Lydon | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon

The good thing is, he'll have a chance to get evaluated and get feedback. He'll have to see what happens there and make what he thinks is the best decision.

I would be stunned if any Nba guys tell him to go.

Agree with Cuseguy that he is not an NBA player at this time.

Not that that will stop him from leaving. He will.

Classic example of a guy who should stay four years and then maybe.

He's not a catch and shoot 4. He's a catch and hesitate and pass to someone who's covered 4.

If he leaves now his trajectory is D League and then Europe.

Very accurate. Too many times this year when we need a scorer on the road, he posts a 5 or 7 spot. And ww aren't even asking him to be a primary scorer, as an nba prospect he is actually more of an intangible guy, which is ridiculous.

Yes, some of these kids come to the cuse with $$$ shaded glasses and after 1 good year they think they are doing us a favor by coming back. TL regressed and i dont even see the potential and upside in the pros. Stretch forwards in the league these days are 7 foot and have a legit shot. But, he will leave bc the league drafts on the "possibilities" which hurts the college game and makes the nba borderline unwatchable. Actually, AAU is mostly to blame. Kids grow up playing tons of games with running clocks and are taught to take an open 25 footer if you cant dump it down to the rim. Zero mid range game or inside out post play. Its a new Era of hoops and its ugly.

I don't mind the prevalence of the three at all...but I do most the low post game and as you noted the inside-out game. I think most shooters shoot better off of kickouts than any other pass.

But will you consider him an NBA player when he's playing in the NBA next season, or won't that count for some reason?

But he won't be playing in the NBA -- and that's no knock on him. Nice college player, good kid. Love to have him back. But it's a big reason why college basketball is less appealing and the NBA is unwatchable (in my opinion).

I don't mind the prevalence of the three at all...but I do most the low post game and as you noted the inside-out game. I think most shooters shoot better off of kickouts than any other pass.

Totally agree, good point. The game and shots happen more in rhythm. A better game to watch.

But will you consider him an NBA player when he's playing in the NBA next season, or won't that count for some reason?

And if he's not will you admit you were wrong, Mr. Everyone and their brother should leave for the Nba?

I mean it is about money but not solely. Don't you go to college to get a job? You want him to stay 4 years and then never pick up a basketball again?

I think it comes down to how much he enjoys college if he hates school then leave. If he likes school then he should stay...

If he comes out this year in 4 years he could find himself in the exact same place in his career and that is playing over seas. If he stays in college at least he could leave with a degree I guess.

Yes it's about the money and numbers. It's a game of numbers...30 or so teams in the league. 15 or so players per team. That's around 450-500 players in the best league in the world where you can make the most money. If you have a shot at a guaranteed three year deal, you take it. You don't know after that if you'll be one of the 500 best players in the world anymore!

Couldn't disagree with this more. There are no guarantees that he will stay two additional years and be better positioned to succeed in the league. Far, far more guys are destined to get their try out and fail, then actually make an impact in the league. If he can get a guaranteed 3 year contract, he should probably take it bank the money and work his butt off in the D league to try to make a place for himself. Chances are whether he goes after this season or stays and goes after two more he is still going to be a D League and then Euro league guy. The difference if he goes this year, is that he may be able to bank some cash thanks to the NBAs system which requires it to give 30 kids each year 3 year guaranteed contracts and its burning desire to give those contracts to underclassmen and Euros.

Do you really believe that Ennis or Grant would have fared better economically if they had stayed in school? They'd certainly have had a few more years of college highlights and memories, but I don't believe that they would have been better positioned for longevity in the NBA because they stayed longer.

From a pure economics standpoint, you might be right.

But this is a classic example of a kid who could be a lottery pick with 2 more years in school, not a faux first round pick.

He's still growing into his body for chrissakes.

He is exactly the kind of kid who shouldn't go early.

And if he's not will you admit you were wrong, Mr. Everyone and their brother should leave for the Nba?
He will play in the NBA at some point, that I'm pretty sure about. If for some reason that doesn't happen, I will certainly admit I was wrong.

I think it comes down to how much he enjoys college if he hates school then leave. If he likes school then he should stay...

If he comes out this year in 4 years he could find himself in the exact same place in his career and that is playing over seas. If he stays in college at least he could leave with a degree I guess.

I was watching one of those espn 30/30's on the 0/7, 0/8 Florida teams, and Noah,Brewer, Horford who were lock top ten picks, Noah might have been the number one pick all talking about how much they loved college and wanted to come back, and this was after winning a title and having nothing else to prove.

He will play in the NBA at some point, that I'm pretty sure about. If for some reason that doesn't happen, I will certainly admit I was wrong.

Yes at some point, its foolish to think that time is next year.

I'll admit though, going into the year I had him as a sure fire first rounder. Did he get better? I believe he is a better player, and his numbers say that he has. With the eye test though, do I feel he's a definite NBA player? Not as much as I did before the season.

yea, i noticed the same thing today in-person. Lydon was frustrated repeatedly with Gillon's decisions on offense -- he kept shaking off plays, wanting to go ISO and you could see Lydon throw his hands up, being like what? His numbers have come down since Gillon's been FT point guard. Not that we haven't been winning but I don't understand how he plays so far away from the ball and rarely gets it too. Very frustrating.

I'm never sure if Gillon just, having never played PG, isn't confident enough to make those passes, or what is happening. There were so many times it should have been a quick pass back to Lydon, and it never happened until well after the defense recovered.

I did see Lydon upcourt calling for the ball a couple times and Gillon doesn't throw it up to him. Maybe because he doesn't think he'll shoot it anyway, or maybe he's ignoring him. Who knows.

Such a weird squad!

From a pure economics standpoint, you might be right.

But this is a classic example of a kid who could be a lottery pick with 2 more years in school, not a faux first round pick.

He's still growing into his body for chrissakes.

He is exactly the kind of kid who shouldn't go early.
Do understand how few lottery picks (or even first round picks) these days profile as four year college players?

But he won't be playing in the NBA -- and that's no knock on him. Nice college player, good kid. Love to have him back. But it's a big reason why college basketball is less appealing and the NBA is unwatchable (in my opinion).

this is the 5th or 6th time I've read the highlighted sentiment today, and I find it stunning.

your opinion is your opinion and I am not trying to denigrate it or talk you out of it . . . but, to me, basketball as it is being played in the NBA today is the best it has ever been. Maybe not if you are watching Sacramento vs Brooklyn, but even games between non-playoff teams - say, Minnesota vs Charlotte - are fun to watch and stocked with talented players doing amazing things. To me, it is college ball that is unwatchable. I grew up a Syracuse fan and that's why I still watch, but other than the Orange, the college game is putrid. And, frankly, even with the Orange the last few years.

And to get this back on topic: I don't see a postion for Lydon in the NBA. I'm sure he'll get drafted and fill out a roster for a few years, but he is much smaller than the typical NBA stretch 4 and he's not skilled enough to be a 3. And if he's afraid to shoot against the likes of Miami and Ga Tech, what's he going to do when Draymond Green is defending him?

this is the 5th or 6th time I've read the highlighted sentiment today, and I find it stunning.

your opinion is your opinion and I am not trying to denigrate it or talk you out of it . . . but, to me, basketball as it is being played in the NBA today is the best it has ever been. Maybe not if you are watching Sacramento vs Brooklyn, but even games between non-playoff teams - say, Minnesota vs Charlotte - are fun to watch and stocked with talented players doing amazing things. To me, it is college ball that is unwatchable. I grew up a Syracuse fan and that's why I still watch, but other than the Orange, the college game is putrid. And, frankly, even with the Orange the last few years.

And to get this back on topic: I don't see a postion for Lydon in the NBA. I'm sure he'll get drafted and fill out a roster for a few years, but he is much smaller than the typical NBA stretch 4 and he's not skilled enough to be a 3. And if he's afraid to shoot against the likes of Miami and Ga Tech, what's he going to do when Draymond Green is defending him?

I get what you are saying. Just as a casual fan with no team rooting interest, the NBA game is soulless to me. The players absolutely play like it is their job. The punch in, they take a bunch of shots, they leave. Yes, the overall talent level is better. But there is also the appearance (to me) of this WWE style star system where the whole thing seems to boil down to individual star A vs. individual star B and everyone else is scenery. I also am not skilled enough at watching basketball to discern very much interest in defense for most of the time I've watched. Certainly players are making calculated expenditures of effort on the D end of the floor and are also very conscious of not being in the frame for another player's ESPN highlight. College has less skill but more passion and intensity and that is something I really like about the game. I also can't ignore that I've been trained to be a die hard Syracuse fan my whole life so I am hanging on every possession. I'm sure there are Charlotte Bobcats fans that are the same way and would resist my assertion that there is no passion or heart in the NBA game (regular season anyway, I'm sure the level of intensity ramps up in the months-long playoffs).

Much of this NBA vs college debate is in the heart of the fan who either does or doesn't have an emotional attachment to one or the other.

The Nba playoffs are a lot of fun, the regular season is a bore, and everyone makes the playoffs, and this year there are two teams that can win a title.

I'm hearing that him going to the NBA is not a guarantee. Fully expect him to participate in the combine. Not saying he is coming back for sure but better chances than what I was hearing at the beginning of the season which the talk was he was 100% gone. That's all I got on it right now. Also fully expect Tyus to come back. A trio of Battle, Thompson and Lydon would be nice for next year.

I think both Battle and Lydon will be combine beasts and wind up going. We'll survive.

I distinctly remember posters labeling other guys as "not a pro"...Then they promptly went pro.

It's always the guys who don't watch the NBA that make the poor predictions. Anytime I see something that doesn't make sense when it comes to the draft or pro player evaluations I search their posts with NBA and their forum name and they brag about not watching an NBA game for a decade.

Do understand how few lottery picks (or even first round picks) these days profile as four year college players?

Do you understand that Tyler Lydon is still struggling to be a consistently competent college player, let alone an NBA player?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom