Loyola College | Syracusefan.com

Loyola College

Townie72

All American
As most of you know, Loyola College of Maryland won the Men’s Lacrosse Championship yesterday in Foxborough, MA.

If you aren’t paying attention, it’s pretty easy to miss Loyola College as you drive on North Charles Street in Baltimore. You won’t be able to miss Johns Hopkins which is located a few miles south on the same street. And you sure as heck can’t miss the University of Maryland driving south on US1 from the DC beltway.

I know people are going to say that this belongs on the Lax board. But it also belongs on a board that talks so much about the size of schools and their facilities and resources and how all of this is related to success.

Loyola College is tiny compared to just about every school in the Lax Top 20. It has far, far less resources than the Ivy schools and from their fellow Jesuit school located 60 miles to the south.

I'm not saying there is any over-riding message here.

It’s a good story that I hope the press picks up on. Loyola College is truly “the little guy”.

Good to see the little guy win occasionally. If SU can't win it, I'm glad to see Loyola with the trophy.

Nice school. I had the pleasure of visiting the campus twice last fall. Got caught up in a group that included most of the men's basketball team during my first visit in September. Little did I suspect at the time that the hoops team was going to go on a nice run in March and win the MAAC championship. Of course, they then had to face Ohio State in their first game in the Big Dance. You know how that turned out. Loyola was not without experience playing the big boys, however, as they had faced Kentucky during the early part of the season.

Congratulations Greyhounds.

As most of you know, Loyola College of Maryland won the Men’s Lacrosse Championship yesterday in Foxborough, MA.

If you aren’t paying attention, it’s pretty easy to miss Loyola College as you drive on North Charles Street in Baltimore. You won’t be able to miss Johns Hopkins which is located a few miles south on the same street. And you sure as heck can’t miss the University of Maryland driving south on US1 from the DC beltway.

I know people are going to say that this belongs on the Lax board. But it also belongs on a board that talks so much about the size of schools and their facilities and resources and how all of this is related to success.

Loyola College is tiny compared to just about every school in the Lax Top 20. It has far, far less resources than the Ivy schools and from their fellow Jesuit school located 60 miles to the south.

It’s a good story that I hope the press picks up on. Loyola College is truly “the little guy”.

Good to see the little guy win occasionally. If SU can't win it, I'm glad to see Loyola with the trophy.

Great school with a really good lacrosse fan base.

They have great dorms and beautiful women. I enjoyed my time there very much, spent the first two years of college there. The weight rooms and locker rooms are really more like a high school than Syracuse or Maryland's facilities.

They have great dorms and beautiful women. I enjoyed my time there very much, spent the first two years of college there. The weight rooms and locker rooms are really more like a high school than Syracuse or Maryland's facilities.

Yeah, I was shocked at how bad they were when I arrived. I'd say they were a step up from my high school facilities, but those were old and dingy. It was bad.

This is a pretty good point and I love seeing my alma mater getting a bit of pub this year -- hoops first, now lacrosse. The only counterpoints I would make are these:

-- The school finished a major athletic facilties upgrade a couple years ago, a fact that has to help recruiting (not to mention being located in a hot bed of lacrosse and having a pretty rich tradition).

-- Lacrosse is tough to judge by since there are so few schools that actually play division I lacrosse. Just 57, I think, schools in DI. With as popular as lacrosse is in MD/LI and upstate and the growth of it in many other areas of the country, there is a lot of bottle-necking at the division I level.

Regardless, it is pretty cool to see a truly tiny school win a big-time title.

I always enjoy seeing my fellow Jesuit schools win (so long as it isn't Georgetown!!)

This is a pretty good point and I love seeing my alma mater getting a bit of pub this year -- hoops first, now lacrosse. The only counterpoints I would make are these:

-- The school finished a major athletic facilties upgrade a couple years ago, a fact that has to help recruiting (not to mention being located in a hot bed of lacrosse and having a pretty rich tradition).

-- Lacrosse is tough to judge by since there are so few schools that actually play division I lacrosse. Just 57, I think, schools in DI. With as popular as lacrosse is in MD/LI and upstate and the growth of it in many other areas of the country, there is a lot of bottle-necking at the division I level.

Regardless, it is pretty cool to see a truly tiny school win a big-time title.

Especially when you consider the Goliaths that Loyola accomplished this against like UVA and Maryland.

And the schools that aren't huge seem to be rich. Princeton has more money than most 3rd world countries and they want to be good at lacrosse.

Notre Dame has spent a fortune and leads every league in lacrosse whining. It's great Loyola knocked them out!

I would think that a whole bunch of D1 lacrosse coaches might have a lot of 'splaining to do to their ADs. Especially when they go in with next year's list of things they have to have to be competitive. Georgetown has been busting their pick at this for 20 years and hasn't gotten a sniff of an NC.

My only problem is What happened to our program which was by all the standards for successful big time teams seems to have been met. Instead of getting better, we are on a wet slide down the mountain.:bat:

My only problem is What happened to our program which was by all the standards for successful big time teams seems to have been met. Instead of getting better, we are on a wet slide down the mountain.:bat:

I watched SU play three times this year in person and a couple of times on TV.

The game at JHU in person was particularly instructive. This year's team doesn't have the players that we used to have and we really miss one or two or three of the big time players we have typically have. I mean, look at the teams we lost to. We barely got by St "Freaking" Johns.

Some would say that everyone else has gotten better because of there is more talent on more teams because of the growth of the game. I hear that and it would seem to make sense. But when I watched this year's team, it was disappointing. One of our better teams from the past would have beaten this year's squad by a whole lot of goals.

I don't know what the answer is other than "get better players". Maybe Mrs. Simmons --- if she is still around ---could co-sign for some cars for the players wives or girlfriends.

I don't care how they do it, just do it.

I'm willing to sit through the long slog back to football relevance. It's OK if basketball is a constant fixture in the top 20 even if they don't make the Final 4 often. But I expect SU Lax to dominate. To never lose. To win so many NC's that they stop having the tourney and mail us the trophy every year at the start of the season.

With the move to parity in D-I lax over the last couple of years the X's and O's have taken on more importance, and Desko seems to me a "roll the ball out" kind of coach.

Maybe Loyola would like to add D1 football. The Big East could use another team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom