Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

To me, it's concerning because there doesn't seem to be much movement in the transfer portal on the Cuse end. It'd be okay if we had a reliable and skilled center coming in (portal or recruit)

The potential issues Maliq may have with Syracuse next year existed a few weeks ago when he said he's returning and said he's all about loyalty. Was there a significant development in the portal that we don't know about yet? Was Donnie going to come off the bench and he demanded he start? Did Maliq get lured out with NIL?

Can we please stop devaluing Maliq! The kid is a amazing Defender, And was really the glue to our team. It's not his fault he was forced to play out of position... Some team is gonna be really lucky to have a player like him... Let's just hope it's not an ACC team.

Right, which is why I thought the plan was to find a center and play Maliq at the 4 (in a rotation with Donnie obviously). Is our NIL so bad we can’t keep anyone? Who are we spending money on if not Maliq?
Cobra Starship Literally My Favorite Band In 2008 GIF by mtv

As of now we have 5 open scholarships? Is that correct? If thats the case we need to get more involved in the portal? Thats a big lift imo

these kids clearly don't give a about this program

all about the name on the back of jersey these days
As it would be for 95% of us if given a chance to maximize opportunities short term and long term. The inference that back in the day kids would have given up $$ and bypassed what they thought was best for them personally bc of loyalty to a school is a bit myopic.

I wish Brown, and all well. Here’s how I really feel though:

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.

I hope Red brings in talent that buys into his style and brings some pride back to the orange.

I wish Maliq would stay but I’m not going to be upset. This isn’t CJ Fair.
I was going to give this a love but then realized it’s a sad and accurate depiction of our current state. Perfectly said (I’m still upset because Maliq is the perfect glue guy on a good team)

Kid is not a center and does not want to play center. Who can blame him.
Agree. Just surprising that his departure may confirm that we’re not planning to go crazy hard after a real center this offseason? Because we should have been planning for that since last October.

Or did he just not want to chance it?

As the treasurer/recording secretary of the official Maliq Brown fan club, I’m announcing that I’m going with him.
Very disappointing to lose one of my favorite players and posters in the same thread.

Best of luck to both of you in your future endeavors.

You will both always be part of the Orange family.

I did, however, take the liberty of DMing you a complete list of people to take with you.

Agree. Just surprising that his departure may confirm that we’re not planning to go crazy hard after a real center this offseason? Because we should have been planning for that since last October.

Or did he just not want to chance it?
There’s not that many difference making centers in the portal.

Boeheim left the program in rough shape. The remnants of that are on full display.

Lets see what Red does now that its his turn.
Brown leaving has nothing to do with Boeheim. I don't think you are saying that but its a little unclear. if we think Brown is a good player and worth keeping and we aren't keeping him then this is solely on Autry. He had a year to recruit the portal and a year to develop Brown, build a relationship and develop a plan for when another highly recruited PF would come in. If Brown is leaving because we would force him to play center or told him he would have to come off the bench then the loss is on Autry. Even if we have overvalued Maliq, it's a significant loss from the team and greatly weakens the lineup.

If it's simply about the $ then the lack of $ would also be a problem Boeheim had to deal with (players getting paid well even before NIL madness).

I like Red. He still has runway. But in no way has he done enough for me to have blind faith in him.

Could he get it right for next year? Hope so.

But this loss is on Red. He has to fix it.
On Red? How? That’s crazy.

There’s not that many difference making centers in the portal.
I’m sure. All I know is that I’ve watched a slew of wide bodies pound the glass for all manner of teams over the past 2 weeks. And we haven’t had one of those types in eons.

For SU “difference maker” could be as much as a mid-major who can give us 22 minutes and 7 boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom