Love Battle, but | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Love Battle, but

I'm not sure some of us are watching the same game. Tyus is ready. If we had an outside threat to keep defenses honest...like almost any other JB team in our history...Tyus would be putting up huge numbers.

He gets more weak side help defenders than almost any player in our history, and he's still getting to the rim and finishing.

Those final possessions...teams are throwing the kitchen sink at him.

It is literally 2.5 on 5 every possession. Frank and Tyus are scoring at incredibley efficient rates given the team's overall makeup.
agreed. Don’t know how anyone can argue otherwise. But I will add that I didn’t love Tyus, Frank and Oshae all settling for I’ll advised 3s early in the shot clock in the last several possessions of the game. Drive the ball to the basket, please. That (and speeding them up with the press) is what got us back in the game! We need better shot selection at the end of games.

He's made several game winners for us

This game was coaching (2-3 zone) and refs calls on contact inside both ways

No.

This game is not on the refs at all, or the zone. Had the game where we wanted it regardless of how we got there.

Tie game, but then forced shots and not drives.

Stop making it about something more than simple execution.

Absolutely not true. Dion was ready, Jonny Flynn was ready, Wes Johnson was ready. Nobody said they should stay.
It's sad to say, but those guys and the draft philosphy of that time are ancient history at this point. A lot has changed in such a short time.

Eh, that's too strong of a statement. He made the game winner against Maryland. He made a bunch of clutch threes vs. Georgetown. He hit a critical three late against Miami. He hit the buzzer beater at Clemson last year. Also, everyone remembers Gillons buzzer beater vs Duke but it was Battle who won that game for us with bucket after bucket late second half.

Fsu 3 to tie

Battles main weakness to me is his left hand not his jumper. His jumper can improve in the nba amyways. Hes gone

Battles main weakness to me is his left hand not his jumper. His jumper can improve in the nba amyways. Hes gone

...to the G league. Just wanted to finish your sentence. :)

Love Battle too, but I think he’s a great player with a lot of expectations on him.

I can guarantee you I can find posts saying Dion and Jonny were not ready. Guarantee.

Dion went #4 and Jonny went #6. Battle ain't even sniffing the bottom half of the 1st round, let alone top 10. He's a second round pick at best this year...JMHO.

Dion went #4 and Jonny went #6. Battle ain't even sniffing even the bottom half of the 1st round, let alone top 10. He's a second round pick at best this year...JMHO.

I’m not the one who brought up Dion or Jonny,what’s your point?

I’m not the one who brought up Dion or Jonny,what’s your point?

My point is that they were both top 10 (almost top 5) lottery picks, so they were certainly ready. I think, if I recall correctly, JB even made a statement that he's never had anyone more ready than Dion, or something along those lines. Battle, has a lot more polishing needed, and why he most likely won't even be drafted in the first round. If neither Dion or Flynn were ready, no way in hell are they lottery picks.

My point is that they were both top 10 (almost top 5) lottery picks, so they were certainly ready. Battle, has a lot more polishing needed, and why he most likely won't even be drafted in the first round. If neither Dion or Flynn were ready, no way in hell are they lottery picks.

That’s fantastic.

It has nothing to do with my post.

What I said in my first post stands and is proven every year.
Note in the post I linked with multiple posters saying Dion wouldn’t be lottery...lol

That’s fantastic.

It has nothing to do with my post.

What I said in my first post stands and is proven every year.
Note in the post I linked with multiple posters saying Dion wouldn’t be lottery...lol

Is it? Was Richardson ready? Was Ennis? Was Lydon? Was McCollough? They were certainly ready to take the money and run (as I would too if I were in their shoes) but that doesn't mean they were actually ready to perform and contribute immediately or in any real capacity their first season. Actually, it was proven that they weren't ready, hence being in D and G leagues their first season post SU.

Is it? Was Richardson ready? Was Ennis? Was Lydon? Was McCollough? They were certainly ready to take the money and run (as I would too if I were in their shoes) but that doesn't mean they were actually ready to perform and contribute immediately or in any real capacity their first season. Actually, it was proven that they weren't ready, hence being in D and G leagues their first season post SU.

Yes. A player is never “ready”. “NBA ready” isn’t a thing. The player is ready when they leave...that’s the point that very few here understand

Maybe we get lucky and he pulls a Grayson or a Nova/UNC scenario and comes back. Like Marcus Paige did as well. This is a deep SG class. Things SHOULD be much easier for him next season with more space and less attention. Reinforcements are coming.

The same folks do this every year. No one is "ready". Ever

Dion Waiters says hello. He was ready physically and mentally. Most guys aren't ready to play against grown men. He was. Maybe Battle is too.

I can guarantee you I can find posts saying Dion and Jonny were not ready. Guarantee.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was the consensus of the board.

Yes. A player is never “ready”. “NBA ready” isn’t a thing. The player is ready when they leave...that’s the point that very few here understand

I guess, if you are referring to the individual's mental position that they believe or think they're actually ready, so they leave. However, that position of course has nothing to due with their true physical readiness, skill set, etc. There's been numerous players who were "ready when they left" who never ended up being drafted or ever really playing in the NBA.

I'm not sure some of us are watching the same game. Tyus is ready. If we had an outside threat to keep defenses honest...like almost any other JB team in our history...Tyus would be putting up huge numbers.

He gets more weak side help defenders than almost any player in our history, and he's still getting to the rim and finishing.

Those final possessions...teams are throwing the kitchen sink at him.

It is literally 2.5 on 5 every possession. Frank and Tyus are scoring at incredibley efficient rates given the team's overall makeup.

I agree with all this. The two things I think hold him back in terms of draft stock though is:

1. He simply isn't shooting the 3 ball well.
2. He doesn't rebound, project to be an above average rebounder, or create for others very much.

A guy that's pretty much purely an inside scorer and nothing else just isn't super valuable in the NBA. He's a great college player and I'm not sure staying another year will really help him, but I don't think he'll be drafted very highly.

I guess, if you are referring to the individual's mental position that they believe or think they're actually ready, so they leave. However, that position of course has nothing to due with their true physical readiness, skill set, etc. There's been numerous players who were "ready when they left" who never ended up being drafted or ever really playing in the NBA.

Question: who was more NBA READY when they left Syracuse regardless of how old they were:Chris McCollugh or Rak Christmas?

Which one has made the most money and had the longer NBA career?

How much is Battle really going to improve his stock?

I'm gonna use draft express, I think they are the best. Most recent top 100 is from Feb 3, they have Battle at 49 (2 spots ahead of Brisset, fwiw). So you look at that and say he's nowhere near the first round, come back, improve, etc.

Well they also did a ranking for 2019, and obviously a lot can change, but they have Battle at 43 in 2019. I'd imagine most guys who are ranked around 50 in one season don't end up vaulting into round 1 after a year.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was the consensus of the board.

It's moved from "no one said they should stay" to "it wasn't the consensus of the board" just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom