Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC

Sports.

But I was also instilled with a belief to never quit anything, to always finish what you started and to give your best.

But I get that every mountin is too high for some folks here.

I honestly can't believe that we are all not 100% in agreement that Doug is a quitter for what he did to his players and staff in buffalo.

And for some ridiculous reason we now have...

Marrone=corporate raider???
Thats sophomoric crap. He had a contractual choice to take. He could accept $4M and become a free agent, or stay on and coach.
He chose to become a free agent. ,its no different than a player exercising such a clause.
I guess you won't be rooting for coach Babers because under your definition, he is also a quitter.

Thats sophomoric crap. He had a contractual choice to take. He could accept $4M and become a free agent, or stay on and coach.
He chose to become a free agent. ,its no different than a player exercising such a clause.
I guess you won't be rooting for coach Babers because under your definition, he is also a quitter.

Well, it's not the same thing, because Babers left BG for Syracuse, and HCDM left the bills for...

Kaisers right. It would've been better had he just been fired by the Pegulas. Not meshing with new ownership plays a lot better in interviews than making off with millions of your prior boss' money.

Well, let's be honest about it though. Media guys talk to each other. Hiring Marrone is an immediate PR hit. Can't really bring a bad media guy in to a big market unless he's got a huge resume - Marrone doesn't. So the fit needs to be pretty unique to start with, and even if the fit is right for him to be successful he's still got to be the #1 candidate.

He's a fantastic benchmark interview though. Somebody else already liked him enough to give him the job, and he was moderately successful. Knowing those things has value. Talking to him is a great way to start differentiating your candidate pool. If by the end you feel he's a great candidate that's terrific, if not, at the very least he helped you get some clarity on how you felt about everyone else.

Look at the other candidates. Marrone holds a pretty good resume. And look at the before/after with the Bills this year.

He was third at best for the Giants (Jackson might have gotten it if he came.)

Maybe his talent is getting destroyed by a worsening demeanor. Dunno.

MadNY3 said:
Look at the other candidates. Marrone holds a pretty good resume. And look at the before/after with the Bills this year. He was third at best for the Giants (Jackson might have gotten it if he came.) Maybe his talent is getting destroyed by a worsening demeanor. Dunno.

Bills were 8-8 (vs 9*-7) with a better offense and a worse defense.

Maybe Jim Schwartz, with the right offensive coordinator, is the guy who should be getting the second chance.

The Giants took a young OC as their head coach . This is because the executive level people want a guy they can tell what to do , like Garret at Dallas. Philbin said no thanks to carrying water for him , so that should tell you something.

I still can't get over how people can't just look at this issue as simply as it actually is: Marrone took a gamble in making a power move and it backfired in his face. I cannot see in any way, shape or form how anyone can spin what he did in a positive light. Total misfire and miscalculation of what his actual status was in the coaching world to all other 31 owners in the NFL.

KaiserUEO said:
Sports. But I was also instilled with a belief to never quit anything, to always finish what you started and to give your best. But I get that every mountin is too high for some folks here. I honestly can't believe that we are all not 100% in agreement that Doug is a quitter for what he did to his players and staff in buffalo. And for some ridiculous reason we now have... Marrone=corporate raider???

Didn't realize you were North Korean. I prefer to use "scum of the earth" in reference to pedophiles and dictators willing to commit genocide.

That's why I said you were being bombastic, obnoxious, and over the top.

Much more gray than black and white.

I still can't get over how people can't just look at this issue as simply as it actually is: Marrone took a gamble in making a power move and it backfired in his face. I cannot see in any way, shape or form how anyone can spin what he did in a positive light. Total misfire and miscalculation of what his actual status was in the coaching world to all other 31 owners in the NFL.

Agreed. Marrone could have stayed on with the Bills, all the while making more money for both himself and his staff. If he was fired after this season, he would have had a better chance at getting a HC job vs taking the money and running.

While Marrone had the contractual right to do what he did, the owners don't view it that way. They see it as Marrone having screwed the new ownership. Did Marrone owe anything to them? No. Would the owners be perfectly fine screwing a HC? Yes. Do the owners like when a HC sticks it to the man? No. And that is the way they view this.

Didn't realize you were North Korean. I prefer to use "scum of the earth" in reference to pedophiles and dictators willing to commit genocide.

That's why I said you were being bombastic, obnoxious, and over the top.

Much more gray than black and white.
Get a Fn grip dude, this is a sports message board.

We've now put marrone in the same catagory as a corporate raider, a ruthless dictator and pedophiles.

You guys hate him, I just point out facts.

And to whomever was the idiot that compared babers to marrone...u get a mulligan, for nobody can be that dumb.

And it's apples and ORANGES to compare a NFL HC to a FA.

That's poppycock.

Last edited:
Agreed. Marrone could have stayed on with the Bills, all the while making more money for both himself and his staff. If he was fired after this season, he would have had a better chance at getting a HC job vs taking the money and running.

While Marrone had the contractual right to do what he did, the owners don't view it that way. They see it as Marrone having screwed the new ownership. Did Marrone owe anything to them? No. Would the owners be perfectly fine screwing a HC? Yes. Do the owners like when a HC sticks it to the man? No. And that is the way they view this.
I guess Dougie DID find a way to screw up a free lunch.

The Giants took a young OC as their head coach . This is because the executive level people want a guy they can tell what to do , like Garret at Dallas. Philbin said no thanks to carrying water for him , so that should tell you something.

Comparing the Giants ownership to the Cowboys is completely misguided. You think they really want a guy they can tell what to do?

Pagano is a defensive guy. Philbin is the top offensive person in the building and Andrew Luck to work with. That is unquestionably a bigger job than working for a guy promoted from OC and will keep the system in place.

In these interviews that Marrone has done you gotta figure that he's asked about the Bills situation. I wonder how he's answering those questions, and if his answers are giving teams pause.

What he did in Buffalo was just so darn weird. I can't remember an NFL coach who just walked away from a job like that.

He'll get a head job again someday because that's how the NFL rolls. But I think we can safely conclude that his gamble failed. Not only didn't he get the Jets gig a year ago, now he's staring at a second year of position coaching.

KaiserUEO said:
Get a Fn grip dude, this is a sports message board. We've now put marrone in the same catagory as a corporate raider, a ruthless dictator and pedophiles. You guys hate him, I just point out facts. And to whomever was the idiot that compared babers to marrone...u get a mulligan, for nobody can be that dumb. And it's apples and ORANGES to compare a NFL HC to a FA. That's poppycock.

You called him scum of the earth for quitting - not me. That's why I said your take has been over the top on this. Do you know what gray vs black and white is? I'm calling for a moderate position... You're the one who needs to get the grip.

I missed this earlier.

Wow. Just wow.

Wrong on why he was hired, wrong on how NYG ownership acts and way wrong on Philbin.

The reason he went to the colts is staring you right in the face, no reason to make up a lie.

And come on cusian, we've had some fantastic debates over the years, don't let an obvious hyperbolic line, break your concentration.

While Marrone had the contractual right to do what he did, the owners don't view it that way. They see it as Marrone having screwed the new ownership.
Ok. .. except 5 gave him an interview.

Last edited:
I have a difficult time believing a pro team would rather hire a loser than a winner who is difficult to get along with.

Harbaugh comes to mind...

Ok. .. except 5 gave him an interview.
And he struck out all five times.

Maybe they granted him interviews out of curiosity. "This guy can't be as crazy as people say, right? Let's see for ourselves."

Or maybe it's "Why does this guy get so many interviews? Maybe there's something we're missing. Let's check it out."

Get a Fn grip dude, this is a sports message board.

We've now put marrone in the same catagory as a corporate raider, a ruthless dictator and pedophiles.

You guys hate him, I just point out facts.

And to whomever was the idiot that compared babers to marrone...u get a mulligan, for nobody can be that dumb.

And it's apples and ORANGES to compare a NFL HC to a FA.

That's poppycock.
Poppycock? That's really beneath you. Fiddle dee dee.

orangenirvana said:
And he struck out all five times. Maybe they granted him interviews out of curiosity. "This guy can't be as crazy as people say, right? Let's see for ourselves." Or maybe it's "Why does this guy get so many interviews? Maybe there's something we're missing. Let's check it out."

Who knows if he had 5 interviews. The teams don't actually confirm or deny.

Who knows if he had 5 interviews. The teams don't actually confirm or deny.

The beat reporters tend to know. Marrone was o-for-4/5 on top of the whiffs last year.

In these interviews that Marrone has done you gotta figure that he's asked about the Bills situation. I wonder how he's answering those questions, and if his answers are giving teams pause.

What he did in Buffalo was just so darn weird. I can't remember an NFL coach who just walked away from a job like that.

He'll get a head job again someday because that's how the NFL rolls. But I think we can safely conclude that his gamble failed. Not only didn't he get the Jets gig a year ago, now he's staring at a second year of position coaching.
He needs to say that he made a huge mistake and won't make it again . I bet he just hems and haws though

Agree 100%.

And he struck out all five times.

Maybe they granted him interviews out of curiosity. "This guy can't be as crazy as people say, right? Let's see for ourselves."

Or maybe it's "Why does this guy get so many interviews? Maybe there's something we're missing. Let's check it out."
Either way, it shows the owners don't collectively view him as some sort of traitor who they would never consider hiring as some here are saying.

My two cents... The reason he isn't getting jobs isn't because of the way he left the Bills, it's because of the st. Doug stuff and his game day decisions. I'm sure he was asked about both and couldn't really defend either.