Malachi One and Done? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

I hear you but Lydon can shoot the three but more often than not won't shoot the three. I see way more upside out of Mal than I do Lydon. But I'm not a talent evaluator for the pros. I've seen Lydon get more tentative as the competition improves but Mal get more aggressive and effective against better teams. Mal also plays taller than he is listed in my mind.

Malachi's strengths and weaknesses as described by Draft Express.

Strengths:
-Decent size for a shooting guard at 6-5 ½ in shoes
-Excellent frame that will fill out nicely
-Very long arms. 6-10 ½ wingspan
-Nice scoring instincts
-Good in transition
-Gets to the free throw line at a good rate
-Can get hot from outside. Capable of knocking down shots in rhythm with feet set or off the dribble
-Very good lateral quickness

Weaknesses
-Good, not great athlete. More smooth than explosive
-A little undersized for a small forward
-Not a great ball-handler in the half-court.
-No left hand
-Shooting mechanics are unorthodox. Has a very rigid stroke. Sometimes just flings ball at the rim. Other times shot looks very good. Needs to become more consistent with his stroke
-Relies very heavily on outside shot. Over half of field goal attempts

Outlook: Streaky scorer who can get hot quickly and knock down a barrage of outside shots. Talented prospect missing a good amount of polish and experience. Reclassified and is now much older than most of his classmates. Will turn 20 during his freshman season in college.

Lydon's Strength and weaknesses as described by draft express.

Strengths
-Has a nice frame that should fill out in time. Big shoulders
-Good wingspan
-Solid athlete. Fluid and mobile
-Decent skill-level on the perimeter
-Very nice shooting stroke. Can make catch and shoot 3-pointers when left open
-Can create off the dribble a bit in straight line
-Rotates for blocks
-Crashes offensive glass. Competitive guy
-Intelligent player. Plays within himself

Weaknesses
-Still filling out physically. Lack of strength affects him in every facet of the game
-Cannot utilize his size inside the paint
-Struggles to finish around the basket
-Poor defensive rebounder
-Lacks a degree of toughness
-Little bit upright on perimeter defensively

Outlook Stretch four with a nice skill-level. Still raw in many facets of the game but shows a solid framework to improve as he gets stronger and matures. Was not particularly productive in this year's EYBL. May be better suited in more structured settings playing alongside other good players. Plays a coveted position in today's basketball. Looks likely to outplay his current recruiting ranking.

Strengths:
-Nice scoring instincts
-Good in transition
-Can get hot from outside. Capable of knocking down shots in rhythm with feet set or off the dribble

Weaknesses
-No left hand
-Shooting mechanics are unorthodox. Has a very rigid stroke. Sometimes just flings ball at the rim. Other times shot looks very good. Needs to become more consistent with his stroke

Outlook: Streaky scorer who can get hot quickly and knock down a barrage of outside shots. Talented prospect missing a good amount of polish and experience. Reclassified and is now much older than most of his classmates. Will turn 20 during his freshman season in college.

Strengths
-Good wingspan
-Rotates for blocks

Weaknesses
-Still filling out physically. Lack of strength affects him in every facet of the game

Outlook Stretch four with a nice skill-level. Still raw in many facets of the game but shows a solid framework to improve as he gets stronger and matures. Was not particularly productive in this year's EYBL. May be better suited in more structured settings playing alongside other good players. Plays a coveted position in today's basketball. Looks likely to outplay his current recruiting ranking.

the 'ole "white guy is an intelligent player" mantra. ;) If he was so intelligent, he would pull the trigger more, and hesitate less. The difference between Mali and Tyler is attitude: Mali knows and plays like he is auditioning for the next level, Tyler plays like he has alot to learn before qualifying for the next level. Both are good qualities, and seem to fit each young man at this point in their development. Tyler being asked to play out of position cannot be minimized as a monumental task that would cause anyone to struggle. Forgetting about the future for awhile, I just hope they keep learning team basketball and enjoy some post season success this year.

I think both are nice prospects in a year or two. Like mentioned above Lydon plays that coveted and ideal stretch 4 position. Love the way Mal is playing right now.

Mal should come back, get better, and see how he fares with more attention paid to him. He should look at Caris Levert. Not sure if he can become better than him but LeVert (currently injured) has become a pretty dominating player in all facets of the game with most of the attention being geared to stop him. Similar size and style of play when Levert was younger.

Lydon's not ready. He has more potential down the road because of his position, imo. I certainly hope both are back but would not be surprised if Mal left, after what we have experienced in the past.

Strengths:
-Nice scoring instincts
-Good in transition

Weaknesses
-No left hand

Strengths
-Good wingspan
-Rotates for blocks

Weaknesses

Didn't we bring Mal in as a 2G? Why are they evaluating him as a small forward? Funny how I see Mal as much more athletic than Lydon, but Lydon gets a better review in that area. Mal is occasionally VERY explosive, especially on rebounds. He goes way up and snags them every once in a while and I'm sufficiently impressed.

Didn't we bring Mal in as a 2G? Why are they evaluating him as a small forward? Funny how I see Mal as much more athletic than Lydon, but Lydon gets a better review in that area. Mal is occasionally VERY explosive, especially on rebounds. He goes way up and snags them every once in a while and I'm sufficiently impressed.

I tend to agree. I think Mal is a bit underrated while Lydon overrated in terms of athleticism.

Yeah, we brought him in as a 2. I don't know why it's seen this way, I guess you would have to ask a scout. JB did say yesterday on his radio show that the difference between Lydon and Mal is Lydon is more of a well rounded player, where Malachi is a scorer. I think the issue with Mal might be is he is a cross between a 2/3 right now because he isn't a great ball handler yet, and the NBA doesn't see him as being able to rebound as a 3. Also guys like Lydon are more difference makers in todays NBA, than guys like Mal. There's 2 Iman Shumpert/Jr Smiths on just about every team.

Yeah, we brought him in as a 2. I don't know why it's seen this way, I guess you would have to ask a scout. JB did say yesterday on his radio show that the difference between Lydon and Mal is Lydon is more of a well rounded player, where Malachi is a scorer. I think the issue with Mal might be is he is a cross between a 2/3 right now because he isn't a great ball handler yet, and the NBA doesn't see him as being able to rebound as a 3. Also guys like Lydon are more difference makers in todays NBA, than guys like Mal. There's 2 Iman Shumpert/Jr Smiths on just about every team.

True. I do think by the end of next year (assuming he stays) Mal's handle will be where it needs to be to warrant getting drafted. He's getting better and better with it. I also agree with JB's assessment of Mal more of a scorer while Lydon more well rounded.

Just out of curiosity, who in the NBA is Lydon like (or going to play like)?

Not sure, but i guess he would be a small ball four who can shoot, pass, block shots, and be used as the screener in the pick in roll. Obviously he needs to gain weight/get stronger, that's why he won't leave this year.

Again I don't know, just posted what the Draft sites have updated. Jonathan Givony is a great follow on twitter if your interested in this stuff. He's connected to GM's and was all over Lydon before the season started.

It's weird, with a lot of stuff I agree with you top to bottom 100% and others it's the opposite, but everything you mentioned here I agree with.

I don't see how Mal isn't athletic, is he MCW athletic, no, but he is not somebody who'd I consider athletically challenged, all that said I don't see Lydon's athleticism grading out to be anything more than average. He's got a nice wingspan and blocks some shots, but what has he done showing this athleticism that would make somebody say, "wow, that's pure athleticism".

Get Lydon on some gear an NBA training regiment and supplements and have him put on 25 lbs this offseason. At 235 lbs he would be a beast.

If he gets up to 210, he's basically the same size as Harrison Barnes. If he can get up to like 230 and potentially still grow another inch or so, he'll be more like Ryan Anderson.

Either way, he has got to beef up. There is no chance he can be an all-in PF at the NBA level. He is a three with stretch four potential.

If he gets up to 210, he's basically the same size as Harrison Barnes. If he can get up to like 230 and potentially still grow another inch or so, he'll be more like Ryan Anderson.

Either way, he has got to beef up. There is no chance he can be an all-in PF at the NBA level. He is a three with stretch four potential.

Just to note, people on this board said he'd be an NBA 5 early this season :)

I can't think of a 3 Lydon could guard in the NBA.

Just to note, people on this board said he'd be an NBA 5 early this season :)

Not sure who said that, but I definately said before the season he would be the 5 for us and nobody believed me.

I've gotten to the point where I just assume they are leaving early(sigh). I wish they would stick around more. Let's just enjoy them when they are here and playing well.

Malachi is a poor man's James Young (who has spent 2 years in Maine for the NBDL). He should stay but i'm sure he'll leave because he wants the cash asap. It won't be his best decision.

How about a 4?

If he can bulk up, when he does that he'll lose mobility which is currently an asset which I don't think will bode well for him. I'm sure he'll get drafted one day but I really don't see him carving out a long or very good NBA career.

So if I'm summarizing things correctly, we need to rack up enough wins down the stretch to earn an NCAA bid while also hoping that Mal's performance does not put him in the spotlight. Is it even possible for the team to elevate itself without Mal going gangbusters?

So if I'm summarizing things correctly, we need to rack up enough wins down the stretch to earn an NCAA bid while also hoping that Mal's performance does not put him in the spotlight. Is it even possible for the team to elevate itself without Mal going gangbusters?

I personally hope Mali goes all Melo on everybody and we win a National Championship. But of course the selfishness of people who want the poor kid to do well, but not do well enough to better himself for his career gets in the way of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom