Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC

I think Marrone will get a head gig again someday, but it looks like he may be waiting at least a couple more years. His potential landing spots are dwindling quickly.

Since he walked away from the Buffalo job there have been 13 head coaching changes (including the Bills). He obviously was an available candidate for nearly all of those and was not hired. Assuming most of those jobs don't come open in the next 2-3 years those are all out of play.

Of the 19 remaining jobs many are rather unlikely to be available in the next 2 seasons (AZ, BAL, CAR, NE, HOU, IND, KC, MIN, PIT, SEA, WSH). Honestly I think his best chance is being promoted in Jacksonville. Other than that he'll be one of many candidates for potential gigs in CIN (if Brown tires of Lewis, which may be unlikely), DAL (lol), LA (not exactly a Hollywood fit), DET (hmmmm), GB (lol), NO (if Payton is out of favor bringing in his non-play calling former OC seems unlikely), or SD (Soon to be LA, see Hollywood comment).

Things change quickly so who knows how circumstances change. But as things stand today I think Marrone may be settling in for another couple seasons of position coaching.

I'm curious if other boards discuss their past coaches so much more than their current coach. I find most of the discussion interesting but the thought just occurred to me. Probably has something to do with the offseason also.

I'm curious if other boards discuss their past coaches so much more than their current coach. I find most of the discussion interesting but the thought just occurred to me. Probably has something to do with the offseason also.
It's the nature of the beast. Shafer won't elicit these types and volume of posts.

I was just thinking about this also just before i came across your post here. Marrone just up and quite right before national signing day and took a large amount of staff with him after saying he wouldn't and he has almost THAT Lombardi type of following with some board members here.....NUTS.

I could be wrong,but this might be my only post in this thread after 31 pages.

He's an alumnus, much different.

I'd imagine even the guys who hate him for going to the bills, were silently proud he was there.

And I'd imagine even the guys who can't come to grips with him for then quitting the bills job, are silently wondering just What was going on his mind.

"You had 8 million guaranteed and you took half and walked away, what's wrong with you???"

He's an alumnus, much different.

I'd imagine even the guys who hate him for going to the bills, were silently proud he was there.

And I'd imagine even the guys who can't come to grips with him for then quitting the bills job, are silently wondering just What was going on his mind.

"You had 8 million guaranteed and you took half and walked away, what's wrong with you???"
He would have rec'd $8M for being head coach for 2 years. Instead, he received $4M from the Bills for not working for them at all + his salary at this next job.

xc84 said:
He would have rec'd $8M for being head coach for 2 years. Instead, he received $4M from the Bills for not working for them at all + his salary at this next job.

...and willingly gave up an NFL head coaching job.

A position he has yet to regain.

It was a weird thing to do.

wasnt 4mill.

Was likely under 500k even.

MSOrange said:

I'm sure some boards do. Personally I'm all in on Dino, I just find the Marrone stuff interesting to discuss. Like talk radio fodder that is a means to kill time.

...and willingly gave up an NFL head coaching job.

A position he has yet to regain.

It was a weird thing to do.

EXTREMELY weird. The only plausible explanation for it is that he believed he was going to transition immediately to a new gig, and land on his feet as the HC of another team. If that had happened, then exploiting the loophole that would have paid him $4M on the way out the door would have been a bold stroke of genius when you add the $4M to the HC salary from the other team.

Instead, it looks like a gross miscalculation / extremely bad career decision, and a black mark on his coaching track record that may be difficult to overcome. How do you explain such blatant self-inflicted career suicide in subsequent interviews with other teams?

I'm sure some boards do. Personally I'm all in on Dino, I just find the Marrone stuff interesting to discuss. Like talk radio fodder that is a means to kill time.

Oh yeah I agree it is interesting since I'm both a Syracuse and Bills fan. I guess I made the comment because I've also noticed a Coach P or even GRob thread can also still generate quite a bit of attention even after all these years. Granted most everyone is on the same page when it comes to GRob.

wasnt 4mill.

Was likely under 500k even.
He got $4M for 2015-16 from Buffalo though he didn't coach in Buffalo. In all, he got $12M from Buffalo + his salary at Jacksonville over the last 3 years.

It makes sense that you want to say Marrone only got $500K because that makes your argument a decent one. $4M doesn't.

Either way, it shows the owners don't collectively view him as some sort of traitor who they would never consider hiring as some here are saying.

I think he's a good coach; I think others feel that way and think it's worthwhile to bring him in for an interview and have him try to explain what is now prety obviously a red flag.

xc84 said:
He got $4M for 2015-16 from Buffalo though he didn't coach in Buffalo. In all, he got $12M from Buffalo + his salary at Jacksonville over the last 3 years. It makes sense that you want to say Marrone only got $500K because that makes your argument a decent one. $4M doesn't.

I don't know why people focus on the money part of this so much. Obviously I'd rather have $4 million than not have $4 million.

But Marrone is set for life regardless.

He made, what $5 million during his time at SU? And he's part of the good ol' boy network of pro coaches. So if he wants it he can at least be an NFL position coach for the rest of his career. Those salaries are quite alright. He's never going to hurt for money, both from what he's already earned and from the prospect of near-guaranteed employment going forward.

Hell, if he really wanted to he could go back and land a Group of Five college head job and make $1 million/year. Most schools in the American, C-USA and Mountain West would love to have him.

The money he "made" for Buffalo seems totally hollow to me.

He got $4M for 2015-16 from Buffalo though he didn't coach in Buffalo. In all, he got $12M from Buffalo + his salary at Jacksonville over the last 3 years.

It makes sense that you want to say Marrone only got $500K because that makes your argument a decent one. $4M doesn't.
I don't understand your point.

Fact: he got 8 mill for the 2 years he coached
Fact: he got 4 mill for the 1 year he quit and didn't coach
Fact: he had 4 mill on the table guaranteed that he walked away from
Fact: he didn't get 4 mill last year from the jags
Fact: Hes not getting 4 mill this year from the jags

So help me out here...

EXTREMELY weird. The only plausible explanation for it is that he believed he was going to transition immediately to a new gig, and land on his feet as the HC of another team. If that had happened, then exploiting the loophole that would have paid him $4M on the way out the door would have been a bold stroke of genius when you add the $4M to the HC salary from the other team.

Instead, it looks like a gross miscalculation / extremely bad career decision, and a black mark on his coaching track record that may be difficult to overcome. How do you explain such blatant self-inflicted career suicide in subsequent interviews with other teams?
You could explain it as hubris, but that wouldn't actually help.

Jacksonville was paying him while he was actively the head coach at Buffalo?

I don't understand your point.

Fact: he got 8 mill for the 2 years he coached
Fact: he got 4 mill for the 1 year he quit and didn't coach
Fact: he had 4 mill on the table guaranteed that he walked away from
Fact: he didn't get 4 mill last year from the jags
Fact: Hes not getting 4 mill this year from the jags

So help me out here...

My point is this. I said he got $4M from the Bills for the year he didn't work there (this past season). You said,

"wasnt 4mill. Was likely under 500k even."

You were wrong. I corrected you. I see above we now agree on what he got. That's a start.

Notice you now agree with my statement: "He got $4M for 2015-16 from Buffalo though he didn't coach in Buffalo. In all, he got $12M from Buffalo + his salary at Jacksonville over the last 3 years."

The money he "made" for Buffalo seems totally hollow to me.[/QUOTE]
Jacksonville was paying him while he was actively the head coach at Buffalo?
No. Both Buffalo and Jacksonville paid him salary in the year for would have been Marrone's 3rd season in Buffalo. buffalo paid him $4M. Jacksonville paid him an amount that has not been made public to my knowledge. Marrone double-dipped this past season.

Last edited:
I don't know why people focus on the money part of this so much.
Because the money was a major part of the decision. With the guarantee clause due to ownership change, Marrone would not have left and this thread would not exist. That's why the money is a big part of the conversation.

If you look at the records of the Buffalo Bills from 2000 and the Syracuse Orange from 2002 which is a total of 30 seasons , of which Doug coached 6 (4Syr. , 2Buf. ) together , they had 5 over .500 seasons. Doug was directly responsible for 3 as head coach and largely responsible for Shafer's first year success which leaves only 1 , ONE , UNO winning season at those 2 "organizations" without him. Shocking , unless you have severe Marrone Acute Derangement Syndrome (MADS) , but understandable as MADS is closely related to Tourete's and Rabies and general nervous disorder.

Last edited:
xc84 said:
Because the money was a major part of the decision. With the guarantee clause due to ownership change, Marrone would not have left and this thread would not exist. That's why the money is a big part of the conversation.

I disagree. $4 million is wonderful, but again, Marrone's good on money for the rest of his life. What was a major part of the decision, in fact I believe the vast majority of the decision, was the belief that he had another gig lined up. That being HC of the NYJ. But it fell through. Certainly not the first time someone had a "sure thing" fall through. Let's say there was no $4 million dollar exit clause. But let's say the NYJ wanted to hire Marrone, and were willing to give up a 2nd round pick to the Bills to get him. You think Marrone says "no".

Maybe we just disagree but I think the $4 million was a bonus, but that wasn't the driving reason why he bailed. He wanted out, the money was a well negotiated cherry on top.

But he would have made more money if he stayed:

Scenario 1
2015 HC Buffalo
2016 HC Buffalo
Total $8M

Scenario 2
2015 HC Buffalo and then fired
2016 Year off or HC or OC or OL
Total at least $8M maybe more if he gets another job

Scenario 3
2015 Jax OL plus money from Buffalo
2016 Jax OL or OC if he can land it elsewhere
Total at least $4M but not much more

So looking at just money, which is the worst? And like others have said above the money shouldn't be a factor to him. He should have plenty of it. The more important thing is being a HC. In addition he ended up screwing his assistants. They went from NFL assistants to lesser paying jobs.

I disagree. $4 million is wonderful, but again, Marrone's good on money for the rest of his life. What was a major part of the decision, in fact I believe the vast majority of the decision, was the belief that he had another gig lined up. That being HC of the NYJ. But it fell through. Certainly not the first time someone had a "sure thing" fall through. Let's say there was no $4 million dollar exit clause. But let's say the NYJ wanted to hire Marrone, and were willing to give up a 2nd round pick to the Bills to get him. You think Marrone says "no".

Maybe we just disagree but I think the $4 million was a bonus, but that wasn't the driving reason why he bailed. He wanted out, the money was a well negotiated cherry on top.
So you think if he didn't have that clause, he would have left anyways not having been offered a new job? If so, we don't agree for sure.

Scenario 3
2015 Jax OL plus money from Buffalo
2016 Jax OL or OC if he can land it elsewhere
Total at least $4M but not much more
Yes, I think we can now conclude he would have had more money if he had stayed with the Bills. Your Scenario 3 should be:

Scenario 3
2015 $4M from Buffalo plus Jax Asst. Head Coach salary
2016 Jax Asst. Head Coach salary or Salary as an Asst. at another team.

Total = $4M Salary + 2 Years Salary of being Assistant