Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC

Because the money was a major part of the decision. With the guarantee clause due to ownership change, Marrone would not have left and this thread would not exist. That's why the money is a big part of the conversation.
So he sacrificed his career for some extra cash up front. Good for him. Hope it was worth it for he and his family.

So he sacrificed his career for some extra cash up front. Good for him. Hope it was worth it for he and his family.
He didn't sacrifice his career. He sacrificed his HC job at Buffalo. He still has a coaching career like many other assistant coaches in the NFL. He will likely be a Head coach again there but in any case, he is still working in his chosen profession. I am sure with a good financial planner he can turn that $12M he got from Buffalo into real money someday!

He didn't sacrifice his career. He sacrificed his HC job at Buffalo. He still has a coaching career like many other assistant coaches in the NFL. He will likely be a Head coach again there but in any case, he is still working in his chosen profession. I am sure with a good financial planner he can turn that $12M he got from Buffalo into real money someday!

He may have. Putting this in business terms, going from a senior executive to a manager--while still "working in his chosen profession"--is a significant downgrade.

I think the point is not that he sacrificed his career, it's that he seems to have sacrificed his head-coaching career.

mads.jpg
Stage 4 MADS . mads.jpg mads.jpg

I think the point is not that he sacrificed his career, it's that he seems to have sacrificed his head-coaching career.
Ok...of course that is a different opinion. It remains to be seen. If he can't get a job as HC again, then it may be that he sacrificed his head coaching career for the extra $4M.

He may have. Putting this in business terms, going from a senior executive to a manager--while still "working in his chosen profession"--is a significant downgrade.
Agree. It's a downgrade. He took the $4M for a chance at another HC gig. He didn't get it. I agree, he was downgraded. May be permanent. May be temporary.

My point is this. I said he got $4M from the Bills for the year he didn't work there (this past season). You said,

"wasnt 4mill. Was likely under 500k even."

You were wrong. I corrected you. I see above we now agree on what he got. That's a start.

Notice you now agree with my statement: "He got $4M for 2015-16 from Buffalo though he didn't coach in Buffalo. In all, he got $12M from Buffalo + his salary at Jacksonville over the last 3 years."
What the F are you talking about?

Of course he got 4mill from the bills in 2015, everybody and their grandmother knows that.

You gotta keep up here.

The 'wasn't 4mill' statement was for what he got at jax, hence he likely got less than 500k.

Ive been saying hes now 4mill short for he wasnt getting another 4 mill on top of what the bills paid over last 2 years.

Lets be generous and say he conned jax into 1mill last year (which he didnt) and will get another 1 mill this year, which he's not.

So the tally is...now stay with me here...6 mill for coaching in 15&16.

As opposed to 8 mill, guaranteed.

8 > 6

Can we all agree on that??

Obviously nobody, not even doogie, thought he'd win this year and earn an extension that WOULD come after 3 years of 4 year deal...if he was winning and he'd be guaranteed millions more.

And if they don't extend him and make him coach as a lame duck, he will look good in the eyes of most folks, including the other owners.

You're obviously flustered because you are wrong, Doug's a quitter and I'm now 2-2.

Not in jobs, but in years not as a NFL HC.

Quitting was a pretty fluckin stoopid idea.

Last edited:

Of course he got 4mill from the bills in 2015, everybody and their grandmother knows that.

You gotta keep up here.

The 'wasn't 4mill' statement was for what he got at jax, hence he likely got less than 500k.

Ive been saying hes now 4mill short for he wasnt getting another 4 mill on top of what the bills paid over last 2 years.

Lets be generous and say he conned jax into 1mill last year (which he didnt) and will get another 1 mill this year, which he's not.

So the tally is...now stay with me here...6 mill for coaching in 15&16.

As opposed to 8 mill, guaranteed.

8 > 6

Can we all agree on that??

Obviously nobody, not even doogie, thought he'd win this year and earn an extension that WOULD come after 3 years of 4 year deal...if he was winning.

And if they don't extend him and make him coach as a lame duck, he will look good in the eyes of most folks, including the other owners.

You're obviously flustered because you are wrong, Doug's a quitter and I'm now 2-2.

Not in jobs, but in years not as a NFL HC.

Quitting was a pretty fluckin stoopid idea.
Doug declined the Giants job . Another micro managing GM with idiot owners , same as Buffalo. or Cleveland.

You gotta keep up here.
ME: "He would have rec'd $8M for being head coach for 2 years. Instead, he received $4M from the Bills for not working for them at all + his salary at this next job."

YOU (directly responding to the above quote): "wasnt 4mill. Was likely under 500k even. "

Um..I'm right and you are wrong.

And if you know Dougie would have had a losing season, why do you feel so jilted? You should be happy he left and you got your coach of the future.

Doug declined the Giants job . Another micro managing GM with idiot owners , same as Buffalo. or Cleveland.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

You have just shown you know absolutely nothing about the Giants. Probably best to quit while you're ahead.

Oh, wait - you're not.

Thank you.
ME: "He would have rec'd $8M for being head coach for 2 years. Instead, he received $4M from the Bills for not working for them at all + his salary at this next job."

YOU (directly responding to the above quote): "wasnt 4mill. Was likely under 500k even. "

Um..I'm right and you are wrong.

And if you know Dougie would have had a losing season, why do you feel so jilted? You should be happy he left and you got your coach of the future.
Just stop.

Please.

I explained your reading comprehension problem there.

After 30+ pages, do you really think we don't all know and agree that doug got 4mill from the bills AND his jax salary??

Do you??

Really??

Look, we get you're probably starting to find yourself in the wrong here, but dont make up some scenario where you think you found an erroneous statement by me, and then cling to it, to deflect attention from your points in the great marrone debate, of which your side has lost.

Just accept it and move on.

Thank you.

Just stop.

Please.

I explained your reading comprehension problem there.

After 30+ pages, do you really think we don't all know and agree that doug got 4mill from the bills AND his jax salary??

Do you??

Really??

Look, we get you're probably starting to find yourself in the wrong here, but dont make up some scenario where you think you found an erroneous statement by me, and then cling to it, to deflect attention from your points in the great marrone debate, of which your side has lost.

Just accept it and move on.
I guess that is as close to an apology as I will get from you. I accept.

Also, what bar are you in?

I guess that is as close to an apology as I will get from you. I accept.

Also, what bar are you in?
I wish I was at the one you're in, for they're also putting some serious hallucinogens in your drink.

Wowzers...

CousCuse said:
If you look at the records of the Buffalo Bills from 2000 and the Syracuse Orange from 2002 which is a total of 30 seasons , of which Doug coached 6 (4Syr. , 2Buf. ) together , they had 5 over .500 seasons. Doug was directly responsible for 3 as head coach and largely responsible for Shafer's first year success which leaves only 1 , ONE , UNO winning season at those 2 "organizations" without him. Shocking , unless you have severe Marrone Acute Derangement Syndrome (MADS) , but understandable as MADS is closely related to Tourete's and Rabies and general nervous disorder.

That only shows he's good at picking his spots and going with programs that are way down. Then you only have to be a so so coach to get to a so so .500 record.

xc84 said:
So you think if he didn't have that clause, he would have left anyways not having been offered a new job? If so, we don't agree for sure.

No, he would have left for the Jets job, exit payment or no exit payment. A job ehich he thought he had. Oops.

That only shows he's good at picking his spots and going with programs that are way down. Then you only have to be a so so coach to get to a so so .500 record.
mads.jpg I need a poster person to get the fundraising off the ground so we can't get some resources and get help to those struggling with the scourge of MADS.

I think we can all agree, that no matter what any of us feel about Douglas Marrone, the consensus is that Nick Saban is the Devil. Literally Beelzebub.

No, he would have left for the Jets job, exit payment or no exit payment. A job ehich he thought he had. Oops.
Even if he he wasn't offered the Jet's job? That's odd.