Looking at 2020 recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at 2020 recruiting

If I were a big I'd expect to be coached by a big man coach.
things will be worse next year. Our star player will be history.

What schools have big man coaches that were actual big men? And what kind of success are they having? Who are these great big man coaches?

I don’t think it’s a priority for most programs.

I looked at the top centers from this past year and the schools they picked. Memphis, Washington, Duke, Carolina, Texas, Arizona, Oregon, USC, Gonzaga, Illinois, West Virginia and Florida.

Could be wrong, but I’m guessing all of those schools have former guards coaching the big men.

Last edited:
It kind of seems like because SU struggles to find a big guy that can be effective down low that to break the thought pattern of no success they need a player that can score in the paint but since they can't it looks like the coaches can't coach it, yes? To add to that, SU's offensive system seems to be one that never looks to get the ball inside so why in the world would an inside 4/5 want to go there?

It seems to be of a system of "Hey, you want points? Grab some offensive rebounds then because you ain't getting the ball otherwise.".

Now that said, Edwards has some wonderful hands and footwork but he had that BEFORE coming to SU. Sid was better his freshmen year than now but we don't know how much his knee has to do with that but still...even a bad knee doesn't stop you from learning to catch a ball.

Also, a lot of 4's may not want to play 5 and since Boeheim recruits skinny kids for the 5 the stronger 4 may get thrown into playing the 5 because of his strength and foul trouble and thus is not interested in going there.

Just seems like a lot of reasons to me on why ACC ready 4/5's don't want to go there.

Jesse Edwards is going to be one of the best 5's to ever play at Syracuse. Baswell could get a serious shot at the 3, it's looking that way.

What schools have big man coaches that were actual big men? And what kind of success are they having? Who are these great big man coaches?

I looked at the top centers from this past year and the schools they picked. Memphis, Washington, Duke, Carolina, Texas, Arizona, Oregon, USC, Gonzaga, Illinois, West Virginia and Florida.

Could be wrong, but I’m guessing all of those schools have former guards coaching the big men.
I'm guessing this is one. Success? Not sure yet.

Coaching specs:
Guard coach must be between 5'7" and 6'3"
Forward coach must be between 6'4" and 6'8" with a vertical jump of 36" or greater
Big man coach must be 6'9" plus
Head coach must be a size 7 and 3/4 or larger
It's just natural! :)

Coaching specs:
Guard coach must be between 5'7" and 6'3"
Forward coach must be between 6'4" and 6'8" with a vertical jump of 36" or greater
Big man coach must be 6'9" plus
Head coach must be a size 7 and 3/4 or larger
It's just natural! :)
We're talking SU hoops. Guard coach should be 6'4" to 6'6".

Asst. Coaches should all wear glasses, stroke their nose and wave their arms.

I'm guessing this is one. Success? Not sure yet.

May is the director of basketball operations. He’s not an assistant coach.

by the way, Bill Guthridge was UNC’s big man coach for 30 years, and got tremendous results. He’s a 5-10 former guard. Who knew a 5-10 guard could teach big men?

”Guthridge’s impact at Chapel Hill had always been quiet, and it went on long before he became the head coach. He was the Tar Heels’ shooting coach, and it isn’t a coincidence that UNC at one point shot better than 50% from the floor for 18 consecutive seasons with Guthridge on the sidelines. He was also the big man coach, and it is wonderfully ironic to note that stars from Mitch Kupchak to Sam Perkins to Brad Daugherty to Eric Montross to Rasheed Wallace to Brendan Haywood owe at least some of their success to a man who didn’t top six feet tall.”

Last edited:

by the way, Bill Guthridge was UNC’s big man coach for 30 years, and got tremendous results. He’s a 5-10 former guard. Who knew a 5-10 guard could teach big men?

”Guthridge’s impact at Chapel Hill had always been quiet, and it went on long before he became the head coach. He was the Tar Heels’ shooting coach, and it isn’t a coincidence that UNC at one point shot better than 50% from the floor for 18 consecutive seasons with Guthridge on the sidelines. He was also the big man coach, and it is wonderfully ironic to note that stars from Mitch Kupchak to Sam Perkins to Brad Daugherty to Eric Montross to Rasheed Wallace to Brendan Haywood owe at least some of their success to a man who didn’t top six feet tall.”
You argue just to argue. People have a right to be frustrated with this program and the coach in charge of the program.
Our recruiting has stagnated.
We have the oldest HC in the nation.
We are the easiest team in the nation to prepare for.
If people weren’t complaining that would send a bigger message in apathy.
You just fight to fight it’s embarrassing.
I get stuff wrong I admit it. I wish our HC would. The truth sets you free.

It's kind of funny how many here think you have to have a former big man to coach big men. Most good coaches, from JV through NBA, can teach any position on the floor.
Having played the position helps, no question, but it is not a prerequistte to coaching the position.

Wait, do you not think he actually coaches as well?

It's kind of funny how many here think you have to have a former big man to coach big men. Most good coaches, from JV through NBA, can teach any position on the floor.
Having played the position helps, no question, but it is not a prerequistte to coaching the position.
One thing that big men seem to understand that guards never do is where to pass the actual ball. Big men want the ball exactly where their 'show' hand is. If I've got my hand up high, and you bounce the ball to me, it's TO on you. I told you where I want the ball and you ignored the directions.

I want a coach who teaches the guards that.

You argue just to argue. People have a right to be frustrated with this program and the coach in charge of the program.

Bro...I didn’t respond to you. I responded to the posters that said we need a big man coach. It’s simply not true. Most programs don‘t use a former big man to teach their post players. If you disagree show me why. You can even write it in another sonnet And drink some Scotch.

Wait, do you not think he actually coaches as well?

Does he? I know Bill Guthridge was their big man coach for years, which tells me it’s not important to have a big man teaching big men.

Does he? I know Bill Guthridge was their big man coach for years, which tells me it’s not important to have a big man teaching big men.
Words, words words, words. words.

One thing that big men seem to understand that guards never do is where to pass the actual ball. Big men want the ball exactly where their 'show' hand is. If I've got my hand up high, and you bounce the ball to me, it's TO on you. I told you where I want the ball and you ignored the directions.

I want a coach who teaches the guards that.
I hear you. But I can tell you from experience that the coach that works with the guards drills the guards how to make entry passes to the low post. Some of how those passes are made depend on the position the post has established and how the defender is playing the post. It sounds subtle, but it makes a big difference.

Looks like he wore many hats.

As an assistant, Guthridge was renowned for his success in coaching the fundamentals of pivot play to a long series of successful UNC big men, and as the Tar Heels' primary shooting coach.

I hear you. But I can tell you from experience that the coach that works with the guards drills the guards how to make entry passes to the low post. Some of how those passes are made depend on the position the post has established and how the defender is playing the post. It sounds subtle, but it makes a big difference.

As long as you put the ball where I want it, I'll catch the pass. If you overthink it and try to lead me based on what you think you may see, chances are high the pass won't make the mark.

Or you could be like our guards, look directly at the big man, then pass back to the top.

Maybe when we missed on IJ, a five star big, we didn’t have a backup plan because there’s no need for another developmental guy at that spot right now. The staff sees Edwards and JBA everyday in practice and if they are confident that they’ll be contributors next year and/or beyond there’s not a pressing need for another guy at that spot who isn’t a game changer from day one.

No, we had a back-up plan to Stewart. We went after several other guys.

Agree that recruiting has trended down but to say that we are the easiest team in the nation to prepare for is beyond rediculous. Our recent tournament success proves differently as some of our opponents have had fits with the 2-3 zone.

I'll leave you guys to your fight now.

I'm sure he pitches in on coaching, but as far as I know, Steve Robinson coaches the big men at UNC

Thanks. Article I just read says that Robinson "mainly works with the UNC guards, and he was crucial to the development of Ray Felton, Ty Lawson and Kendall Marshall." Could be he transitioned to bigs.

Tough to find a quick link to show who coaches big men around the country.

I did find this one.

Words, words words, words. words.

If you have any words that support your point, let’s see them. Maybe find out if Sean May has responsibility for coaching the bigs at UNC. Maybe he does. I doubt it. Think it’s Hubert Davis, but could be wrong. Someone other than Sean May has been doing it since Bill Guthridge. Let us know who it Is.

Great. You found 1. A 6-7 Forward. Two inches taller than Hopkins. :)

And his squads typically lead the nation in rebounding... I'd take a coach who could help us with that in a NY minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom