Lydon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon

He'll play professionally in Europe.
He will definitely get drafted in NBA. How long he sticks in the NBA is up to him. He just needs to be more selfish and aggressive. Either way he will be a pro.

You aren't a playoff team that needs to shore up it's ability to stretch the floor with a catch and shoot four on your second unit. That's where he's going to get drafted. That's why he'll get drafted.

Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't. But anyone at that size that can shoot threes will get a look.

I don't watch the NBA. I wouldn't no. Good luck to him.

I'll defer to your NBA knowledge, but I'd be leery about drafting anyone who, despite the size, is totally uncomfortable putting up jump shots with a defender near him. At this point Lydon won't even shoot over a guard who's switched. Maybe it's just a case of having developed some bad habits, but it would seem to cancel out his biggest strength.

I agree - his hesitancy isn't good. But to me, our offense in the half court is so poor, that I can't necessarily fault him for that.

We run that high pick and pop for him and 1) his screen is crap and 2) the passes he receives are poor as they are.

Now, you stick him in a corner on a second unit squad on the Rockets or Toronto where he just catches and shoots and doesn't have to think, I think he can be successful.

I don't think he'll be some out of this world NBA player. I legitimately think he'll be a solid second unit guy.

Lydon has really fallen off in recent games. He had more aggressiveness with his shot in November of his freshman year. No idea what has happened to him. But he has absolutely zero of that alpha type player look you expect of somebody who is going to be a first round pick. Of course, this is Syracuse though so he will be gonzo along with Battle, while Luke Kennard will absolutely be back.

I said Lydon will be a second unit stretch four. Not sure if you are referring to me or someone else with the "crazy potential".

I don't think the Ryan Anderson comparison is good at all. I think it's lazy.

Both stretch fours with limited dribbling skills...same height body type

Nice college game player. Not a pro. Sometimes you need to face reality.
With all due respect, his showing at the combine will determine that.

Lydon fit's the role OKC is using Sabonis for in the NBA this year more than Sabonis. That guy who averaged 20 and 10 last year in college is just sitting in the corner for OKC waiting to receive a pass from Westbrook to shoot 3's. Sabonis isn't even a good 3pt shooter.

Big men in college are pretty dependent on the system to get them the ball

We really don't have a system, thus he rarely gets the ball unless he's 23 feet from the rim, which is not where he's best.

If you were creating a spot on offense for him he'd get it 6-12 feet from the rim in the extended blocks with options, and then back-out for threes on spin action.

But we don't run a system or have anyone that can throw an entry pass so he's forced to create on the perimeter.

Gillon isn't the greatest, but Lydon had lots of opportunities for shots today that he simply passed up. I can't count how many times I was screaming at the TV for him to shoot the ball. He either receives the ball open and insists on making the shot fake allowing a defender to close on him or he is covered makes the shot fake and then refuses to use it to get a decent shot.

I feel like last year or early this year we were begging our jump shooters to occasionally use a shot fake; it seems like Lydon swung all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd like to burn his shot fake.

Gillon isn't the greatest, but Lydon had lots of opportunities for shots today that he simply passed up. I can't count how many times I was screaming at the TV for him to shoot the ball. He either receives the ball open and insists on making the shot fake allowing a defender to close on him or he is covered makes the shot fake and then refuses to use it to get a decent shot.

I feel like last year or early this year we were begging our jump shooters to occasionally use a shot fake; it seems like Lydon swung all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd like to burn his shot fake.

He needs to watch film of Kyle Wiltcher from last year. No reason he can't be that player and more.

I think he played well today. He was the only one rebounding and playing good defense. The PGs in the NBA are much better than Gillon, and Lydon will have a lot more looks either next year at Cuse or in the NBA

He's played well all year. He just hasn't progressed in his ability to be a go to scorer. He's a complimentary scorer who doesn't look for his shot enough.

What did he have today though, like 12 rebounds and 4 assists? He always does a ton of things out there. He's just not scoring enough, not getting the ball enough, and not pulling the trigger enough when he does get the ball in position to shoot.

I'm sure he will test the waters, and scouts will tell him go back put some weight on and get more aggressive.

I thought so too but not when the description that best describes your game is "timid" (to put it mildly)
I hear ya and that's one of the main obstacles he'll have to overcome but he is only 19.

JB in his presser said he's mentally not ready to be a big time scorer, still developing, etc...but whatever...

Well its his career, I will get killed for this, but if he leaves now he will be spending a lot of time in the D league.

There's a difference between being NBA ready and draftable. He's draftable but at the pro level, he won't contribute much immediately because of his limited skill set.

There's a difference between being NBA ready and draftable. He's draftable but at the pro level, he won't contribute much immediately because of his limited skill set.

I don't think he is a first round pick.

If I were Gillon, I wouldn't pass to him either, since he doesn't want to shoot the ball.

If he wants to play in the NBA, he has to leave now. Another year of posting a 3:1 pump fake to shots taken ratio and he'll fall off the draft boards.

He's played well all year. He just hasn't progressed in his ability to be a go to scorer. He's a complimentary scorer who doesn't look for his shot enough.

What did he have today though, like 12 rebounds and 4 assists? He always does a ton of things out there. He's just not scoring enough, not getting the ball enough, and not pulling the trigger enough when he does get the ball in position to shoot.

I agree. It is tough when your PG is taking more shots than your NBA lottery pick, and your stretch four has more assists than your PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom