and wine and dine for three days. If you live locally you wouldn't.

The NCAA doesn't profit from hotels and restaurants, but ticket sales, merchandise and tv ratings/media exposure are other factors to consider. MSG might be sold out already, but SU playing in MSG is a bigger story than most schools.

If they win their games this week, Duke, Virginia or the Cuse would probably capture the 1 seed in the east by winning the league tournament. I think one of those ACC schools that falls short in Greensboro might end up getting shipped out to the west as a 2 seed. Just don't see a 2 seed from the conference being a lock for the south right now. Its going to be fun watching how things unfold.

Go Cuse!

Kansas has 12 wins vs top 50 rpi while Wisconsin only has 8 and Kansas sos is #1 while Wisconsin is 130 so I have Kansas ahead by a good amount. We have to make acc semi's to be in good shape for a 1 seed(along with a 2-0 week this week).
I think we have to reach the ACC finals to have a chance and that may not be enough if we lose, depending on who we are playing.

I think we have to reach the ACC finals to have a chance and that may not be enough if we lose, depending on who we are playing.

Disagree - if we win two games this week and make the finals, we'll have a 30-4 record heading into NCAA Tournament. That's #1 seed-worthy.

I think as long as we win the next two, and don't lose in the first round of the acct we are in good shape

Disagree - if we win two games this week and make the finals, we'll have a 30-4 record heading into NCAA Tournament. That's #1 seed-worthy.
If we play Virginia for the championship and lose they will get the 1.

If we play Virginia for the championship and lose they will get the 1.

If Wisconsin and Virginia each end up 29-5 by winning conference titles. why would Virginia get the #1 seed over Wisconsin?

Especially since Wisconsin won at Virginia and had a tougher schedule.

If Wisconsin and Virginia each end up 29-5 by winning conference titles. why would Virginia get the #1 seed over Wisconsin?

Especially since Wisconsin won at Virginia and had a tougher schedule.
That might be a coin toss, but the committee loves teams that finish strong. If Virginia goes out all the way they've sure done that.

You better hope the team on the four line can beat UVA because we are a horrible matchup with them. I don't see us beating them. I think our chances of a 1 are slim and none.

You better hope the team on the four line can beat UVA because we are a horrible matchup with them. I don't see us beating them.
Kind of like g'town last year going into the BET

That might be a coin toss, but the committee loves teams that finish strong. If Virginia goes out all the way they've sure done that.

Wisconsin would have 12 wins in a row as well.

Currently have 9 top 50 wins vs 4 top 50 wins
Wisconsin won at Virginia

Not a coin toss.

You better hope the team on the four line can beat UVA because we are a horrible matchup with them. I don't see us beating them. I think our chances of a 1 are slim and none.

You don't see us beating them?! We were up by 1 at halftime and played the second half without one of our most important players!

The doom and gloom around here is amazing. Virginia is good, but certainly not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom