Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota

There seem to be so many variables to this story, that applying a "business-as-usual" perspective doesn't really apply.
IMO, agree or disagree, the HC had no choice but to go "public" with his opinion. He was fielding questions everyday about an unprecedented and bold move by his own team- boycotting a bowl game?! Of course folks wanted to know the HC's take on things. The real question is whether he should've just dodged and said he had NO opinion, or copped-out with a "no comment" until clearing it with his bosses.
Considering his job security, and the already tenuous relationship he had with the Minny AD, he probably opted to just speak his mind and stand with his team. I admire him for that aspect of it, if he sincerely believed that the kids were doing the right thing in their eyes.
College demonstrations, whether for student rights, privileges, or varied causes, are not unusual. Its an idealistic time where young adults are learning to question authority and speak their minds. Whether misguided or not, they had the right to voice their opinion and/or utilize whatever leverage they had to make their point.
Claeys obviously felt the cause was just, and its an indication of how much of a dumpster fire Coyle exacerbated with how he reached his banning decision, that even the HC was willing to stand against him. Coyle's track record suggests he's allergic to passing along information to ALL relevant parties, before and after making decisions. He doesn't seem like an open book in communication. I'd bet the players felt blindsided by the banning decision, since they were given no background, context, or input before the decision was made by Coyle. That's BAD management on any level. If your students and/or employees feel they are not part of the decision, the "solution" if you will, they can often become part of the problem. Coyle's somewhat arbitrary management style, appears lacking. JMHO.

He had a choice. He choose poorly. The end.

Coyle did the right thing in firing Claeys.

It may cost him his job, but Penn State could have used someone with that amount of courage a decade ago.

Yes, he screwed us, but he did the right thing here.

And by the way, Kill will enter Minnesota's stadium again --the next time Rutgers visits Minnesota.

It may cost him his job, but Penn State could have used someone with that amount of courage a decade ago.

Yes, he screwed us, but he did the right thing here.

And by the way, Kill will enter Minnesota's stadium again --the next time Rutgers visits Minnesota.
Jerry Kill is in the sewer.

Coyle seems to have major communication issues:

1). Claimed initially that Claeys was involved in the decision to suspend players when he was not.

2) Had a meeting with players which we don't have details on, but the players felt he was obfuscating. Which is plausible because...

3) In his press conference he was intentionally unclear if Claeys was getting the buyout or the full value of the contract.

He has a longer history of communication issues as well.

Claeys had to go in this situation - but that doesn't change the fact the Coyle appears to be unable to communicate and/or is incredibly conflict averse. Simply saying Coyle did the right thing is only half the story - he's also exposed that he is not fit to be an athletic director at the P5 level through this process.

We dodged a bullet when he snuck out of the salt city for his "dream job".

I don't get why he thinks health wont be an issue at Rutgers? Is the OC position stress free as opposed to being a HC, I don't see this ending well.
Sure - when all you have to do is produce 1 field goal against the top 4 teams on your schedule to show that you've improved the offense - that's gotta be a pretty low stress opportunity :rolling:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying.

Some may recall many years ago when the NFL players went on strike - 1986? - and the NFL clubs utilized replacement players, Buddy Ryan of the Eagles told his team "either come back together or stay out" - he refused to actively coach the replacements, and made clear publicly his support for the players.

What he did infuriated the team owner, Norman Braman.

But it had an amazing impact on the players. They would do anything for Buddy. After the strike they were united and became the best young team in football.

The Cowboys on the other hand did not stay united during the strike and that really was the end of Tom Landry's time in Dallas.

So, Buddy showed tremendous leadership - he led his guys - but Braman never forgave him and at the end of the contract fired him without discussion.

So, yes, we are talking about different things.

A manager can be a "company man" and play it safe or he can be a true leader and lead his troops - and perhaps suffer the consequences.

If I had been Norman Braman, way back then, I would have ignored what Buddy did since it ultimately made no difference to me as an owner. I would have kept him because his actions dramatically improved the team and in the process made the Eagles one of the more high profile and valuable franchises in the League. Braman actually made huge money because of what Ryan did.

So, again, I'm not saying that the coach did the politically wise thing. I'm saying that he demonstrated real leadership and Coyle and his president failed to appreciate what a monstrous effect that could have on the football program - in the best sense.
I can't disagree with your post; however (and I lived in Philly during the Buddy era), if you honestly believe that you can't support management, you need to resign from the company.

I can't disagree with your post; however (and I lived in Philly during the Buddy era), if you honestly believe that you can't support management, you need to resign from the company.

Maybe so.

Did you think that what Buddy did was wrong back then?

Do you think that Buddy made the Eagles a much more valuable franchise?

My feeling is that Braman allowed his ego to get in the way. He had a gold mine of a coach. Everybody was talking about the Eagles back then - you either loved them or hated them. Everybody wanted to see them on TV.

In my opinion, Braman failed to appreciate what he had. So he fires Buddy and hires Kotite and the franchise moves the wrong way and Braman - hated by now in Philly - is essentially forced to sell the team.

So, yes, I understand what you're saying. But sometimes management should appreciate the subordinate's position and recognize that in the end the position could actually benefit management.

I think Coyle missed that in the case of the Minny HC.

Just my opinion.

I don't get why he thinks health wont be an issue at Rutgers? Is the OC position stress free as opposed to being a HC, I don't see this ending well.

The OC position at Buttgers is in fact stress free as they have no offense and can't score to save their lives.

Maybe so.

My feeling is that Braman allowed his ego to get in the way. He had a gold mine of a coach. Everybody was talking about the Eagles back then - you either loved them or hated them. Everybody wanted to see them on TV.

In my opinion, Braman failed to appreciate what he had. So he fires Buddy and hires Kotite and the franchise moves the wrong way and Braman - hated by now in Philly - is essentially forced to sell the team.

So, yes, I understand what you're saying. But sometimes management should appreciate the subordinate's position and recognize that in the end the position could actually benefit management.

Just my opinion.

What if he says what he says, the admin says "wow. Great leadership" and then another incident pops up?? Ask the AD's and admin at PSU or Baylor how that looks. Or what if a video of the incident surfaces and its clear that it was rape?

I mean talk about risky.

Coyle seems to have major communication issues:

1). Claimed initially that Claeys was involved in the decision to suspend players when he was not.

2) Had a meeting with players which we don't have details on, but the players felt he was obfuscating. Which is plausible because...

3) In his press conference he was intentionally unclear if Claeys was getting the buyout or the full value of the contract.

He has a longer history of communication issues as well.

Claeys had to go in this situation - but that doesn't change the fact the Coyle appears to be unable to communicate and/or is incredibly conflict averse. Simply saying Coyle did the right thing is only half the story - he's also exposed that he is not fit to be an athletic director at the P5 level through this process.

We dodged a bullet when he snuck out of the salt city for his "dream job".
Ba da bing

Maybe so.

Just my opinion.

I'm not sure you can equate a union strike to applauding your players throwing a tantrum when several of their teammates likely sexually assaulted someone.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying.

Some may recall many years ago when the NFL players went on strike - 1986? - and the NFL clubs utilized replacement players, Buddy Ryan of the Eagles told his team "either come back together or stay out" - he refused to actively coach the replacements, and made clear publicly his support for the players.

What he did infuriated the team owner, Norman Braman.

But it had an amazing impact on the players. They would do anything for Buddy. After the strike they were united and became the best young team in football.

The Cowboys on the other hand did not stay united during the strike and that really was the end of Tom Landry's time in Dallas.

So, Buddy showed tremendous leadership - he led his guys - but Braman never forgave him and at the end of the contract fired him without discussion.

So, yes, we are talking about different things.

A manager can be a "company man" and play it safe or he can be a true leader and lead his troops - and perhaps suffer the consequences.

If I had been Norman Braman, way back then, I would have ignored what Buddy did since it ultimately made no difference to me as an owner. I would have kept him because his actions dramatically improved the team and in the process made the Eagles one of the more high profile and valuable franchises in the League. Braman actually made huge money because of what Ryan did.

So, again, I'm not saying that the coach did the politically wise thing. I'm saying that he demonstrated real leadership and Coyle and his president failed to appreciate what a monstrous effect that could have on the football program - in the best sense.
The Landry era ended wi t h new ownership. That was it.