Louisville Game Quotes | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Game Quotes

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Syracuse Quotes

Jim Boeheim

On holding Louisville to 32% shooting & 2-23 from three

“Our defense has been good all year, "We didn't really let them get many open shots, and then when they got some open shots, they just didn't make them. Sometimes that happens."

On Brandon

“Brandon got us going,” “there’s no question about that.” "I think sometimes he'll miss some shots or things haven't gone exactly right some games but he's a guy who can get 20 any night," "I believe that."

"He has been aggressive," "He hasn't made a couple. He made one early and then the second half he was ready to go."

"It really came down to the second half . I thought Brandon got wide open on the first play. We tried to get James to get him in there and he hit it and then great ball movement for his second three. Brandon got us going no question about that."

On James Southerland

I thought James had a real good first half for us. We really need some points, he came in there and got us some points. I thought he was very key in the first half".

On Both Brandon & James

“We’re really going to need Brandon and James in New York and beyond,’’ “They’ve both shown signs of playing better, and today should really help their confidence.’’

On Scoop & Kris

“Kris got going a little bit, Scoop struggled a little bit,” “But seniors put a little too much pressure on themselves in their last game and I think that’s what happened to them.” “They wouldn’t let us lose some of the games that came down to the wire,’’ “What else do you need to say?’’

On the 17-4 run

"Our defense got better," "We got some steals. We started to score a little bit. We made a couple shots. I think that kind of got us going."

On our defense

Our defense was good. We didn’t really let them get any open shots and when they got open shots, they really didn’t make them".
"Sometimes that happens. They had some good looks. I guess (Kyle) Kuric, he’s made enough three’s against us during his career. You figure he’s used them all up (laughing). If he shot like that prior to this we would have won two or more of these games, but that happens.

“Defense wins games for you. We are in the top two in the league in most categories
steals, turnovers, field goal percentage, field goal percentage against three point shots. If you look at all the categories we are right there."

On the team

"This group has had an unbelievable year," “Thirty and one, it’s really hard to focus on that,’’. There are just too many good teams in this league that can beat you.”

"To win 30 games in this league, to win 17 is a tremendous accomplishment for these players. “It’s not easy,”I told them there is really four phases in a basketball season and you go through. Non-conference games is the first phase and they did what they needed to do. The conference season, they did everything you could ask them to do. You go to New York and try to get as ready as you can to play in New York and then the NCAA tournament. These guys have done everything you can ask them to do — a very unselfish team. They really look for each other, a really tremendous season.” “These guys deserve an unbelievable amount of credit.’’

On if the team is ready for the post season

"We'll see"

JB on the Big East Tournament

“When I look back, it’s the games that I’ll remember,” “The six-overtime game against UConn in the 2009 Big East Tournament, Gerry McNamara’s amazing run in 2006.
“I’ll probably miss it.”

From SUA

Head Coach Jim Boeheim Quotes

Scoop Jardine

On the game plan

"We really keyed in on their players," "We talked a lot that we weren't going to let Kyle Kuric beat us or let Peyton Siva drive. We were going to have to let somebody else beat us."

"It's about making guys uncomfortable," "They're going to get good looks because they're a good basketball team. They run some great sets. But when you make guys uncomfortable and run them off their spots, that's what our defense does." They hit some shots, but they weren’t Louisville shots.

On The Big East Tournament

“To go down there and win a Big East championship would just add more to our season and what we’re trying to accomplish,’’ “What we want to do is win every game that we’re in. We played 31 games. We won 30. We’re proud of that. We’ve got nine more to go. We’re going to take it one game at a time.’’

On DC chiding him that he was scoreless with 7 minutes left

"We’re winning." "That’s how I am," "It doesn’t matter. I’m going into the newspaper with zero points and zero assists, but we won. I’d rather go out like we did and a big win against a Louisville team that we struggled against during my time here than have 30 points and a loss. , it’s something special that I’ll always remember.”I’m the starting point guard. I’m a leader. I’m the heart and soul of the No. 2 team in the country that’s 17-1 in the Big East and 30-1 overall.

"I don’t care about scoring. I never did. But if they need me to make big plays, I’m there. And you’ve seen it. Today wasn’t my day, but we won and that’s all that matters. We got the big W."

You only get this once. I had zero points, but this moment alone -- just going out there in front of all those people and knowing I have the support I have -- I won’t forget it."

"It was very emotional. It was draining. It drained my energy a bit everything going on today. I was orchestrating everything, getting family here. I was so happy when it was over. I'm sure that when I sit back on it, it is something I'll remember the rest of my life."

“The most important thing, I’m glad my family got to cherish this moment with me. They’ve been through everything from my freshman year to my fifth year.”

On Brandon's Game

"It was awesome," "A guy like Triche who's not really been in a slump but really hasn't found his rhythm a couple games, but for him to find it today and going into tournament play we're going to really need him."

"He is another key to out team" said Scoop Jardine. "He is a guy who can make shots and when he makes shots he is so hard to guard. When Brandon plays good and we are all playing well, I don't think anyone can beat us."

On The Big East Tournament

"We’re ready," "We’re 30-1, but the season is about to start over “I’ve never won a Big East Tournament,” “We’re going down to New York. We’re in great position. We have a double bye, but we had a double bye last year and we lost to UConn in overtime in the semifinals. So no teams are going to lay down. We’re going to get everybody’s best shot from here on out. But we’re capable of doing something special here." We’ve got nine games left (for a national title).

“If we play the way we’re capable of, anything is possible. There are rarely blowouts in tournament play. You got teams coming back from down 20. The good teams know how to knock teams out of the box.”

On the ultimate goal

"That is what you want to do when you come into the season. You want to take care of business. The success we have right now, it's great. But when we came together, I told these guys, the biggest thing is winning the national championship."

Just nine more games until we reach our goal (NCAA championship),’’ “The key I believe is just playing your game, valuing every possession and playing good defense. The rest will take care of itself.’’

Kris Joseph

On Brandon

“He ignited us offensively, and that’s what he’s supposed to do." He’s been a little off the last couple of games, but he’s a confident player and continues to shoot the ball and play hard. He definitely helped us get our mojo back in the second half.”

On the team

"I knew we were going to be good," "I didn't know we were going to be this good and finish this strong. It's just a blessing to be a part of this team."

On the day

"It was another home game," "It was, obviously, my last home game here. But, I mean, it was just another game for me and I just wanted to win at the end of the day. We wanted to play well as a team. It wasn’t so much about me playing well. As long as we got the win I was going to be happy."

“It was a good feeling. You definitely want your last game at the Dome to be good and end out your career with a bang. I think we did that as a team. I didn’t think I played all that well, but I did some good things at both ends of the floor. But it’s a good feeling, just to win at the end of the day and to finish out the season 30-1. My teammates did a great job; Brandon played tremendously today. That’s what we wanted. We wanted to win, and we got it."

About being undefeated at home

“Protecting home court is what it’s all about, “Now we get to go to our second home in New York City (Madison Square Garden) for the next phase of our season.’’

What he tought 4 years ago

Looking back four years ago, I said to myself as a freshman, ‘I’m going to work hard every year and place myself in a position to help the team win.’

On the post season

"We just want to play well at the end of the day," "The Big East Tournament is really important to us. We want to bring that title back to Syracuse. But at the end of the day, March Madness is the big dance, and that's what we're preparing for. So we're hoping to play well in the Big East Tournament and carry that momentum into the NCAA Tournament."

Dion Waiters

On Brandon

“Going into the Big East and the Tournament, we need B to get back to himself,”. “I think a game like this builds his confidence up leading into next week. He did an unbelievable job. He played his tail off. And that’s what we were waiting for.”

On that spin move

“Just instincts,“Just seeing how you’re playing me and making a move. Most importantly, I made the basket. That’s the most important thing. The spin move is just a little something I have in my arsenal.”

On the three that put us up 57-42

“If I would have missed, I would have taken it again,” “It’s just being confident in yourself. You’re gonna miss some. You’re gonna make some.”

On being part of history

“I’m happy to be a part of history,’’ “I know it’s something that’s going to live long in Syracuse. No matter what, when you come back someone’s going to remember you for being on a 30-1 team.’’

About helping the team in any way

“It’s all about being confident in yourself,’’ “Even though you may be struggling with your shot, you can do a lot of other things to help your team. I’ve never gotten down on myself because I know on any night I can make a big impact.’’

On this season

“I couldn’t write this. I couldn’t picture this,’’ “It’s a great feeling just being a part of this team. It’s a great group of guys. I love playing with them. We have great chemistry.’’

Brandon Triche

On James Southerland

“I’m happy to see him do well,” “Today he played with a lot of energy - he was all over the place, helping me out on the defense. Anybody, you see them struggling a little bit like yourself, you want to see them do well.”

On that first 3 pointer

“I try to get myself going and that pretty much tells me how the game is going to go, either hitting the shots, getting in the mix, making good plays either for myself or for the team,” “If I’m able to do that, I’m going to be energized, going to rebound, going to be all over the place.”

On his 2nd half hot start

"It opened up their defense more," "They had to play me on the wing. We spread them out a little bit more."

To the horde of reporters around him

I feel pretty good,” “to be talking to you guys today.”

On his shooting

"I've been having the same confidence the last few games, pretty much taking the same shots,""Today, they were falling."
"If I'm open I'm shooting it, regardless," "But a lot of the time I'm getting guarded a little closer than before. So if I'm not in open spots then I don't try and force them."

"I think today my 3-pointer, I was focusing in," "I wasn't moving as much in the air, keep my form, and I was able to knock down shots."

On 30-1

It's awesome to get 30 wins in a season,". "Any time you can get a "W" it don't matter who it's against. We ended the season playing pretty well. That's all you want to do

"It's pretty impressive when you look at it five years from now." "But if we don't go far in the (NCAA) Tournament, thirty wins doesn't mean nothing."

Howard Trice

On Brandon

“He was active,” “Active, active, active. When he’s active from the tip to the end, all good things happen.”

“He thinks he can correct during the game. Sometimes it works and sometimes, he’s just thinking too much,” So, play aggressive, be active. That’s all he has to do.

”Hopefully,” he added, “he can mark up this and bank it for the next few games.”

Fab Melo

On signaling to JB to take him out

“I don’t think he saw me,’’

On Gorgui Dieng

“He’s more of a defensive player like me,’’ . “He tried to make some shots, but it didn’t work.’’

On goal tending

"I gotta do what I gotta do and it is intimidating. They have to come in and I'll keep doing it. If I see it, I will try to block it and goal tend it. I don't care, it's just intimidating."

On not getting into foul trouble

"I have been working hard on that. Once my conditioning and positioning came around, it became easier for me. I am getting smarter. I understand the college game better and how to avoid the stupid fouls."

On the season

“It’s hard to believe,’’ “It’s something that doesn’t happen every year. It’s special. Our team is special. We know that.’’

Quotes From SUA

Syracuse Player Quotes

Louisville Quotes

Rick Pitino

On Louisville's start

"I thought the first seven minutes we played as well offensively and defensively that you can play against their zone," "But then _ and it's been our Achilles' heel _ we keep missing open shots."

On Peyton Siva

“I got to work on this week getting Peyton back to where he can be the Peyton Siva we fully expect and we will,” “…I think he hears it that he’s not playing well and he’s a very sensitive young man so he presses.”

On Wayne Blackshear

What he is, is he’s capable of playing 12-14 minutes a game, giving us nice relief,” “But if you look at it, he doesn’t grab a rebound, didn’t create a steal. That’s not the Wayne Blackshear I recruited. Now, that being said, 100 percent of the guys in his situation would not be ready.”

On SU

"There are a lot of games they should've lost, but they didn't because they have veterans," . "The thing that I like so much about this (Syracuse) team is they make shots. We should have beaten them at our place. They're a very good team. We'll see if they're a great team come tournament time."

On the Big East Tournament

"We're very excited," "I think we'll be a different basketball team then as we go in there, and we'll play a lot faster. We'll play faster against everybody and I think that will help us immensely. When you play slow and everything's a jump shot, that's difficult."

Peyton Siva

ON SU's defense

"They played great defense and we stopped being aggressive," "They did a great job playing the lanes today and they made great adjustments. They're not ranked No. 2 for nothing."

On the perception of the Cardinal's

“Everybody can say what they want,” . “They can write us off. Oh, well. Who cares? We’re all we’ve got. We’ve got us, Coach P and the coaching staff.

“The Lord will look over us, and we’ll go out there and battle our (rear ends) off,”

Kyle Kuric

On his poor shooting

“Just one of those nights,”

Chris Smith

“The regular season is over now,” “The season starts again. We’ve just got to bring everybody together, keep everybody strong and get ready to play.”

"I gotta do what I gotta do and it is intimidating. They have to come in and I'll keep doing it. If I see it, I will try to block it and goal tend it. I don't care, it's just intimidating."

jesus...

jesus...

We'll lose by 2 in the tourney and Fab will have a goaltending call.

But seriously..that quote is :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom