Looking at 2020 recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at 2020 recruiting

And his squads typically lead the nation in rebounding... I'd take a coach who could help us with that in a NY minute.

Then we should hire Dwayne Stephens? I don’t think he’s coming.

As long as you put the ball where I want it, I'll catch the pass. If you overthink it and try to lead me based on what you think you may see, chances are high the pass won't make the mark.

Or you could be like our guards, look directly at the big man, then pass back to the top.
I've been to many clinics and can tell you that the primary point of emphasis for the low post entry pass is always predicated on how the post is being defended (fronted, ¾, left hip, right hip, pinned behind) and where the help side D is coming from.

Then we should hire Dwayne Stephens? I don’t think he’s coming.

Maybe someone who has been interested in rebounding at some point in the past.

How long can you keep this up? I'm here until 3 or so.

I've been to many clinics and can tell you that the primary point of emphasis for the low post entry pass is always predicated on how the post is being defended (fronted, ¾, left hip, right hip, pinned behind) and where the help side D is coming from.
Sounds like a guard running those clinics.

I kid. I've just seen so many terrible passes over the years. I also see big men running the high low, especially like UNC used to run, and those passes always are directly to the show hand.

Maybe someone who has been interested in rebounding at some point in the past.

How long can you keep this up? I'm here until 3 or so.

btw...JB is something like 4-1 or 5-1 against Izzo. :)

I’ve made my point. Every time someone brings up the big man thing I point to all the other programs that don’t have one that’s an actual big man. The fact that you can find only one made my point.

Sounds like a guard running those clinics.

I kid. I've just seen so many terrible passes over the years. I also see big men running the high low, especially like UNC used to run, and those passes always are directly to the show hand.
Ha! Maybe you're right about the guards running the clinic! Seriously though, this is the way it's taught. I'm guessing you are a big man when you played...

Ha! Maybe you're right about the guards running the clinic! Seriously though, this is the way it's taught. I'm guessing you are a big man when you played...
In my youth. Turns out a 6'1 big man isn't super valuable anymore, so I play guard now. And I ALWAYS put the ball where the big man wants it. Unless I see a help side defender the big man doesn't see. Like you were saying.

Reactions: 007
btw...JB is something like 4-1 or 5-1 against Izzo. :)

I’ve made my point. Every time someone brings up the big man thing I point to all the other programs that don’t have one that’s an actual big man. The fact that you can find only one made my point.
My day is just getting started here. I'm sure I'll find others.

Agree that recruiting has trended down but to say that we are the easiest team in the nation to prepare for is beyond rediculous. Our recent tournament success proves differently as some of our opponents have had fits with the 2-3 zone.

I'll leave you guys to your fight now.
Preparation= teams we will play 100% zone on defense with a press when we are down.
On offense we play the same every game.

Talent makes a little difference. When we have the talent the zone is elite it doesn’t mean teams don’t know what we are doing. We don’t change.

When teams are getting torched in man to man they switch things up. When teams are getting torched in zone they switch things up.
Syracuse doesn’t hide what we are going to do it’s easy to prepare for. Do you have the talent to beat it. That is it.

I guess my point needed more detail for you.

No, we had a back-up plan to Stewart. We went after several other guys.
Sure but as the title indicates we’re talking about 2020 recruiting not 2019

In my youth. Turns out a 6'1 big man isn't super valuable anymore, so I play guard now. And I ALWAYS put the ball where the big man wants it. Unless I see a help side defender the big man doesn't see. Like you were saying.

So you’re saying that a person standing 6’1” can understand how big men think. Kinda submarines the argument that big men have a better feel for coaching big men, right? Unless, you somehow think you’re the only person on the planet standing under 6-7 who possesses this knowledge.

Not trying to pick on you, but this whole argument about how tall or what position coaches used to play is absurd.

The ability to teach and the ability to play are not nearly as related as people want to think.

So you’re saying that a person standing 6’1” can understand how big men think. Kinda submarines the argument that big men have a better feel for coaching big men, right? Unless, you somehow think you’re the only person on the planet standing under 6-7 who possesses this knowledge.

Not trying to pick on you, but this whole argument about how tall or what position coaches used to play is absurd.

The ability to teach and the ability to play are not nearly as related as people want to think.
I never said I was a good big man.

I think that any coach who has played the position that they are coaching is exponentially better prepared to teach than one who hasn't. There is no substitute for real experience. That doesn't mean that there are not great position coaches that never played the position as there are many of them. I just believe that its a huge advantage.

Did you find any others or did you give up the search like OJ did? :)
057A5EFF-F23A-48D1-9429-F756B941E0A8.gif

I know it was mentioned early how “we are the easiest team to prepare for.” But on the college Basketball subreddit there was a former ACC player who said preparing for Syracuse was one of the harder teams to do it for due to the fact they play a zone. Anecdotal but players seem to find it hard to prepare for.

Rak, Fab, AO, Ricky...none of them were ready as freshmen, but none of them had to be. We have no seniors and our best forward is a guard.

Newton is a quality forward who can play and Richmond is a quality guard with size and athleticism. Our freshmen will be sophomores and should all be better. This year will be the bottom and things will get better from here.

Think again. Next year will be the bottom. We lose Hughes and have no one who can replace his scoring load. JB’s best hope for a tourney invite will come in what looks to be his last year.

Think again. Next year will be the bottom. We lose Hughes and have no one who can replace his scoring load. JB’s best hope for a tourney invite will come in what looks to be his last year.
Don’t think so. We will be be better next year. Everyone is in panic mode but this is a super young team. Still hope for this year and next year the guards are better and Quincy and Edwards take big steps. Losing Hughes hurts but everywhere else we are stronger. Cuse!

Don’t think so. We will be be better next year. Everyone is in panic mode but this is a super young team. Still hope for this year and next year the guards are better and Quincy and Edwards take big steps. Losing Hughes hurts but everywhere else we are stronger. Cuse!

Highly unlikely.

About .500 this year.

Below .500 next year.

How do you go through your day with your sights set so low

I’m a realist.

Who picks up for Hughes’ scoring next year? Braswell? Newton?

Buddy is scoring about what we can expect. Girard may score a little more but not much. Same with Dolezaj. And we know we aren’t getting much from the center position.

Maybe Quincy scores a bit more, but probably not more to offset the loss of Hughes.

It’s just an honest perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom