Looking at 2020 recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Looking at 2020 recruiting

Alsacs

Living Legend
How the heck don’t we have a commit for PF/C position for next year?
I mean it’s so obvious looking at this team our biggest weakness is the middle.
We need help there. So it makes no sense aren’t recruiting the position harder.
We don’t even have any scholarships open for next year to upgrade the position without more player movement.
It’s not hard to see why people are frustrated. It’s not about this season. It’s the future.

We don’t even have any scholarships open for next year to upgrade the position without more player movement.
It’s not hard to see why people are frustrated. It’s not about this season. It’s the future.
Maybe when we missed on IJ, a five star big, we didn’t have a backup plan because there’s no need for another developmental guy at that spot right now. The staff sees Edwards and JBA everyday in practice and if they are confident that they’ll be contributors next year and/or beyond there’s not a pressing need for another guy at that spot who isn’t a game changer from day one.

Maybe when we missed on IJ, a five star big, we didn’t have a backup plan because there’s no need for another developmental guy at that spot right now. The staff sees Edwards and JBA everyday in practice and if they are confident that they’ll be contributors next year and/or beyond there’s not a pressing need for another guy at that spot who isn’t a game changer from day one.
So let’s hope JBA and Edwards improve for next year.
Okay.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

So let’s hope JBA and Edwards improve for next year.
Okay.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
We’re not going to magically be in the running for an elite 2020 big at this point so if the staff is confident in how the guys we have now are developing there isn’t a need to bring another center in if there’s other spots to fill with the scholarships we have available.

Bringing in another project big would fit your insanity argument so I would guess the focus has shifted to trying to snag a high level 2021 center. I’m with you on the frustration in general but I guess I have a more optimistic view on Edwards.

We’re not going to magically be in the running for an elite 2020 big at this point so if the staff is confident in how the guys we have now are developing there isn’t a need to bring another center in if there’s other spots to fill with the scholarships we have available.

Bringing in another project big would fit your insanity argument so I would guess the focus has shifted to trying to snag a high level 2021 center. I’m with you on the frustration in general but I guess I have a more optimistic view on Edwards.

its a solid point. Im sure we went hard at guys early in the cycle. Maybe we should hire a big man coach.

Rak, Fab, AO, Ricky...none of them were ready as freshmen, but none of them had to be. We have no seniors and our best forward is a guard.

Newton is a quality forward who can play and Richmond is a quality guard with size and athleticism. Our freshmen will be sophomores and should all be better. This year will be the bottom and things will get better from here.

If I were a big I'd expect to be coached by a big man coach.
things will be worse next year. Our star player will be history.

Predictable as clockwork. You are ignoring the reality of perceptions. I am not Nostradamus but I'll bet my fortune that Ewing attracts big boy recruits. Read what I said carefully. The expectation of a big man is not to be tutored by midgets. It is just reality. You can make all the arguments you want but the truth is that you are going against the grain and lack of a big man coach is making recruiting bigs more difficult, especially now that our program is in free fall. When you are successful you have room for error; the program sell itself. That is no longer the case.

I believe we need a big man to coach the big men, because they can show bigs how to play in the post, they can get out there and bang with them.

Post moving are like jump shots they don't leave you, bigs can't play anymore when they can't run the floor.

I believe we need a big man to coach the big men, because they can show bigs how to play in the post, they can get out there and bang with them.

Post moving are like jump shots they don't leave you, bigs can't play anymore when they can't run the floor.
I think ppl who complain about this area actually have a legitimate beef. I’ve been disappointed with our players low post moves in the past 6/7 years, really since Rak. If you watch UNC play everyone one of their big men is capable of making a baby hook shot and has very solid pivot skills. It’s something that bothers me about this staff and something I’d like to see improved on. How come this isn’t the go to move for every single big guy. I’m also very unimpressed with their footwork.

I think ppl who complain about this area actually have a legitimate beef. I’ve been disappointed with our players low post moves in the past 6/7 years, really since Rak. If you watch UNC play everyone one of their big men is capable of making a baby hook shot and has very solid pivot skills. It’s something that bothers me about this staff and something I’d like to see improved on. How come this isn’t the go to move for every single big guy. I’m also very unimpressed with their footwork.
I've been saying hire Hak since he retired then unretired...great footwork, he didn't overpower people he used skill. I don't think he is playing right now.

He could have a title like what Devo had, so no coach has to leave.

They leave you as you get older and the footwork isn't there - but that's a weekend warrior comment.

Big today seem to be more shooters than on the block guys.

That being said our recruiting here is lacking.

I've been saying hire Hak since he retired then unretired...great footwork, he didn't overpower people he used skill. I don't think he is playing right now.

Rob Kurz says hello.

I’d be all for that but if I’m not mistaken Hak lives in Philly right? Plus there’s no guarantee he would want to do it either. But I love the idea.

I’d be all for that but if I’m not mistaken Hak lives in Philly right? Plus there’s no guarantee he would want to do it either. But I love the idea.
I have no idea, but if he wants to continue his career in basketball why not... relocating and travel is simply apart of basketball.

Ajok, Edwards, Sid.

How many scholarships do you think we have?

Shame that Marek at the 5 is what we are most likely to see as one of those three will sit for whatever newcomer forces their way into the lineup.

Would be great to see him as part of the next staff.

I wouldn't want to join JB at this stage if I were a former player. The next coach is going to want fresh blood so I'd be dusting off my resume to send to whomever gets the job but none of our current assistants should be retained TBH. We are going to need a change. All our guys will be fine they'll either be a head coach D2 or drop to A10 and they had good runs here. Change is good.

in general you right about it being a weakness...

but there's a behind the scenes dialog between players and schools...

the players arent just signing up with no idea of what role they will have, etc...they KNOW beforehand...

especially the players that are good enough to start from day 1 at a place like SU...the kind of player that is needed...the kind of player that is not just sitting around idly without any attention. (though, on the other hand, it DOES seem sooo many schools have better bigs than SU has had in recent seasons...what a yurtseven could do for this squad...)

even the players who know they arent gauranteed a spot but come anyway...have a bit of a gaurantee as well...

the schools feel an obligation to those players, i think...and they should...they shouldnt just look at them like mercenaries but human beings...

JB gives all of his players usually at least 1 season as a starter eventually...hes pretty loyal on that and i think it is a good thing...so, recruiting over players on your roster is not as easy as it may seem at times,,,,the human element is at play as well

but you are right...that is a key area of need

Anybody can coach any position. How big do you think Pete Newell was?
True, but here are at least three parts to the formula. 1) if that coach is actually good at coaching that position. I haven’t seen any indication that we are doing a bang up job in that respect; 2) I would think that having actual experience doing a thing would be an advantage, vs theoretical knowledge. A guard telling someone what to do is akin to knowing what to do but perhaps not being able to do it. There’s a difference; and 3) a recruit has no idea how good or bad our big man coach would be if he signed with us, but he has a sense of either confidence in him or a lack of confidence, to some level or degree. Getting the better player is maybe more important than teaching the lesser player.

So, how much confidence do we have, and why do we have it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom