Lydon at the 5 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon at the 5

It's a tricky situation. Because Lydon's played so little on the wing, he's a liability out there. This is compounded by the fact that he's not moving as well this season, either because he added weight or because he hurt his Achilles, maybe a little of both. So if we want his offense, he's got to take the 5 on defense. So Thompson's bumped out.

Credit to Boeheim for recognizing this quickly in the second half and getting Roberson back in.

It's a tricky situation. Because Lydon's played so little on the wing, he's a liability out there. This is compounded by the fact that he's not moving as well this season, either because he added weight or because he hurt his Achilles, maybe a little of both. So if we want his offense, he's got to take the 5 on defense. So Thompson's bumped out.

Credit to Boeheim for recognizing this quickly in the second half and getting Roberson back in.
Not sure if it was entirely by JB's design. Thompson picked up a couple quick fouls and the engaged Roberson showed up tonight, so JB just rode that horse.

Not sure if it was entirely by JB's design. Thompson picked up a couple quick fouls and the engaged Roberson showed up tonight, so JB just rode that horse.

Good point, no telling how differently things might have gone if Thompson didn't take himself out so quickly.

Good point, no telling how differently things might have gone if Thompson didn't take himself out so quickly.

Agreed--I think Thompson just happened to have a bad start on a day when Boeheim wasn't tolerating anything, and was sending a message. And that strategy worked only because Roberson played well in reserve. If he hadn't done anything, I'm sure we would have gone back to TT. But Roberson stepped up, so JB rode that horse.

He'll play more. And now he knows that he'll need to defend better, without fouling.

Agreed--I think Thompson just happened to have a bad start on a day when Boeheim wasn't tolerating anything, and was sending a message. And that strategy worked only because Roberson played well in reserve. If he hadn't done anything, I'm sure we would have gone back to TT. But Roberson stepped up, so JB rode that horse.

He'll play more. And now he knows that he'll need to defend better, without fouling.
Save a horse, ride a Roberson.

first off, i'm not sure where people are coming up with this narrative that lydon gained bad weight or isn't as mobile as last year. he looks like the same dude to me. if he is injured than he shouldn't be playing. also, boeheim has played lydon and Thompson at both the 4 and 5 together, so that isn't it, Thompson is fine on the wing in the defense.

first off, i'm not sure where people are coming up with this narrative that lydon gained bad weight or isn't as mobile as last year. he looks like the same dude to me. if he is injured than he shouldn't be playing. also, boeheim has played lydon and Thompson at both the 4 and 5 together, so that isn't it, Thompson is fine on the wing in the defense.
TT is anything but fine on defense. Terrible is a better word. He can't guard anyone. Terrific skills on offense though.

TT is anything but fine on defense. Terrible is a better word. He can't guard anyone. Terrific skills on offense though.
yeah he's bad, so is Andrew white. so is DC. we cant play 5.05 guys, so he is going to have to play.

I was going to say that I thought 4 shooters plus Roberson was a good line but then I looked at the box score and Roberson only had 6 rebounds and no ORs. Surprising.

I was going to say that I thought 4 shooters plus Roberson was a good line but then I looked at the box score and Roberson only had 6 rebounds and no ORs. Surprising.
The thing about Roberson thought is when he is being active it isn't just the rebounds is all the plays he keeps alive and deflections he gets that land in the hands of Lydon for a dunk or allow a reset where we hit a 3. Having good Roberson is so important.

If TT is on the floor he has to play the wing on d. He can't play the middle. When he's in the middle, Lydon is forced to the wing and BOTH suffer defensively. We know TT is struggling on d, so keep him in a position where we at least have 4 other guys comfortable on d and live with it.

Stats don't explain it all. Lots of tips. We play with 4 guys on the wing a lot, this includes our center, so roberson finds himself battling multiple guys for offensive rebounds a lot. This is why he gets a lot of fouls on rebounds. Roberson is fine. Sick of all the hate he gets. He is who he is and its not changing. Give me a roberson every day. He needs minutes on this team and he's going to get them.

We need Lydon at the 5 but I fear he will be playing D at the level Rak did his senior year, knowing we can't afford to have him in foul trouble. Good teams are going to attack him on every trip.

Last nights lineup was great because it opens up a spot for Roberson where like last year he can just be a junkyard dog and do all the dirty work (defense and Rebounds) and not worry about scoring as he is the fifth option on the court. I like Thompsons future here, but as good as he is on offense he gives up more on the other end.

There's no 5 in the league that can guard Lydon on the perimeter. He's the ultimate center in this era of small ball basketball. We can be a good ACC team with the lineup that we threw out there most of the game last night.

Stats don't explain it all. Lots of tips. We play with 4 guys on the wing a lot, this includes our center, so roberson finds himself battling multiple guys for offensive rebounds a lot. This is why he gets a lot of fouls on rebounds. Roberson is fine. Sick of all the hate he gets. He is who he is and its not changing. Give me a roberson every day. He needs minutes on this team and he's going to get them.

One more thing: White deserves credit for working for those rebounds (his first double-figure rebounding game?), but that wouldn't have happened without Roberson occupying Miami players' attention. No matter what the stats say, Roberson's valuable.

If TT is on the floor he has to play the wing on d. He can't play the middle. When he's in the middle, Lydon is forced to the wing and BOTH suffer defensively. We know TT is struggling on d, so keep him in a position where we at least have 4 other guys comfortable on d and live with it.
Yeah I made this same point yesterday. You can get TT in the game but it's gotta be on the wing on d. Agreed on Roberson. We started to really struggle when he didn't play...

We need Lydon at the 5 but I fear he will be playing D at the level Rak did his senior year, knowing we can't afford to have him in foul trouble. Good teams are going to attack him on every trip.

Last nights lineup was great because it opens up a spot for Roberson where like last year he can just be a junkyard dog and do all the dirty work (defense and Rebounds) and not worry about scoring as he is the fifth option on the court. I like Thompsons future here, but as good as he is on offense he gives up more on the other end.

There's no 5 in the league that can guard Lydon on the perimeter. He's the ultimate center in this era of small ball basketball. We can be a good ACC team with the lineup that we threw out there most of the game last night.

That's right -- hoop is a two-way game, and Lydon will create mismatches at the offensive end, even though we sacrifice a bit on the defensive end having him man the middle.

In that lineup, Lydon has to play the 5 because nobody else is suited to do so. Just the way it is. He's also the top shot blocker on the team.

Last edited:
I thought Andrew played one of his better defensive games last night.

I only saw the second half, but I'd agree with this. Clearly our zone takes time to figure out, and practice against our second team just doesn't cut it. It's all about time and learning how to react.

The thing about Roberson thought is when he is being active it isn't just the rebounds is all the plays he keeps alive and deflections he gets that land in the hands of Lydon for a dunk or allow a reset where we hit a 3. Having good Roberson is so important.

I'm so glad others see this as well. And even Gminski said the same thing last night.

I'd love to see someone keep stats on balls Roby kept alive with a tip or fighting for the rebound.

That's right -- hoop is a two-way game, and Lydon will create mismatches at the offensive end, even though we sacrifice a bit on the defensive end having him man the middle.

In that lineup, Lydon has to play the 5 because nobody else is suited to do so. Just the way it is. He's also the top shot blocker on the team.
Eh maybe - more likely they will switch their 5 to Roberson and have a more mobile big chase Lydon.

Eh maybe - more likely they will switch their 5 to Roberson and have a more mobile big chase Lydon.
That is great. I love Roberson on a 5. He will be quicker and he is physical. That means offensive rebounds or deflections that can be easy buckets or good resets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom